Sanmatar pisses on the Ray's grave, again

It is for times like these that I possess a strategic collective punishment reserve.

So does division. I’m not sure the Republic should seek enemies within when there are more than enough enemies without.

2 Likes

That presumes we wouldn’t stop shooting one another to shoot someone else butting their nose into our collective business.

History says otherwise.

1 Like

There’s wisdom in fighting both. I for one would hate to fight against a totalitarian shithole and then find out my nation has become the same.
He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

2 Likes

I don’t see internecine warfare amongst the Amarr. In fact, they seem rather unified, the biggest contention outside of religious matters being whether Minmatar should be reclaimed as slaves, or left alone. And they don’t usually come to blows over it.

Even though the Republic has the Federation’s backing, having a civil conflict doesn’t really help winning back your people and building a strong defense against Empire aggression.

When the only virtue your society holds as inviolate is obedience, you’ll get that. Literally every other virtue, they throw away the moment they’re ordered to.

And not for nothing, but ‘be more like the Amarr!’ isn’t exactly gonna get any traction.

I can only offer advice. Whether it is worth listening to, or simply disregarding, is up to you.

I find it disconcerting that in the current political climate in the Republic it is held that recourse to violence is a solution to be promulgated as the solution to the myriad issues our people face. The recent pardons of groups like the Bloody Hands or Defiants lionizes those who believe that immediate violence against the Amarr Empire is the primary responsibility of the Republic and its people. This is an unsurprising move by Sanmatar Shakor who has often used his credentials as a freedom fighter to bludgeon his critics – both metaphorically and literally – as somehow lacking his same convictions at best, or as traitors, collaborators, or appeasers with the Amarr at worst.

This was demonstrated by Shakor’s own treatment of the Ray of Matar in the past, because regardless of what flowery prose the Sanmatar reserves for Karin Midular posthumously it does not negate his past criticism of her policies which were often couched in the derisive rhetoric of accusations of appeasement towards the Amarr Empire. By Shakor’s own words Midular was a villain now made a hero, a hypocrisy made worse by the fact that Karin Midular can no longer speak her own mind about her treatment by the man, or the monuments raised in her memory Shakor has decided to create.

To me, violence towards the Amarr Empire is increasingly being used as political tool of populism by the Sanmatar. One is expected to maintain a vociferous attitude towards the Empire and the Amarr lest one be condemned as Chief Karin Midular was as a traitor, collaborator or appeaser – an enemy of the people. Inconvenient realities are ignored such as the fact that the Republic fought the Vindication Wars against the Mandate for over a century without achieving victory or success. If the Republic could not defeat a puppet state that had Amarr support then how is the Republic expected to carry out a successful war against the Empire itself?

Discussion that seeks to address the actual reality of the Republic position which it finds itself in is labelled as defeatism or treason. What seems to be required by Shakor instead is the blind belief that hating or killing the Amarr is enough, and that somehow with enough of it everything else will follow through to success. That I think is nothing more than just wishful thinking.

2 Likes

Minor Houses do wage war with each other with some regularity, I believe. Say in YC109 this made international news:

As the Bleak Lands became more unstable, the situation in the key Kor-Azor region of the Amarr Empire seemed as if it might calm down, as the minor houses of Darabi and Miyan held a peace summit in Kor-Azor Prime. The warfare between these minor houses, who had been fighting over a point of honor concerning the daughter of Holder Iraj Darabi (as well as a territorial dispute), had been of such concern that Amarr capsuleers had involved themselves in the diplomacy. Unfortunately, whatever hopes the summit may have promised were dashed as the meeting went on. With the territorial claims over the Nebian system causing uproar among both sides, Mina Darabi was confronted by House Miyan’s Commander Harkan and fainted. The summit soon broke up, deadlocked. Hostilities were resumed only two days later when a Darabi transporter was fired on by Miyan forces, breaking the ceasefire.

Well said.

I should have clerified that I meant on a large scale. My apologies. I do know there is relatively low-level conflict in every empire. There certainly is between the Megacorps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.