Secure mining

none taken :smile:

1 Like

tell me who sent me to BUGG?! unhandled exception 0x000d793b in evelaucher.exe 0xC0000005 access violation reading location 0x00000000 Bdcom in what I am guilty before you ISD and before CCP?

wrong thread and forum, go here.

1 Like

I always wonder when this is said. Do you actually align and move at 75% max velocity so you can warp out instantly when needed? I find this highly unpractical since you’re out of range of the asteroids pretty quickly plus you want the Orca to be close to the asteroids to avoid lengthy drone travel times. How do you handle this?

1 Like

There are two things that can ease this issue. The first is to slow the ship using a Higgs Anchor and/or other modules with speed penalties, thus making it take longer before the ship is out of range or at a serious distance disadvantage.

The other is to set up tactical bookmarks around your asteroid or ice field that are opposite one another so you can reverse direction when you start to get a significant enough distance away from your target that you’ve got a problem.

Thanks for all the information and opinions, was 1 day away, sry.

First i have to ask, someone showed a orca downed…it would be ineresting to know what fitting it had, if it was a tanked one. Anyway, losing a orca would be a desaster for me, that much isk.
To the hulk: since it has arund 20% more output then a skiff, i think a bit lesser, its not worth using it so the combination orca/skiff might be the best.
I knew that being afk/semi afk is very unpopular in eve, but i had to be honest if i want correct answers. Thing is, i really like eve, everythig in it, but i cannot stare for hours to a mining laser, i just can’t.
I find that many kills are because of being at war, because of being in a corp…when you look at the kills, many are because of war, so staying out of a corp could be a point for safeness also.

Someone mentioned that the safest way for mining would be finding a corp in low/null sec and mine there. Problem is, which corp would accept a semi-afk, non-pvping member `and is securing a ganker-safe area ? I have no problem with corp tax, but im not a very social type to be honest, always been a loner.

1 Like

Beats me on indy ships, I don’t fly them. It’s a practice I was taught many many many years ago, as part of situational awareness doctrines. If you have to be involved, you are involved, and more aware. It’s tied to a concept known as OODA Loops. Worth reading up on. Mechanisms and regularity of checks & balances is a big part of it, and it applies to a lot of EVE.

But yes, it’s the ones who are active, who align, who monitor, who keep busy, that get away and live :slight_smile:

That’s why they invented the survey scanner and put a calculator in game. Do some maths and you have a task.
And a second screen showing https://forums.eveonline.com is very handy, too :slight_smile:

Btw it’s much more healthy to stare at the overview and local chat (flashies!) and Dscan (you may spot a gathering of potentially mean ships).

2 Likes

I fully agree with that last statement, pay attention and your odds of survival greatly increase. In my opinion though, that aligning part is not really needed and is often repeated by people who do not practise that advice themselves. No offence. Keeping aligned is a good tip for when you run a misison / site in lowsec and there are hostiles around so you can warp away in a split second or even in highsec under a wardec. So in general, keeping aligned is solid advice, just not when mining in an Orca / Hulk combo. Higgs rigs to slow down your ship just so you can keep aligned is possible, but not really needed or practical. Sure you can make bookmarks and balance your align between a few points but belts change and the range to the asteroid is really imporant. If you pay attention to your surroundings, you can always escape in time. It is however very important to have a clean align path that is not obstructed with a structure or asteroid so keep an eye out for that.

To share a bit of my experience to the newer players, I will explain how I manage to mine in Hulks / Orca’s in highsec without being ganked (yet!). Be adviced, it’s long.

As the previous poster said you have to be alert. Have to know what is going on around you. Who are the people in local and what are they doing there? How do you find that out? Well, first it’s probably not something you take care of in an hour, it takes time. The good part is that you have that time during your mining sessions.

D-scan: Set your d-scan filters so you can see only ships and scanner and combat probes around you. While mining, hit that scan button (default keybind ‘V’) often and monitor what ships are around you. If you spot another ship nearby, try to find out what its purpose is. Do you see a t1 scanning frig and there is a signature nearby, it’s probably going to scan that signature. Check for the type of probes it launches. If scanner probes, he is scanning for a signature, if combat probes he is trying to scan down a ship, drone or MTU. Combat probes might seem scary but in my experience it’s often not targetted to you. Reduce the range of your d-scan to see how close these probes are and get worried when they get too close (1-2AU). I could list a lot of scenarios but I tink this is a process that teaches you a lot while figuring this out yourself and is also a lot of fun.

People in local: Know your neighbours. With d-scanning your surroundings you probably already have a picture of what is happening in your system and now the trick is to connect the ships to players in local. You see “Jimmy TheMiner” around a lot? Research him. Does he belong to a corp and if so, what kind of corporation is it? Oh it’s called “local system mining corp”, so you check their killboard and it’s totally empty. Right, they probably are your local mining corp and no real danger to you. You might even set their standings slightly positive (tip: you can add whole corporations/alliances to your contacts and give them a standing) so you can spot them in local at a glance. Same goes for possible hostiles. Do you see someone in local who starts flashing yellow? Check their killboard. He might just be looting leftover wrecks in the belts or he might be shooting at an MTU of a misison runner. Find out if it’s a threat to you and sort the regular people in groups.
I once had a local miner who was jealous at my operation and he often reshipped into a ganking destroyer to try and kill one of my augmented drones. It was fun to keep alert, watch his moves on d-scan. I never warped out when he came for me in his destroyer, but I did recall my expensive drones in-time beofre he landed. One time I was too late and he got one of the drones into half armor, saved him just in time. It makes mining a bit more interesting.

Killboards: Use them to check the recent kills in your system, preferrably every day before you start mining. Again, try to figure out why these kills happen. Are they regular kills during a wardec or are there locals around who suicide people? And if suicides, what ships do they target? Do you see a lot of retriever kills then you might want to fly a procurer as a counter. Ar they just targetting Hulks, then you might decide to stay in the retriever etc. As above, dd the local gankers to your contacts and mark them red.

3 Likes

Thanks for that post, they should stick it as miner-security tips, to colour and check local people suits great for me.

2 Likes

In my experience, there’s a lot of confusion about what it means to be aligned. Many of us older players consider it to be 75% velocity in the direction of our intended warp destination. For younger or newer players, I find they consider it to mean facing in the direction of their intended warp destination at 0% velocity.

Since the word Align does not, by real world definition, include velocity, I can see why this dissonance is an ever present, but small, issue we have to deal with as new players evolve into veterans.

Indeed and, given that it does not matter where your client shows your ship pointing if you are at 0% velocity, this “alignment” is completely useless.

Having rigs and fit that lowers your max velocity so you can spend a lot of time in range of asteroids while at 75% of max velocity is by far the safest way to mine. You can instantly warp off as soon as someone enters local (or shows up on your overview if in a WH). The main drawback is that it is a defence that only really works IF you pay attention to the game, which is hard to do continuously when mining…

2 Likes

For the purposes of time to enter warp, yes, facing is completely irrelevant. I don’t think it is completely useless, however, depending on the way a player prefers to hit their buttons.

When ship at 0 velocity is given the instruction to turn on the engine, it resumes in the direction it was last ordered to travel. Players who tend to turn on the engine first may save some time, either by beginning their alignment into warp sooner, or because they won’t initially begin traveling in the wrong direction.

I try not to tell players how to play, but rather what the rules of the game are, or the likely consequences of taking an action. If they feel that facing their ship makes a difference because of their play style, then that’s good enough for me. It doesn’t hurt anything, at least.

It never occurred to me that someone might start moving and then issue a warp command, since issuing the warp command gets you moving and essentially does both at once. Fair enough. I’m not sure why one would do that, but you could.

I’ll continue to go at 75% speed when mining in hostile territory!

In hostile territory, aligning is indeed a very good idea! Glad that the aligning mechanic is also made clear, yes I automatically assume that aligning is also moving at 75% speed.

I think it’s important to understand the difference between these two. You don’t want to just point your ship into the right direction when your fleet commander orders the fleet to align to gate X, you want to also start moving.

Soooooo should I,

a: Orbit the can at 75%, then when a bad dude shows up, click warp and I’m outta there.
b: Sit next to the can a 0 speed, but be aligned, then when a bad dude shows up, click warp and I’m outta there.
c: It doesn’t matter Syd, you’re not fast enough to react and you’re gonna popped anyway, just hit cloak and wiggle outta there.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The ony way to be sure that you can instantly warp is to be aligned to your warp destination and moving at 75%. Orbiting something is not useful for the purpose as even if you have the speed, you will take about as long to align as starting from stationary. However, orbiting does make it more difficult for a bad guy to warp in close to you (which is important for the high DPS gank ships typically used) so they might choose to instead go for a competitor of yours.

Mining aligned is possible, and how the few people who do it mine in lowsec, but since you have to mine while moving in a straight line, you probably need to both: a) fit something like a Higgs rig to slow your ship (or web it) and b) set up a few bookmarks so you can go back and forth while aligned. It is definitely the safest way to mine but takes constant vigilance and almost no one does it in highsec.

Oh and your b. does nothing. Which direction your ship appears to to face at rest will not change how long it takes you to enter warp.

1 Like

Depends.
Does the Hulk yield is so much better? You can use a tanked skiff and jetcan stuff out and tractor it in without a mtu(this can be wrecked easily.

Also check the area and times for ‘regulars’. Also add code alliance to corp standing -10.

Other asynchronous tactics:
Attrition.
Use a covetor as disposeable ship, manufacture them and the basic fittings. Use them as suicide miner ships.

Diplomacy
You can also donate millions of your profits proactively to code alliance or manufacture the t1 ships and basic fittings (zkillboard has the details) they use and deliver them to their HQ in Uedama and contract it for 1 ISK.

This will not make you immune to resist the anti bot aspirancy but reduces the risk %.

a: That is the worst thing you could do, if you want a fast warp out. Orbiting a can can help with decreasing the damage the npc rats do to you so it has it’s uses… But if you want to warp out and you happen to be flying in the opposite direction, it takes much longer to warp than if you were stationary.
b: As we kinda explained a few posts ago, sitting still is not aligned. It doesn’t matter if you point the nose of your ship in a certain direction. Aligning from 0 velocity always takes the same amount of time.
c: As long as you pay attention to local and d-scan you can survive with pretty good odds.

Personally I would go for B and just sit still while watching my surroundings. Warp out if danger pops up.

1 Like

@Black_Pedro @Niko_Johnson

Yea, I always keep an eye on dscan, if if something looks out of place, I cloak and hide in a corner until they leave. I’ve only been exploded once…yay!
Just wondering af A or B would have been a better defense.

Thanks for todays lesson :slight_smile:

2 Likes