TBH, I don’t think this incident should sway you either way.
Unironically this is probably the least significant security issue I’ve ever seen disclosed (lifetime, all softwares).
well they were dissapointed by mine i believe, not a lot of isk, if they could have seen my asset hanger, that would be a different story.
What is strange is that of my 6 main chars, 5 are affected…and all 5 have 500m ISK or more…and the only one not affected has a mere 4m ISK ( he’s my scout ). It looks almost as if whoever did it already knew the scout char had very little ISK.
That’s an interesting observation. Of my alts that are basically broke (20m or less), none were sent a donation. Hmm… That does suggest a bit of target selection.
EDIT: Caveat, we must keep in mind that such small sample sizes can make coincidence look significant when it’s not.
mine is at about 20 mil and it got donated to
I have chars in an alliance that were both affected and not affected…so I don’t see how entire alliances are being targeted. And this char ( Gloria ) is in a tiny 7 person corp and both my chars in it were affected.
My guess is they targeted alphabetically, as all my affected chars have names starting in first half of alphabet. In fact I just noticed four of them have names starting A,B,C, and D…lol.
I have two alts with names at the beginning and end of the alphabet (respectively), and neither were affected.
that was my theory
So far every character of mine that has received the donation has had at least one k or l on zkill, and every character that has not received the donation has had zero killboard history.
That’s consistent with me as well.
I have exactly the same…of my 6 main chars 5 have killboards and were affected, and the only char not affected has no killboard ( or rather he is listed on KB but has no stats ).
One technique I can think of to rapidly and lazily enumerate character IDs would be to simply use the R2Z2 feed from zkill, which basically just spits out a killmail sequentially with each request. Set that to running, stuff all the unique charIDs seen (attackers and victims) into a DB, and off you go. Plug your ID list into your Evil-Eve client and you’re Gaming.
Think it supports up to 15 requests per second and a single killmail could have hundreds of characterIDs on the attacker side.
Think there are some other api endpoints for zkill, as well, but I’ve only ever used the live feed ones (r2z2 now and redisq previously).
Still very speculative but it seems at least not-unlikely to me.
Coincidence then. One of my characters with 100k in the wallet received the ‘donation’. Another had 4m or so. Meridan had 57b at the time. So, no pre-selection there.
I thought of that, but not true in my case. I had an affected character with name starting with S.
Do we get to keep the isk they sent?
Yes, all none of it.
This is unconfirmed, but someone suggested that having a killboard made you a target, check if the characters which weren’t “scammed” have a KB
Not true for me at all. I have an alt I created for the Gallente Election event, so created in 2026. No public records at all (outside the evewho). Zero killboard. Low wallet. And he was affected.
Well bang goes that theory
RIP.
Could probably also source from Evewho in a similar way, though.