Serious New Player question

Hello!

I’ve been sitting in the back for a while now, watching and reading about EVE online but never actually played it.

Now I’m thinking about finally start to play as an Alpha account to begin with.

But I have a few concerns.

Is the game starting to die out? Am I somewhat forced to have atleast 2-3 accounts to even be slightly successful?

As a alpha clone, will I be able to get anywhere in the game at all? Or is it just like being on a infinite tutorial island? What I mean by that is, will I be able to join bigger corps than the starter ones? And be able to participate in Corp vs Corp warfare.

Is it even possible to make enough in game money to get by? As an alpha. Considering the restrictions on skill training.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and possibly answering my questions.

Alpha is meant more as a trial period, and you are severely restricted in what you can do and how much you can earn as a result. Yes, people can be successful and get by as alphas. But it is significantly harder and this is both necessary and intended.

As someone who plays with a single character at present but used to multibox, I’ve learned that there are some things that are better (no real worries about PLEXing tons of accounts and thus lower stress) and some things that are worse (harder to scout for yourself, etc). If you only want to play a single character you should consider going Omega and hooking up with a supportive corp that will cover you. It will make your game experience a lot better.

Always. :smile:

This would entirely depend on what you want to do. And you cannot really know that until you’ve tried the game. A second account for scouting, for example, may be desirable to do some things solo, but you’ll be fine with a single account if you fly with others.

You’ll be limited in the ships you may fly, but it’s not an “infinite tutorial island”. There is no in game restriction to the ability to join corps as alpha, for example. It’s more a matter of the corp you want to join accepting alpha pilots, but most do.

Sure.

I’m not sure I understand this, tbh. Why do you feel the need to know the answer to those questions before trying the game for free? Why would you not just try it and see for yourself? What are you afraid of? I don’t get it.

2 Likes

I agree with Knowledgeminer
eve is a sandbox where everybody builds his own experience
just log in, and start playing, find the activities you like, the place where you want to be etc
dive in the swimming pool, even if you dont know how to swim
go!

1 Like

You can have a crapton™ of fun as an alpha, just give it a go, “do all the things” and keep it varied. When ur ready u’ll know if it’s time to go Omega. Drop me an in-game mail if you have any questions.

1 Like

I’m currently alpha, but plan to go omega eventually. I am still having fun playing alpha.

I’m waiting until 1) I have more time away from IRL commitments, and 2) I’ve skilled up enough basic skills while still f2p so that when I go omega, I can focus on more important omega-only skills.

There is a saying that “perfect is the enemy of good”. You have sat and waited patiently to play, maybe holding off for that perfect time. My advice - trust your instinct - EVE is at least a good if not a great game - but that’s subjective. You know how you will find out and it won’t even cost you anything but your time.

Be careful people get killed in sand boxes better if you know someone who could download the game and you can watch them play it, Much safer that way!

For your first 90 days in the game there isn’t much difference between Alpha and Omega except training speed. The skills you need (both character skills and player skills) are basically the same. By the end of 90 days you should know whether Eve is the kind of game you want to play.

In general, if you want the developers to entertain you, Eve is probably not your game - there are lots of “theme park” games built on that premise you will likely enjoy more. If you (and a group of new friends) want to entertain each other in the sandbox, you’re in the right place.

As to how long the Eve story will continue, that’s largely up to us - the players. We write the story and we nurture the new players needed to keep it going. The “Eve is dying” meme dates back to 2003 and we’re still here!

As an Alpha character, you can help write the story and the large Nullsec power blocs will be happy to give you a chance. One example: https://wiki.bravecollective.com/public/dojo/wiki/newbie

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.