Scan Strength of Wormholes VS J Space Destination

Is there any relation between the strength of a wormhole and where it leads to? Someone once speculated if you’re stuck trying to scan yourself out of a wormhole because someone shut it, that I should ignored Level III signatures since they won’t lead back to empire space. I don’t know if that’s true, but it would be interesting if wormhole destinations correlated with scan strength, although I’d honestly prefer it if each destination had a distribution of scan strengths, but any destination could have Level I wormholes to them.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Wormholes

This will answer all your questions

That page didn’t even mention single word about OP question

2 Likes

Wormhole ‘scanning difficulty’ level span from Level 1 - Level 4. So far there is no correlation between wormhole destination and wormhole signature scan level specifically, though some lower levels do tend to lead to lower classes, and lower classes are more connected to empire/kspace.

It’s worth noting that K162 side of any wormhole is always level 1.
Example; N062 (spawning in C2 and leading to C5) have Level 3 scanning difficulty, but it’s K162 side is Level 1.
So technically you can have Level 1 wormhole leading to C1 (like Z647 does) and C5 (through K162)

I will also say that scanning project to sort all wormhole types into their scanning difficulty level is on the go right now, and results will be put up on Wormhole type info tool - https://whtype.info on the next update.

1 Like

So the answer to correlation is “maybe, but we didn’t see any yet” and “Level 1 can lead to just about anywhere” cool thanks.

Correct. All frigate holes, leading to any class (C13 included) are Level 1 too.

This didn’t answer OPs question at all. Did you even read what you linked?

pathfinder says that a NS static in a c3 has a scan strenght of 2,5 % while a C4 to C4 is 6,67%. I believe that the higher the WH class, the harder it is to scan but by a small margin

What do you mean by 5% and 67%?

From my understanding with pathfinder and I could be wrong, this is the difficulty level to scan those wormholes.

Accordig to my experience, I need mostly (80%) for any static WH three cycle to scan down.
Random WH’s I catch mostly within two cycles.

There is a relationship, but it’s not very simple: each wormhole type has a certain scan difficulty, for example if you are in a C2:

1. Z647 (C2 → C1) and D382 (C2 → C2) are lvl I
  2. O477 (C2 → C3) and Y683 (C2 → C4) are lvl II
  3. N062 (C2 → C5) and R474 (C2 → C6) are lvl III

so there, the lower class WH are easier to scan down. However, if you’re in a C5 then a H296 (C5 → C5) is much easier to scan down than a M267 (C5 → C3) (the latter is on the harder end of lvl III) and so the situation is (at least for those two WH) reversed.

If you want to you could print out the table on Anoik.is and take notes on the scan strength of every WH type you find. Once the table is filled up, if you know where you are you could eliminate some WHs before you pinpoint them.

If you do this, please report the results :smiley:

Wait so for this example… will it be this scan strength 100% of the time or is O477 something like scan strength I 1/8 times and scan strength II 7/8 of the time?

An O477 has a fixed scanning difficulty, it will always be lvl II (but you only see the scan difficulty once you’ve scanned it to 50% or so), how many scans it takes you to scan that down will depend on skills/fit/implants/strategy/luck. Same holds for every other wh/sig type.

Eve uni used to have a list of scanning difficulties a few years ago (numeric… before the eve client started reporting them as scan levels), dunno where that went though…

Amazing to see so much ignorance about something that has been unchanged in the game since 2009.

The ‘difficulty levels’ are a relatively recent addition by CCP and do not fully map to the different actual sizes/difficulties of signatures. They should be ignored.

The smallest type of wormhole (eg the M267 leading from C5 to C3) are size 1.25. The largest wormhole are size 10 and include any K162, but also many other types, eg H296 C5 to C5, U210 C3 to lowsec.

The most common types are size 5 and 10. Since many other signatures like gas sites have the same size, these are not very useful. But other wormholes have a more unique size which can be used to avoid scanning every signature in a system if you are only looking for a specific type of wormhole.

For example, the type of wormhole spawning in hisec or lowsec that leads to a C2 is of a unique size (for hisec). Therefore I can easily identify any outgoing C2 wormhole in a hisec system by just one scan, while warping from gate to gate, without having to actually scan it down first. And if you are in a C3 with a hisec static and are only interested in finding that wormhole, you can ignore everything except size 5 signatures, which can save a lot of time scanning a dozen data or relic sites.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.