Shield boosters need a boost

Fitting requirements would remain the same. I’m just saying increase raw rep amount to bring them into competitive range of the ASB.

Right now a t2 shield booster reps far less than an ancillary, uses cap, is harder to fit than an ASB, and on top of everything… is more expensive lol. These modules need a little love.

What I would like to see:
T2 shield reppers moved away from super cap-stable fits (like mission boats) and given comparable stats to an ASB. Usage would probably be best on faster shield ships that intend to stay out of neut range, ships with a capacitor bonus of some sort, or ships making use of a nos or two.

1 Like

Your ideas are insane, it would completely change and mess up overall balance. Partly because you will HAVE to also adjust the other shield boosters.

sooo, are you saying it’d be too much work to balance them? or are you saying they are fine where they are and T2 should NOT be an option for pvp? Would just lowering the fitting requirements to be near an ASB be “insane” too? I’m not claiming to have the ultimate solution, I’m just making an observation and opening a dialog on it. No need to get too emotional :slight_smile: haha

1 Like

From what has been said so far, it looks like over-powered Ancillaries are the real problem here.

2 Likes

I agree, it should eat capacitor when active and have no effect when inactive.

Actually I think collapsing the capacitor should incur a penalty on all the actions of the ships : locking, acceleration, tracking should be reduced by up to 25% when below 25% capacitor

^ this

It’s not a matter of “all the other Boosters are weak compared to the Ancillary”.

It’s “the Ancillary is too damned strong”.

Like I said before, there is no effect for using different sized charges in the ASB. So of course people will always use the smallest possible to get the most out of each reload.

They should make it depend on the charge used. If you go weak, you get weak reps. If you go big, you get 1 good rep and then you need to reload again.

1 Like

A cool idea, but that’d be a big middle finger to the people using capless weapons/passive fits that are more or less immune to cap warfare.

I was thinking the same thing when “hull tanking” mods came out. If a ship has HALF its hull damaged, i would expect it the ship to be “inoperable” in some way. But bulkhead fits are now a common thing.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the end result of this become that both standard boosters and ancillary boosters both become useless?

Cool idea, but if a rep amount is proportional to the booster used I feel like a big burst vs many little bursts would rep the same amount per reload. So there’d be no point.

1 Like

I’m saying there should be niches/strategies for both of them.

Current strategy for ASB: rep a lot, for a short time, no cap required.
Current strategy for T2 booster: rep a little, for a short time, cap required, get rekt.

1 Like

That’s because you’re using it with other cap hungry modules like invulnerability fields, passive hardeners are the more viable choice for shield boosters and also the choice of ammo, multifreq or standard? Antimatter or cap saving Lead? Flux coils help keep your cap passive above 25%; really makes you think almost everything is intertwined one way or the other, its not just a problem with shield boosters alone.

1 Like

To be fair plenty of people fit capital t2 shield boosters instead of ancils on their dreads
And on claymore if you fit a t2 x-large repper with two med cap boosters and two invulns and a scram or smth you can still tank cruisers and below nicely.
Edit:
This neat trick also works with the nighthawk

1 Like

it’s the case for all shield size : use a M for frigates, L for des/cr, XL for cr/BC, double XL for BS :stuck_out_tongue: (just kidding not enough CPU)

Nah, it’s actually M for frigates and dessie, XL for anything else.

1 Like

Alright, this is kind of what I’m talking about. Instead of 2 modules (dual ASB’s), you have to fit 3 modules (t2 x-large with 2 medium cap boosters) for similar tankability. Both seem cap stable, but dual ancillaries still seem like the best choice considering you get an open mid slot.

but in the case of that fit, with no implants or drugs at level 5 skills and 400 dps you can pull 1200 dps tank capstable. Ancil might have higher burst tank, but it won’t sustain. It depends on your playstyle, but if you just so happen to be poor and not able to afford deadspace reppers t2 are a possible alternative

1 Like

Armor is greatly superior to shields atm in active and buffer.

These can be amended.

Yeah, none DED Shiled Boosters sux even on ships with respective boost bonuses. They have just too weak Rig sets and by installing a Shield Boost Amplifier we have to remove another tanking or utility module in return. Interestingly, to make a M size vessel’s tank competitive we have to install a DED Large or X-Large SB. This burns out almost all CPU and PG for other toons. Moreover, there are only few fits able to run x2 good SB at once, compared to double active armor tanked fits.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.