Should I bother coming back to this game?

I am not sure I pointed out any such thing, but yes, solo play is still completely viable. It’s true, if solo structure management was your thing you might not be happy with the recent development direction of CCP, but if you just play Eve to PvE by yourself, it is perfectly possible to do so as an alpha. Someone who has had the freedom to multibox probably will find the single account alpha restriction the most limiting feature of alpha clones, even more than the SP limit, but if you just want to ‘play Eve’ you can get your fix for sure. And at no cost.

Indeed you did not @Black_Pedro; it was @Teckos_Pech. My apologies.

I’m currently a tad unwell, and inclined to be uncharacteristically sloppy :slightly_frowning_face:

You like wormholes, but never joined a wormhole corp? Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

1 Like

A short answer: if you ask others such questions (“Should I get back?”), then you shouldn’t. I’m talking from experience, most of Eve’s gameplay is a chore you just endure (in certain situations it may be alleviated a bit, but that’s about all), and if you don’t have some especial love for the game and determination, you’ll burn out and will leave again. And you clearly don’t have, as you stay in doubt, asking others.

It was the case for me, I came to realization I never actually liked neither PvP mechanics in here too much, nor how simplistically it represents space (they say it has “submarine physics” for a reason), and the rest of the game’s aspects are just seem too boring and insignificant/supplemental at the same time. My interest was driven by the fact it’s a challenging MMO game, and that it have a certain vibe of exploring a sort of cinematic space opera world with really good AI on your tail if you leave hs space. Still it quickly gets old and I lose motivation to continue. It’s a bit easier when you play with other people (it’s simply a psychological thing, the most crappiest game become bearable if played with friends), but then there is a problem of being dragged into some virtual collective’s affairs and problems, and becoming overwhelmed with responsibilities, so you end up burnt out anyway. It just doesn’t worth it, for me, there are tons of more useful activities IRL, and games which don’t require this big overhead before you actually will start playing and have fun. Probably it’s a result of getting older, I just value my time more now. I started to understand people who are simply plexing their isk to log in once a week and do some crap for 2-3 hours, just for fun.

There haven’t been really revolutionary changes since 2013. Some ships were rebalanced, new were issued, a couple of neat mechanics were added which make gameplay as a regular pilot a tiny bit more interesting, giving you some tactical options and variety (overheating, boosters, those few new hulls which have several modes you can switch between during combat getting different bonuses, environment effects in high-level wh space etc). There was big overhaul in sov/claim mechanics, but it’s of no interest to you, clearly. User experience was enhanced a bit (most focus of it was on new players, though; but that multi-buy feature is really a savior, to name one). With their recent change to the whole “game time for isk” paradigm, isks now became sort of unification of both money and “experience” (as it’s understood in other MMORPGs). So now you finally can actually speed up your development with more grind (get more isks -> buy injectors -> get extra SPs). You could do that before, in a way, by buying already developed characters with isks, so it’s just a further development of this idea.

They also added some interesting new mechanics, like those mobile structures for fleets, or said citadels (finally, you can check what is outside of it while docked! no more undock dances) etc. But, again, gameplay-wise, very little was changed for a regular dude who prefer solo/small group play. It’s still the same Eve, with mostly boring, predatory-type PvP, where you either gank helpless victim, or is a target of gank 80% of the time, the same extremely boring PvE you just must to endure to earn some isk (if you don’t want plexing all the time), the same boring tactical environment where obstacles don’t mean a thing as you can shoot right through everything, same plain and boring/tedious cloacking and intel gathering mechanics (I haven’t noted before how mind-numbing and infuriating this constant chore of hitting d-scan button may be…). You still need to have at least 2 accounts running at the same time for any serious solo play beyond hs (or cooperate with others, but it only good in theory, and don’t work very well in practice, for a bunch of reasons), which is another thing that preventing me from getting involved too much. You’ll need some scout and eyes at strategical points, or you’ll be too vulnerable.

Still the same Eve, love it or hate it.

Probably the soul of the question was: “Should I get back into this community?” More accurately probably: tribe. People of various families of individuals and their clans, joined together because of some shared something or other. Anyway, I’d recommend that you sub. Or tool around as free account Alpha until you’re ready to sub.

Whatever happens, with Eve you always have a reason to check in and read the daily newspapers, if nothing else.

To the OP, if you can handle the groupthink of being a mining serf and/or F1 monkey for some RMT cartel, Eve is a fine place to come back to. But if you want to want to engage in any other playstyle with your main char, then no, Eve is no longer a place for you.

I hate to say it, but eve is now better off playing an an alpha clone, as long as you have the 20m sp cap already trained. There isn’t a need for “most” players to sub anymore, unless you really want to mine or manufacture. I dropped all but one of subs already after the recent changes, and havn’t noticed any real need to go back to subbed. Only keeping the one active sub now since it’s already subbed for 2 more years.

So my answer to the OP is, yes, come back and play eve. Just don’t bother to resubscribe. Best of both worlds.

Don’t bother. EVE changed when they introduced cap ships and then it went downhill. For me EVE was the best game I had played, I spent so much of my time playing EVE (started in 2004) and I have over 200 million sp’s each on 2 characters. I was hooked and played for over 10 years, but everything changed when cap ships arrived and the lag was unbearable. Having BS, BC’s, frigates and interceptor battles was so much more exciting and fun, but those days are long gone and now it’s boring cap battles and it’s who can put up with the lag the longest. For me and all of my old corps mates and friends in EVE that destroyed the game and we’ve all moved on playing different games, my game time now is on the PS4 :frowning:

You can’t expect anything (especially a game made by a for-profit company) to stay the same. I’m on the record here as saying that I think EVE was more fun in the past even though EVE is measurable “better” now than it was then. This is not just ‘rose colored glasses’ thinking, I acknowledge that EVE has improved and that many of the changes CCP made, CCP had to make.

But the one thing I do know (that none of the ‘bright ideas’ peopel I argue with on here seem to be able to grasp ) is that progress comes with a cost.

EVE had to evolve to survive. If it stayed the way you or I would have preferred, if they’d kept posses instead of making citadels, if Plex was still 500 mil and if CCP hadn’t stuffed the game with rewards (not just in null sec, btw) cheapening the experience of gaining those rewards, well, EVE might not even be here at all. Because unlike me (and maybe you), most people seem to need ‘progress’ to be happy, and these forums are ironic because on the one hand people beg for changes and then spend the rest of the time complaining about how things have changed lol.

To answer your question. No, you should not sub, not while you are stuck in the past. You say you are 31. I’m 43 (old enough to remember when McDonalds made real french fries) and I’ve played for the last 10 years. It’s not EVE’s age or your own that is a problem, it’s more likely that you just outgrew EVE. That’s ok. I used to complain that gaming had changed until i realized that I just outgrew being a gamer. EVE is the only game I still play, mainly because it’s more hobby than game at this point…

2 Likes

Maybe come back for a month or two and see how you go.

I am very much a solo player in Stain and am always on the look out for people to join me down here as blue and build a cool little community. Perhaps you need a change in the way you play Eve, If you did come to Stain and blue me then it would be under your terms really, we could knock out a few combat sites together and try to carve out a section of space for our blues, there’s lots of PVP here or we can NPC.

Probably not for you then. We know what we’re getting into if we’ve been a long-time player. If you are just playing it casually like me, you know, just mining in hi-sec or PvE ratting, no problem. Otherwise, you’ll be annoyed at the stuff that goes on.

Your tears are delicious,
Most of eve, even nul dont own caps, so I dont know how its the only thing in the game anymore lol

Tears? no tears here, I did my bit and moved on which one day you will do the same. Eve changed so much it got boring, well a lot did change but some changes CCP wouldn’t change was scammers. When I started in 2004 there was scammers, in 2016 the same scams and different scams, with different scammers, ppl just don’t have the brains to be original, lol.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.