State of EVE?

You’re the one hell-bent on making a non-action into an action. Why don’t you tell me? Am I avoiding everyone in Jita (and the rest of the universe) because I’m running missions in Muvolailen? We already know you think I’m evading them even though they’re not trying to make contact with me and I’m not trying to avoid contact with them. Am I avoiding everyone in China because I haven’t flown there or am i just evading them?

Are you trying to say they mean the same thing without actually saying “They mean the same thing.”? Because they don’t mean the same thing and “synonymous”, in this instance, should not be construed to mean they do.

You don’t know what those words mean. You’ve demonstrated that. Until you can figure out the difference between the two, you are just not in any position to discuss it. Mind you, I cannot and would not try to stop you from discussing it, but . . . this is like discussing math with someone who can’t count. It’s hopeless.

You mean, 5 years ago, back when the population was dropping like a rock? Or do you mean the even more PvP-friendly period of 2011-2012, when numbers were also falling?

Tranquility%20Server%20Pop-EDIT

Or wait, maybe you mean 2013, when ‘what PVErs were asking for’, namely Crimewatch, came in, and EVE had its’ best year ever, pop-wise. At least, until lame carebear high-sec pseudo-PVP wannabes learned how to suicide gank and/or bait for response, then call in their logi friends to help them win the fight? You know, that thing you do, that you say will destroy the game if they take it away.

Funny how you screwing with someone else’s playstyle is ‘good and necessary for the game’, but when they screw with yours it’s ‘the end of EVE!’.

Actually what you mean here is, “if they don’t want to engage, they can sit back and watch while I blow up their 10 million ISK MTU, shoot their wrecks, steal their loot, and otherwise harass their gameplay experience until they engage. And if they do engage, because the fight looks sorta fair, then I call in my 2 logi buddies and we kill the guy! It’s win-win! Well, for us it is. Who cares what some PVEr thinks?”.

Yep, they learn “EVE is full of a55h0les, if I want a decent gaming session, guess I will quit EVE and go play something else.” Which leads exactly to the declining pop numbers and shortage of targets you’re complaining about… because your own actions directly cause it.

Really? Did you see any PVErs asking for 100% immunity in high sec in the thread? Because I didn’t see that. I did, however, see a high-sec pseudo-PVP carebear say “I need victims in high sec, because if I go into low sec the caps will jump me, and I don’t want someone else messing with my gaming experience”.

It’s… kinda hard for CCP to go bankrupt, seeing as they are now owned by a company that can afford hundreds of millions of dollars to buy them. A F2P gaming company, at that. But then, reality isn’t really your strong point, is it? Just trying to cobble together some sort of desperate argument to keep them from messing with your play style.

2 Likes

I actually like crimewatch.

Well actually the lesson they should really learn is they make more isk completely ignoring the loot and salvage, and simply blitzing the mission, than they do wasting time looting and salvaging. It’s a video game, I’m just PLAYING the bad guy, lets keep that in perspective too. Whether you want to admit it or not, what I do is an essential part of this games ecosystem.

But they don’t. Back when there was any sort of suspect community to speak of the player numbers were the highest. Of course people left when all the pirates moved to suicide ganking and mass wardecs. PvPers left too, that content is no fun.

It’s not about messing with my gaming experience (I’ve adapted more than you’ll ever know), it’s about removing my profession entirely, which is what’s about to happen. You’d be pretty pissed too if CCP suddenly decided to remove whatever content it is you take part in without adding anything substantial to take it’s place.

Eh, while I yank your chain a bit, I gotta agree here. Yes, CCP really needs to stop knee-jerk breaking things and calling it ‘fixes’, and start re-designing the game to support the various play styles we all enjoy.

You and I won’t likely agree on the best approach to improve things… but frankly, getting CCP to get off the pot and actually spend some of the millions they make in subs every month on real improvements is going to be the tricky part.

Like, really tricky. For all their talk about excellence, pushing the edge, HTFU and be fearless… they are very afraid to do anything at all that will mess with their null-sec whale-subs.

2 Likes

Would be nice if @CCP_Fozzie or some other mod would raise the concerns in this topic to the dev team. Or at least let us know you’re listening.

No i didn’t. Quote me where i did.

I said if you are trying to get away from everyone, looking for a system with exactly zero other players, that’s evading. You are PLAYING the game whilst doing this.

Yeah that was your nonsense. Not mine.

You forget what you’ve posted a lot.

I mean they are synonymous. Jesus christ:

synonymous

/sɪˈnɒnɪməs/

adjective

(of a word or phrase) having the same meaning as another word or phrase in the same language.

closely associated with or suggestive of something.

Says the guy who said this:

Rather than make up your own definition, why not just use a standard one from, say, www.dictionary.com?

synonym

avoid
evade

If they were the same, then they would be THE SAME!
If you read the two definitions, you will see that they are NOT the same, thus you can conclude that they are similar. Do you need a picture?

Sigh…

The very website you’ve just linked has a thesaurus that lists synonyms…guess which words are synonymous with each other.

Did you notice the lack of ‘predictive vs reactive’? :rofl:

Literally no one was arguing that point. They are synonyms. But you have to understand the meaning of “synonym” to grasp the significance of that. You seem to think it means they are of necessity the same. That’s not the case here.

Did you notice the word “from” in the definition of “evade”? It signifies reaction, action from [circumstance]. He ran FROM . . . He moved away FROM . . . He became angry FROM . . . He learned FROM . . . reaction. Action induced by [circumstance].

I hope you understand that you’re hurting your own credibility. That’s all.

That’s the definition of a synonym. Words having the same or nearly the same meaning.

a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as happy, joyful,elated. A dictionary of synonyms and antonyms (or opposites), such as Thesaurus.com, is called athesaurus.

It is literally there in the link you posted yourself. Have you considered a career in politics?

I couldn’t be bothered to actually read whatever argument you and Daichi is having. I’m just pointing out that in your definition you posted, it also states that a synonym can have the same meaning.

@Scipio_Artelius @Maekchu “nearly the same” is not the same as “the same”.

I know I’m being a douche. But he deserves it.

Did you miss the “or”?

Again, I’m not taking sides in your argument, cause I honestly have no idea what the argument is about. I’m just here to point out the obvious “having the same OR nearly the same meaning”.

It’s not “and”. It is not both and in this case, it is not “the same”. It is “nearly the same”.

What? That is not how this works…

But I have no stake in this discussion, so you believe whatever.

I’ll quietly retreat from this pointless discussion again. Was a mistake to get involved…

1 Like

The same and nearly the same makes no logical sense. Did you even construct that sentence in your head before typing?

Looking at what you were arguing about above, avoid is the same as, or nearly the same as evade.

There’s no practical difference between them.

In any sentence that can be constructed that has the word evade or avoid, they can be interchanged with no change in meaning.

I avoided walking into a wall.
I evaded walking into a wall.

Do both of those make sense?

Yes, they do both make sense, even though you’ve now moved the goal posts by talking about past tense, rather than the present tense of the verb you were arguing about.

The first is more common in that example, but the second has just the same meaning.

Nothing like knowing you’ve lost a discussion than when you need to move the goal posts to try to keep making an irrelevant point.

A better example might have been:

I can’t avoid being a forum warrior
I can’t evade being a forum warrior

Again, the first sentence is more common, but the second has exactly the same meaning.

IF you could please stop derailing the topic with this rubbish that would be great.

Tell your buddies that, too, since this is not a solo performance.

See you in Jita. o7