Spot the Square Dot?

There is a weird square dot that I have noticed the last few weeks. It comes in various colors… orange, yellow, blue, green and black I have seen so far.

It appears at seeming random times. Re-logging makes it go away, but it comes back eventually. Appears in any system and region. Some backgrounds make it hard to notice.

Anyone else noticed it? Or have any ideas what it is?

I should also add that I have the “route in space” switched off, been off for a long time. (I double-checked that the setting was off, because it was the first thing I suspected as maybe indicating a destination or something.)

wait a minute…

enhance

enhance
enhance
enhance
enhance
I knew it!!!

Also, I have no idea dude. I’d file a support ticket. And please come back and tell us what you learned. Might help someone else with the same problem.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: You made me smile, thanks!

I will file a support ticket during the week, but was first checking if another player had encountered it. (CCP is kinda slow at coming back and checking these things on weekends, and I think they are currently extra distracted trying to put out flames everywehere, lol)

1 Like

Well the support ticket will be a GM specifically, not someone with CCP in their name.

Yes I am aware of that technical point. But same problem, they need weekends off too as I’ve seen from experience.

I have a feeling it is a bug because nothing on my side has resolved it. So will probably eventually change from a support ticket to a bug report to CCP devs.

Maybe it’s simply a moon? I’ve been seeing those “spots” around the space for years now

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s a good suggestion and I thought about it too a while back. I have checked and double-checked and sadly it was not a moon or any other object.

It appears at random locations literally in the middle of nowhere on the background.

Unless it is one of these, hehe. In which case I will get hit by a laser beam if I discover the secret.

2 Likes

The moons I see are typically grey and round, not yellow and square. Maybe it is a block of cheese?

1 Like

Lol. I don’t know what it is yet, so could very well be cheese. :slight_smile:

I’m still trying to find a repeatable way to re-create the problem. To help me provide proper steps/log for CCP, and also so I can reliably find out when it’s fixed - but funny enough when a person looks for something, the thing suddenly hides! … I’m sure it will randomly pop-up when I least expect it and just as mysteriously disappear again.

It might still be a moon, especially your last picture looks like a moon to me.

Next time you see one, alt click drag your cursor around it to select the object:

afbeelding
afbeelding

I don’t know why they’re square in your pictures and why the first few are yellow, but maybe that’s just bad rendering or low graphical settings combined with sun reflection.

My guess is they’re moons.

1 Like

Thank you, yes those are also good suggestions.

I have tried clicking and double-clicking and right-clicking whenever I see the dots/squares. Nothing happened. I have tried D-scan too. Nothing in that direction.

The only thing I can say for sure is that it’s 5 x 5 pixels. Always the same size. Never bigger, never smaller. No matter where I am in a solar system, even when I warp from one side to another the size of the dot remains constant. And when I jump to other systems the dot remains, system after system.

Okay that sounds more like a graphical bug to me than a moon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.