"self defense" function for drones

It would be cool if there was an option in the drones menu to make your drones attack anything that attacks your drones. This would make ratting in the drone regions in a big ship with drones alot more enjoyable, since the enemy drones like to engage your drones. It also would make sense for them to act in self defense since they are pretty autonomous allready.

1 Like

Drones treat anything that attacks them the same as anything that attacks you. They should auto-aggro if you have the setting on.

2 Likes

But if they are allready shooting something else that attacked you they wont change targets when something attacks them, thats what I want to happen.

1 Like

You ungroup them so they can attack individual targets

I think what he wants is for drones to break off an attack to return fire on whatever is shooting the drone, by which I presume he means whatever is causing a drone to lose HP.

I don’t think this would work out the way the OP expects, though. Whatever the drones are currently shooting will have a hard time tracking them, while enemy craft farther away will be able to land hits much more easily. The drones will break off their attack, and become vulnerable from both sides when they lose transversal against their first target, and waste a lot of the time they could be applying damage to bounce back and forth between two or more targets.

It is much better for the capsuleer to manually decide which targets are high priority and instruct the drones accordingly, or to recall them if prudent to do so under the prevailing circumstances.

2 Likes

Sounds like he wants to set his drones out and leave the computer.

As Qia Kare said, the capsuleer should really pay attention and change the drones target if he/she requires it.

1 Like

@Jint_Hikaru whats the problem with having this feature, not everyone wants to be hyper efficient.

1 Like

@Qia_Kare Not everyone wants to be hyper-efficient, its annoying to have to constantly pull your drones back.

1 Like

Qia Kare Makes good points. But hey, let the capsuleer take the risks they want.

If it was me I would want automatic recall of drones where they go back to bay if they take hull, armor, or shield damage as you set them.

But even this idea is good. One thing it does is let you know WHICH enemy was attacking your drones. Figuring that out can be difficult. Once you know you can make decisions based on that information.

What happens when more than one NPC is attacking drones?

Seems like this is going to result in drones doing a lot of flying back and forth to get to targets and not actually applying any damage

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.