[SERIOUS] How would you re-design Highsec if you could?

I’m just brainstorming here. I know you are very vigilant in always pointing out I’m wrong, so be gentle.

Personally, I do find it interesting to tie missions to some actual game play other than just isk generation. But I’ve been very vocal about wanting to change the current PvE systems.

Changing PvE systems isn’t a bad idea. I’ve called for some changes there myself. Though it is a double edged sword and if done wrong will be terrible for Eve. Look at the crying over a 5 minute nerf to anomaly spawn timers in null atm for an example of how even a tiny change upsets people.

However the reason I called your idea of tying it to sec status a rigged system is because it’s a one way street pretty much. Once it becomes low sec it is super easy for pirates to keep it low sec. So they only have to win once, while the people wanting it highsec have to keep winning every single day of the year.

Add onto this that you aren’t rewarded bit most of the time actively punished by CCP mechanics for working with others in highsec and you have a recipe for disaster. Then take your 70% or so highsec population, remove them from the game and watch the obvious results. Highsec is needed for player base and for game balance.

Yeah, it was probably rigged in the form I wrote, since the burden of “flipping” the system is on the highseccer.

I think, the idea was born out of my wish to get some form of sov system “light”. But basically that is FW, so maybe I really just wish CCP finally would take a look at that behemoth :smiley:

Grrr CCP.

How is high sec necessary for EVE to be healthy? If you haven’t noticed - EVE is not healthy! The game’s largest economy (Jita-Amarr) is protected by gate guns and CONCORD. This zone needs to be fully open to PvP. The carebears do not deserve to be shielded by the AI, they need to learn how to PvP and defend themselves. Everybody will have more fun if you take away the safety net.

People do not leave EVE because it is too hard, they leave because it is BORING. Although billed as a game full of risk, the reality is that EVE is stale and conservative, its very easy to avoid conflict altogether and never take any risks whatsoever.

3 Likes

Set the 4 empires back into a game of thrones style war, were they involve capsuleers in a way outside of FW where you can be a hired gun make the landscape change with daily wars, Concord only protecting the .8 to 1.0 systems.

Eve is about spaceship violence, and should become everything it’s marketed for, a never ending war on a single server…

1 Like

From a pure storyline point of view, having a new faction fight one (or more) of the existing empires for sovereignty in low and high sec. The players could either fight on the empire’s side, gaining standing and loot or they could choose the new faction. Systems taken would see all NPC stations and structures destroyed with the winning side having looting privileges. Systems taken would lose security status, down to 0.2 and the winning faction (empire) would have to build the system back up. As the system got built back up, the winner could chose to add security and bring the system back to high-sec status.

Huge game engine changes, Deciding where the new faction struck next would need a mechanism, how fast they recover to take the next system, where Blood Angels and other private factions align, and what the mega-alliances do will all cause major conflict.

It would create lots of story and lots of game play - and Eve would be very different in 5 or 6 years, as the war dragged on.

Happy New Year.

I think too many new players would be disuaded from playing if there were no high sec.

1. Iwould prefer players have only limited number of local chat ability per day. Can’t stand to listen to some of them in local thumping their chest.

2. I like the ability for danger in high sec. Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose. I would not mind if there were certain systems that had rolling periods of lawlesness without warning. No one would ever know what to expect.

There should be no hi-sec at all, instead it would be similar to low sec but with the : bubble, bomb, jump drive and capital ship restrictions. There is no reason for players to make billions of isk per day running missions or hauling in total safety.

For a wardec to be valid in highsec the agressing party must have a structure anchored somewhere in highsec, and as it is now the target must also have a structure somewhere. That’ll put some stakes into the game for highsec pvpers instead of it just being a lame turkeyshoot. It’s only a battlefield if two sides are deployed.

Above all; CCP needs to communicate better with new players on how high sec works to avoid them running into unsubbing mistakes. Yeah i want the game to survive, shocker.

I love watching all the people proclaiming highs ec needs to go away, its obvious they never played a game server thats Pure PVP with loss.

there is a game i played back in high school that fits your pure pvp needs called tibia. These servers are mostly dead for new players as the servers belong to large guilds that have formed PACs with each other, unless you know someone in one of those guilds your just a fresh kill.

GM interventions are rather common as some of the large guilds will camp outside the temples were new players come to the mainland and die leaving the starting temple. a death is a loss of 10% to xp and all skills, you can be killed back to lvl 1, and a rng 10% on all gear. the only hope is to get on a new pvp server when it starts and in a major guild asap.

The majority of players play on the PVE servers

If i a redesign on empire, less npcs stations, citadel slots for limited citadels and no shorter timers, allow all belts to be mined 1 more time and all future ore will come from anoms and moons due to "exhaustion of belts.

5 Likes

I would make all null sec. No Concord. No low sec.

2 Likes

I would make all wormhole. No null sec. No CONCORD. No low sec.

1 Like

That would fix the local chat problem.

2 Likes

As 2003 vet, with growing interest in this topic in order to help eve, i think there is a few points that need to be made. Being a game developer/designer for 17 years, i believe there is needed changes out side of highsec but if i was to change it alone I would make the following changes:

1. Reduce the large isk differencial between high sec and low, and null and wormhole space
  • 100M-120M / hr in Null or Wormhole (Equal)
  • 80M-100M / hr in low security space
  • 60-80M / hr in high security space
  1. Redesign the current war eligibility to require specific types of structures, no including mining related structures (refineries, or complex’s)

2. Reduce the overall size of high security space, shifting more of it into low security space leaving only 25 systems to each primary factions primary systems.

3. Create Pirate High sec locations (so instead of just amarr, caldari, etc there would not be high sec for blood raiders, etc)

• This would help open up a swap to other factions
  1. Remove Faction ships from the market

• Create a “shipyard” for each race, faction ships can be bought at, that requires standing
      • 2.5 Standing for frigates, 5.0 for cruiser, and 7.5 for battleships
      • this will improve mission running value and the value of the ships
      • standing would be required to use faction ships
      • this would also apply to pirate factions
  2. Significantly increase the damage of gate and station guns to ignore resists, and deal around 350% more damage then they do.

3. Extend concord in some fashion to low security space

• this will help new players be more fluid in transiting into null
  4. Create an option for corporations to hire other corporations and directly pull isk from the wallet of the hiring corporation to deposit into the wallet of individuals that kill a war target they were hired to help with. add a value for the hiring corporation to set the isk amount

• This will give a rise to merc corps which will help police high sec from player entities
  5. -5.0 security standing or worse cannot dock, or enter ships in space

6. Redesign asteroid belts by adding ice to them (mixing the two together)

7. Create a ore type distribution to help gradually improve ore mining over security space

• all types of ore are accessed in any space
  • rare 5% are in low sec and null
  • rare 10% are in null npc space only
  • similar logic to ice
  1. make gas common in all regions of eve, both booster and non-booster types.
  • Sorry, this is just to big on the potential for expressive game play to be so hard to access, people love mining and should not forced to do pvp because they want to do other types of mining

Be aware and be warned: this guy is a liar.

He claims to have a char from 2003 but after being called out by Scipio Arelius, refuses to prove it. At the same time, in his first post on the forums, he’s claiming that he is a new player.

He begged on the forums for ISK, which is NOTHING someone from 2003 would be doing. Just read through this or any other of his threads to see what this guy really is about.

He’s just yet another intolerant, self-righteous, dishonest hater.

You’re welcome.

5 Likes

Dear sir, perhaps it would be more simple and straight-forward, if you would kindly request CCP provide you with unlimited isk and a permanent invulnerability timer?

4 Likes

Just one more nerf… or maybe ten or twelve more.

You really don’t get Eve do you? There is this whole thing about risk and isk… it’s a part of what makes the game fun for everyone.

Xan

The EVE you’re referring to is under significant economic stress.

It may yet survive unchanged, but this is a good time to consider possible improvements to attract/keep different kinds of player than you and your fellow EVE reactionaries.

It’s not a good time to sabotage constructive discussions.

1 Like

Nice. I was being constructive. (And you should post with your main, or are you a new player too?)

What attracts players to Eve is content, and the best content is player content. You never read in the news about battles between players and NPC’s. It’s always players verses other players.

From High Sec which is more famous, the Marmites or some random mining alliance?

Player generated content is what separates this MMO from other MMO’s. If you continue to nerf Eve it will become like all the other sad MMOs. Then it really will die.

Here is some constructive ideas:

• Roll back so many of the industrial buffs from the past.
  • Increase CONCORD reaction times, so players have to have other players to protect them while they mine. (Make anti-gankers relevant again).
  • Make High Sec smaller. (You won’t need mining NPC’s anymore)
  • Improve player retention by improving the games’ user interface.

SERIOUSLY

Some say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results…

If nerfing the game is not improving it then it’s time to change course.

1 Like

Nuke the starter systems into oblivion, close the Door and throw away the key. Problem solved.