State of EVE?

Quote me where i said they are exactly the same.

By every definition, given by you and websites, bladewise was still advising you to evade.

Stretching.

It’ll give you cancer.

But the tldr, mayhem thought the only way to avoid camps, ganks and people in local was to not play (avoidance he called it). Bladewise and i have told him ways to counter efforts of other players whilst playing the game (i referred to it as evasion).

1 Like

Daichi: As far as I can see, the first use of “evasion” was yours, in post 288. You were wrong. I won’t debate it with you though, which means you get one free shot at me - knock yourself out :slight_smile:

• In the context of the real discussion at that point, the distinction between avoid and evade didn’t matter
  • You didn’t use the normal/baseline definition of evade/evasion

Everyone else involved: you allowed something trivial to turn into an exercise in “pig wrestling”. Which is actually quite funny given the evasion/avoidance sub-topic :slight_smile:
A suggestion: in a case like this (equivocation through ignorance or carelessness), don’t let your opponent(s) control the topic.

FWIW I thought parts of the real discussion were interesting, and I’d quite like to see it continue.

2 Likes

No, it’s “language”, that process where we use strings of pictures or sounds (blind people use bumps on a flat surface) to transmit our thoughts and feelings to other sentiences rather than beat each other over the head with heavy objects. It is one of the foundational tools of civilization and is the base upon which this forum and even this particular interaction is built.

A very smart and good man asked me many years ago to help maintain and protect this tool. So help me God, I will not allow you to corrupt even this one word because you feel sad inside if you’re wrong.

“This far shall you come, and no further.”

Puzzling response.

A just cause doesn’t mean you can’t be the second pig in the mud pool.

Halting aggression is aggression.

He is committing an aggression. If I intend to halt his aggression, I must be prepared to act with superior aggression. If he intends to succeed, he must be prepared to escalate beyond my capacity to commit superior aggression. If I am committed to halting his aggression, I must develop and maintain the capacity to nullify him through his entire spectrum of force. If he intends to resist nullification . . .

He should avoid aggression.
I’m not a pig. I’m a monkey.

Mayhaw

Among the reasons people avoid participating in a “pig-wrestling” event is that only the pig enjoys it. With two pigs in the mud, it’s a form of mutually satisfying consensual intimacy. One that most people would pay not to see.

On the bright side, if you choose to de-escalate rather than the reverse, you may indeed transform from a pig into a better creature. Even a return to full humanity is within reach.

It was 148…so, so long ago.

Alright.

So the guy was complaining that when someone enters local, his options are to not play the game. He said that anything that is avoiding is not playing.

I said evasion is part of many games.

At which point i tried to explain that when you are logged in on eve you are, generally speaking, trying not to be shot. The persistent nature of eve means you are constantly evading. When you go to system B because wartargets are in system A, you are evading the wartargets. Even to the point that you are using skill, guile, cunning, trickery, speed and everyother word that has been associated with evade in the numerous dictionaries that have now been linked.

The ‘ring’ in eve is the whole game and the ‘boxing match’ is never ending.

If you’re intent is to never get shot at, you are evading hostiles (and probably potential hostiles) from the moment of log in to the moment of log off.

By every definition of the word I’ve seen, including Mayhaw_Morgans, evade is correct.

Why are you folks arguing verbiage and not spaceships?

3 Likes

Because the game has become boring as ■■■■.

Seems like we’re almost back.

Almost…

You are not heeding the lessons of EVE Online. If you are unwilling to fight for something then you will lose it. He will take the language and “ride roughshod over it” unless you “toe the line”. Then he will take other things . . .

“They invade our space, and we fall back.”

I will not retreat.

We’re arguing about what spaceships do (evasion) and don’t do (avoidance).

1 Like

So what about the whales right? What do they get?

A whale posted here (maybe not this thread) a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they’ll come back.

IIRC it was someone who had spare cash and used PLEX to get enough ISK for SP and “cool stuff”.

It makes sense for someone with the right kind of income: either lots of excess disposable income, or “unlimited” overtime.

OTOH you have to wonder if it’s a permanently stable source of income for CCP. Whales can keep playing unhindered without buying PLEX for cash. If relatively few whales (aggregated) are a major part of the PLEX/cash market they are also a potential source of instability in the cash/PLEX/ISK markets…

Eve is dying.

1 Like

Gee, I’ve never heard that one before.

Because some don’t like arguing (with) spaceships, incredible as that may seem.

Well, lets assume that we’re trying to keep the whales around. That’s whats keeping us afloat afterall. I’d think that if they’re spending real money to throw at PvP they’d probably like to have more PvP in the game as well. More avenues for newbros to get involved in High-Sec will at some turn give them more of that will it not? Afterall most PvPers we attract come with the expectation of massive fleet battles. I suspect however, they leave soon-after because their is no clear path to this end goal other then grinding their face off with PvE or paying to win.

Bladewise

I agree.

I’m done with discussing “new player introduction” though, due to an exceptionally annoying moderation action.

It would be interesting to find out what proportion of the “PLEX for cash” market is whales. There can’t be all that many of them.

If we play “slice and dice” with player numbers, and assume:

• Half of all players are Alphas
  • At least half of the active Omegas are alts (including bots)
  • At least half of the remaining Omegas are not whales
    then the number of whales is probably 4-digits - possibly just a few thousand.

CCP probably has a good estimate, because whales have no reason to hide their behavior - they’re probably using close to one payment method (CC number etc) per whale.

OTOH there’s one argument against that simplification: If the cash/PLEX/ISK market is an inverted pyramid, you’d expect CCP to have been working to make EVE more whale-friendly for a while. Or rather more “income from whales” friendly.

How much money per month would it mean to be referred to a fish? Or a merman ? Or Whale.