Strange Effects Observed During Seeker/Lancer Scan

They’re also on public contracts in Jita right now.

3 Likes

Allow me to offer what limited wisdom I can on this subject.

I want to make it clear that this is entirely conjecture on my part, and I can only offer you the gut feelings and limited perspective of a very, very veteran capsuleer. But I can say this much with the maximum level of certainty one can have without literally being a Drifter:

The Drifters are looking for something. And it’s something that’s obviously fragile.

Having seen what they’re capable of in person on several ocacsions, I am relatively certain that if the Drifters wanted to destroy human civilization in New Eden, not only are they capable of attempting it, but we probably don’t have the ability to stop them. Given that they haven’t, there must be a reason.

That they’re obviously searching for something is demonstrable simply by the fact that these Seekers are omnipresent in New Eden, but that they’re searching for something specific rather than an omnibus catalogue of strategic data can be surmised by the fact that they’ve had more than enough time to compile that in the two-plus years that they’ve been floating around. There’s something that they’re looking for, and have not found yet. That they haven’t found it yet is demonstrable from the fact that there’s been almost no notable change in Drifter behaviour since the second death of Jamyl Sarum.

So how do I arrive at the fact that it’s something fragile?

Because they haven’t cracked open human civilization looking for it, which I fully believe they’re capable of doing. It’s something that could be broken, or mishandled, or damaged - most likely data, but possibly a perishable biological sample, an artifact, a piece of technology. They can’t just go tearing open every station, database and storage vault in the cluster in search of it, because that might destroy it. Or more importantly, we might work out what it was - and then we’d be able to control it.

If this is true, I think it gives us a slight glimmer of hope in whatever conflict we’ve found ourselves embroiled in. It would tell us that they are not without limits. If they need something that we have and they don’t, it means that they can’t make it themselves, which suggests some deficiency, some sort of weakness - and if they have a weakness, we can exploit it. If they need something from us that’s beyond their capability to synthesize, we could control it. We don’t know if they’re willing to communicate with us, or even if they have that capability, but if we know what they want, we hold some power - because if it isn’t omnipresent, if only we can produce it and not them, we hold the final sanction, the final act of defiance against them: we can destroy it.

I wish I could offer you all more than vague ruminations and uncertain assurances, but I don’t think I have the knowledge or the skill to offer anything more at the moment.

6 Likes

Good suggestions, Mr. Ixiris.

I dare to believe that whatever the Drifters are doing in our skies, they haven’t attempted to destroy us, because they may not be the senseless monsters that some of us believe them to be.

Whatever they are looking for - if it is a piece of technology or sensitive data, it will not be wise of us to hold it against them, if we find it before them. Destroying something that is so important to them is also not wise. Instead we can probably reproduce it or copy it and use it in a good way.

But I guess they know how great technologies are used in destructive ways in our society, so maybe they are making a haste to obtain it before us, so that we don’t hurt ourselves with it.

As for the greenish scan effect - I guess we will find what it is soon enough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.