Is now possible. Shuttle not being able to warp before getting pointed. How does this effect other ships? Can i cloak fast enough to be able to pass safely, or is it about server ticks?
Just fyi to anyone who didnt know this already, youre not safe in your shuttle anymore. (I dont know if this is 10 year old information tbh, someone recently said to me that under 2sec align time is a safe pass)
Then that someone lied to you. And yes, it depends on where the server tick lands, the reaction time of the player locking you, their physical location, and how fast their internet is.
And there is no such thing as “under 2-second align time”. The EVE server runs on 1 second ticks, and it rounds up. So, if your align time is 1.66 seconds, it still rounds up to 2 seconds. The only way to get a sub-2 second align is in a purpose-fit Hecate with implants. As far as I know, it is the only ship capable of a sub-1 second align time.
And if you enter a smartbomb gate camp on the other side of a gate, your align time won’t save you, no matter how fast it is. Smartbombs are area of effect, they don’t require a lock, and they don’t care what your align time is. The only thing that will help you get away in that situation is pure, raw, EHP…
The vast majority of the time you’re safe in an instawarping ship that can align within 2 seconds, like shuttles. Instalockers won’t catch you.
But as Dyver linked above, there are techniques to stack so much sensor strength in combination with low latency and a high priority in the tick order that you can catch even instawarping ships, called ultralocking.
You would need a ship that aligns within 1 second to avoid those. Maybe sticking with the naming theme these could be called ‘ultrawarping’ ships. Only the Hecate and Jackdaw with their agility bonuses from propulsion mode can reach align times that low.
Anyway, shuttles are safe enough to get you to your destination the majority of the time so I will keep using them as easy way to get myself somewhere else.
Just keep in mind nothing is 100% safe. Don’t assume that your shuttle will arrive safely so don’t put valuables like blueprints in it and you’ll be fine.
More dangerous to your shuttle than a very rare few ultralockers are smartbombers - these are a lot more common in my experience, as it requires much less preparation and only one ship.
In practice, due to 1-second server ticks, “under 2s” is 2s and “under 1s” is 1s. The point being, an align time of 2s is hard to lock, but its still possible under the right conditions. 1s align, not so much.
DST! Yes, below 2. I didn’t think the fit would work either, but is does. Tons of scary runs up and down the pipes with a 1.5 bil cargo were definitely fun!
You had to have a safe docking point, the usual undock safe point, etc…
For me, it’s almost always about 8s (80% of the MWD cycle time) plus whatever fractions it takes me to deactivate the cloak and hit warp. I’ve never tried to get DST align time under 2s. I didn’t know that was even possible. I guess it might be on the BR, but I usually just rely on a covops cloak.
Can you please post the fit? I’m genuinely curious how you got align time so low on a DST. Thanks.
The key here is the star system. Rancer is likely in the top three for most dangerous systems in the game.
Ultralockers LOVE Rancer (and its neighbors Miroitem and Crielere), Ahbazon, and to a lesser extent Tama (and its neighbor Kinakka). An argument can be made for Jita and Uedama being more dangerous but I’m inclined to disagree.
I’m looking, but it turns out having a lot crap makes it slow. I will post it for you. And remember, this used to work. I haven’t tried in a while so I’m curious to see how it holds up now myself.