Self Shield Boosting Battlecrusier

If I want to fight Serpentis, is the Cyclone or the Drake better for a heavy missile BC with an active shield tank and have a battery in the mid slot? Drake has resistance boosts which means shield boosters are more effective. It also has more EHP, which isn’t my primary concern, but it is nice and could be a tiebreaker. Cyclone gives an outright boost to boosters. Cyclone also mas more base capacitor to begin with. Hang on, but since I’m using kinetic missiles, doesn’t the Drake do more DPS?

1 Like

Drake is usually fitted passive. Also, you might want to pay a bit more and get Drake Navy, much stronger. I never saw Cyclone being used in pve…

2 Likes

Do you see it at all?

2 Likes

I’d be inclined to go for a passive fitting Drake with resists set to manage the Serpentis damage. The Drake has a better bonus to Kinetic missiles which also works well against Serpentis.

I suspect the answer is: either will work alright but tune them for the objective.

3 Likes

active-tank drake is the better choice , if you’re equally skilled between the two ships . invest in a c-type medium booster , correct resist mods , you should be fine .
you could go passive and fill your lows with shield power relays and fit purger rigs .
I’d rather fit ballistic controls and application / cap rigs ; you’ll get much better performance from the ship .

Ah so even with an active tank Drake is still better? Thanks.

You will want to use a basic buffer fit hml drake. Its far better an an active fit drake. Use purger rigs.

ok here are the things
A naked drake has ± 28 ehp/s versus thermal
with a LSB it goes high BUT you can’t have the cap for it, so you need modules for cap and you have a tight PG.
with a MSB you add ±54 BUT you are still not cap stable ; so if you add 1 MSH+AB you need 3 T1 cap rigs and you reach ±105 EHP/s

with a LSE, 1 MSH+AB and 3 T1 purgers you reach ±116 EHP/s
With a 2nd LSE you gain +30% EHP/s=> ±151 EHP/s

with SB+SBA you reach ±145 EHP/s.

So if you need only ± 140 EHP/s then both are the same : they can reach it with 3 rigs and 3 mods.
But then the passive fit can use shield power relays, because each of them multiplicatively adds 33.7% more. with 2 relays the passive drake reaches ±270 EHP/s vs th.
Meanwhile the active fit can’t have such an efficient increase in its rep capacity, unless going with blingy mods.

1 Like

What kind of PvP is this?

Usually, for solo, the Cyclone is better, but you use HAMs on it. I see the XLASB Invuln AB scram MJD yatta yatta one sometimes. The lows are lots of fitting mods because that is the Cyclone’s weakness. Horrible fitting for anything that uses powergrid.

*cries in minmatar

Medium? On a battlecruiser?
Gross, either passive tank it or turn that into a large or XL if you can. You’ll need cap boosters/batteries. Plural.

For PvE, sometimes. For PvP, NO!

Whoops! Wrong forum. For some reason when I try to make a post, the site tries to dump it in the last place I was making a post, but then decided to change my mind and go elsewhere. I guess it did it again and went to PVP because I remember typing up a post there and then seeing someone already answer my question. Then I tried to switch forums and make this post

updated to PvE Ships & Modules - EVE Online Forums

1 Like

[Drake, ***Drake thermal]
Ballistic Control System II
Missile Guidance Enhancer II

Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Pithum C-Type Medium Shield Booster
Dread Guristas Kinetic Shield Hardener
Compact Thermal Shield Amplifier
Dread Guristas Thermal Shield Hardener
10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

Heavy Missile Launcher II

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Core Defense Operational Solidifier I
Medium Warhead Rigor Catalyst I

Hornet II x5

Scourge Heavy Missile x1519
Scourge Precision Heavy Missile x1449
Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile x1146
Scourge Fury Heavy Missile x1831
Mjolnir Heavy Missile x400
Agency ‘Hardshell’ TB3 Dose I x1

150 mill may be consider bling , but the only expensive module is the booster , that makes this whole fit work well . 266 hp/s vs. thermal .
this fit is on an alpha clone .

you can get a better passive tank , while it’s possible to overtank , i’ve never heard of having too much dps or application . that’s where an active tank is superior to passive .

2 Likes

And my fit has 270 EHP/s vs thermal for 20M in fit.
Now if I want to “'bling it” I use T2 purgers and CN power relays and I reach 330 EHP/s for less than total 150M in fit. with two missile guidance computers in the mids

Also you are using thermal-specific items while I used multispectrum.
If I use thermal modules I get 510 EHP/s vs therm. for 76M. Total.
And the blinged fit reaches 770 EHP/s vs thermal. for total 235M. close to three times your active fit value.

Can’t a battery fix this?

Edit: Ok it doesn’t, but a battery in a prophecy lets you run a medium armor repair for a long time, so I assume a Drake with a batter can run a MSB for a very long time

SBs and Armor Reps are different beasts entirely. A MAR is comparable to a LSB, or more accurately the MAAR is comparable to the LASB, as the MAAR is usually used inconjunction with a regular MAR on brawl ships (e.g. Rupture, Thorax) or on its own in kiters (e.g. Omen, OmNI), just like how dual LASBs are used on brawlers(e.g. Stabber, Vagabond) (but XLASB is more common(e.g. Moa, Stabber)) while the single is used on kiters(e.g. Stabber, Hurricane).

Batteries add a base cap value, so a base cap regen % . If that % is lower than the one given by another module, it’s not worth using a cap battery as it costs PG.

I think this depends on your play, style, if you want to boost, I would say the cyclone as it has a bonus to it means you can down size your booster, save your cap, cpu on the fit, but if you like passive fit then drake, I run a cyclone Fleet in lvl 3 missions and it worked fine

I usually prefer Active Shield > Active Armor > passive shield. Armor is better with the smexy adaptive armor resist, but something about shields I love PERSONALLY and feeling safer having less red bars…

but most amarr ships will use a active armor setup (with drone boats being able to do a shield or armor)

My experience is Batteries > Regen on Minmatar ships, and Regen > batteries on a Amarr ship, Cap boosters are GREAT, but costly.

NOTE: batteries can still be better + neut bonus on amarr ships but it isn’t as always a clear winner like minmatre ships when they have a very low base cap vs amarr having a high cap.

Ultimately regen is easier to fit so you may want it jsut for that in a tight fit.

Either way you can’t go wrong with a battlecruiser active tank.

PS: Stop being a heretic and fly a harbinger / Oracle / Prophecy (Turkey)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.