Is it fun being a alpha clone?

I’ve seen many alpha clone posts but I’m wondering if it’s worth it to play as a f2p.

1 Like

It really depends on what you’re trying to do. Alphas can do ‘beginner’ activities in a lot of areas (they can fly small haulers, small mining ships, exploration ships, basic combat ships).

You’ll start to hit a block once you start moving up (ships/skills only Omegas can use). If you want to do industry, you’ll find that most activities are restricted to Omega- if you want to do combat, you’ll be able to progress a bit further as an Alpha, but you’ll eventually hit that wall.

I highly recommend that you play as an Alpha for now, and see if you actually like the game. If you’re having fun, and you’d like to move to Omega to progress further, but you can make the decision at that time. If you’re not having fun, then obviously you’ll move on.

1 Like

Being omega will offer you several advantages (i.e. can make money faster, train skills faster, fly more advanced ships), however, it is not required in order to be competitive or have fun. Lots of people (including omegas) like flying less advanced ships because:

1. Eve has a full loot death mechanic and cheap ships are easy to replace, and
  2. bigger/more expensive ships aren’t necessarily better.

Don’t get me wrong, you are going to lose ships starting out. But it won’t be because you’re not omega. It will be because you don’t know what you’re doing.

Anyway, the biggest challenge you’re going to face is finding something that you enjoy doing. The game has gotten better at exposing new players to different stuff, but it still isn’t going to give you a tour of everything there is to do. In fact, some of the things that it will introduce you to is, imho, some of the most boring content Eve has to offer.

So, this begs the question, how do you find the content that fits your play style and desires? Well… that’s a good question, and it’s one that’s CCP hasn’t even seemed to figure out yet. But that doesn’t mean that you don’t have options. First, the career agents will introduce you to mining, missioning, and exploration. The agency will tell you that some other things exist, but it doesn’t do the best job of telling you how to get into it. Moreover, most of it’s suggestions are PvE related. You can always ask on the forums for suggestions, or check out a career chart. You can also try joining a newbie friendly corp that offers a wide range of activities (such as Eve University, Pandemic Horde, or Brave Newbies). And do be aware that even these guys won’t expose you to everything that Eve has to offer. For example, the newbie nullbloc corps might have different SIG’s (special interest groups) that get into different stuff, but they are mostly going to expose you to the life of a null bloc line member (which may or may not be your bag of tea).

Anyway, you’ll eventually reach a point where you’ll be able to pay for omega time through the money you make in game without it being a huge chore. However, I do not recommend that you try doing that when starting out. You’re ability to make money will be crappy, and you’ll just end up burning yourself out. So, just play as an alpha, and worry more about having fun and learning, rather than what ships you can fly or how much money you can make.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and use my recruitment link to get 1million unallocated SP. However, I recommend that you do not redeem it right away. I know it will be tempting. But alphas are limited to training up to 5 million SP. Thus, it is better for you in the long run to passively train up to 5million SP, then redeem all the bonus SP you have in your redeeming queue (you’ll get bonus SP from login rewards as well). When it’s all said and done, you should wind up with about 6.5 million SP (depending on what freebies CCP has handed out).

2 Likes

I mean do you want to fly a spaceship and shoot things? if yes then yea it makes sense. if no, why are you even asking, holy cow you are in the wrong game.

as a new player alpha/omega really doesn’t matter all that much.

My main, Omega, plays serious long term game. Planning, resource harvesting, grinding and watching all those standings and market orders. What I would call Interesting game.

I also created Alpha as an alternative. Made a decision not to have any connection between the accounts, not a single ISK from my Omega to Alpha.

Alpha takes missions to get LP for Navy missles cheaply and then shoots up drones with no real goal. Grabs skills just to shoehorn another missile launcher into her boat, is almost always broke as almost all cash goes to new equipment or an experiment, which don’t always work as planned. No plan -see the universe and shoot missles at it- game. Fun.

Both work, see no reason to choose just one.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that chart before. I like it.

That’s why I like Assault Frigs. They are restricted to Omega, though.
So my choice is Omega, that’s for sure. Alpha is for trying or a hiatus, an appetizer.

I want to like assault frigates, but I struggle to identify good PvE content to use them on. I’m guessing you’ll recommend abyssals?

Hmm, there have been some events with easter eggs when they did a splendid PVE job.
And doing the SoE Arc in an assault frig is also funny, you just alpha your way through the rats… But think about it: If you are agile enough, even some NPC Battleships don’t stand a chance, they just can’t hit you. It’s worth a try.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.