Stratios PVE Exploration

Hi guys, I recently get a Stratios and want to do some PVE and Exploration.

Here is my dual armor rep fit. Please give some recommendations. Guess need the data and relic analyzer for exploration.

[Stratios, Dual Armor Rep]

Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Reactive Armor Hardener

Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
10MN Afterburner II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Sisters Core Probe Launcher
Focused Modulated Pulse Energy Beam I

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II

Caldari Navy Vespa x5
Caldari Navy Wasp x5
Hornet II x5
Federation Navy Hammerhead x5
Federation Navy Ogre x5
Hobgoblin II x5

Sisters Core Scanner Probe x16
Tracking Speed Script x1
Standard M x3
Relic Analyzer I x1
Data Analyzer I x1

1 Like

Your fit is not bad for combat sites and other combat-oriented PvE, but itā€™s not appropriate for exploration (data and relic sites). Here are two Exploration fits. One is expensive, and the other is a bit less so.

[Stratios, Explore]

Corpum A-Type Medium Armor Repairer
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Damage Control II
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer

Corelum C-Type 50MN Microwarpdrive
Caldari Navy Warp Scrambler
Zeugma Integrated Analyzer
Cargo Scanner II

Drone Link Augmentor II
Corpum A-Type Medium Energy Nosferatu
Corpii A-Type Small Energy Nosferatu

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I

As you can see, the ship and fit will run you about 1 - 1.2 billion ISK. You can forego the scrambler if you do not intend to PvP at all, but this is one of my favorite aspects of the Stratios and the Astero; they can PvP while doing exploration. The faction point is semi-necessary if you choose to go this route, because it gives you 3 points of warp scrambler strength, defeating most stabbed ships. Donā€™t worry about the lack of cap booster. The battery will allow you to run the A-Type rep and MWD permanently (with both nos inactive), and both reps permanently with MWD off and the small nos active (youā€™ll likely only occasionally need to run the ancillary rep anyway). Here is a much cheaper version:

[Stratios, Explore Cheaper]

Medium Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Damage Control II
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Caldari Navy Warp Scrambler
Relic Analyzer II
Cargo Scanner II

Drone Link Augmentor II
Medium Energy Nosferatu II
Small Energy Nosferatu II

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I

The cheaper version accomplishes the same, just a lot less effectively. If you donā€™t intend to PvP, replace the scram with a data analyzer. The Stratios has a large cargo bay, so you can easily carry a mobile depot and an alternate fit.

Thanks

3 Likes

I was just about to post a similar topic and I found this one sitting at the top of the queue. Iā€™m playing with a Stratios fit as well for Exploration/DED sites primarily, but I donā€™t need a probe launcher or analyzers as Iā€™m not going out alone. I had the fit below online last night, and I was doing OK tanking a site in a .4 system, but DPS was slow. Eventually I had someone warp in, scram me, and gank that 170m fit that I had been flying for 24 hours.

Good times. Before that I was doing a 5/10 DED space and had to warp out to repair several times to clear the first room. I tried to blitz the gate on the second room and barely warped out before I popped.

Anyway, Iā€™m going to look deeply at what has already been posted here, but this is what I was flying. Iā€™m not sure if my DPS issues were me or the fit, perhaps a bit of both. Iā€™m a returning player after a long absence and was mostly mining before so Iā€™m diving in the deep end here.

[Stratios, Stratios v1.1]

Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
AE-K Compact Drone Damage Amplifier
1600mm Crystalline Carbonide Restrained Plates
Damage Control II
Medium ā€˜Accommodationā€™ Vestment Reconstructer I

Alumel-Wired Enduring Sensor Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
F-12 Enduring Tracking Computer
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Focused Modal Pulse Laser I, Standard M
Prototype Cloaking Device I

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Drone Durability Enhancer I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Garde I x2
Garde I x1
Garde I x1
Hammerhead II x1
Hammerhead II x3
Hammerhead II x1
Hobgoblin II x5
Medium Armor Maintenance Bot I x5
Medium Hull Maintenance Bot I x2
Ogre I x4
Salvage Drone I x5

I fully admit this fit may be stupid. I looked at a few exploration builds, pulled out the equipment I didnā€™t need, downgraded what I needed to, and tried to round it out with a bit more combat ability. I thought it looked good on paper, but I think I have almost no idea what Iā€™m doing.

The only painful part of being popped last night was I had JUST bought and loaded a Gecko and was trying that out for the first time. I was focused on what that was doing when I noticed I was scrammed. Thought that was weird, and it took a few secs before I realized there was a new player on the field. Oh well, itā€™s only ISK.

If this fit looks like it could have gotten the job done without too much pain, if someone could point me towards a ā€œHow not to be an idiot in mid-range PvE combatā€ tutorial Iā€™d greatly appreciate it. When facing large numbers of hostiles Iā€™m not sure how to best prioritize targeting.

Your fit needs some work.

• Replace the Prototype Cloaking Device with a Covert Ops Cloaking Device II. This lets you warp while cloaked. The Stratios is one of the few ships in the game that can use this mod. Take advantage of it.
  • Donā€™t shield tank and armor tank. Pick one and commit to it. Since youā€™re in a Stratios, you should probably stick with armor tanking. Remove the Adaptive Invulnerability Field II.
  • You really donā€™t need a sensor booster. Iā€™d replace it with something more useful, like a stasis webifier.
  • You really donā€™t need a tracking computer. Since the vast majority of your damage is coming from your drones, avoid committing precious fitting slots to a weapon system that isnā€™t helping that much anyway.
  • Wherever your skills allow, upgrade to T2 modules. At the very least, your Drone Damage Amplifier, Medium Armor Rep, and 10mn Afterburner should be Tech II. If you can spare the power grid, use 1600mm Steel Plates II. If you donā€™t have the power grid, use 1600mm Rolled Tungsten plates.
  • Always use Tech II drones when you can.
  • Consider removing the pulse lasers altogether. Itā€™ll free up a ton of fitting and allow you to make use of your high slots for things like nos, neuts, probe launchers, and drone link augmenter.
  • With the Med slots youā€™ve freed up, consider fitting a Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery.
  • For rigs, at minimum, you should have an Auxiliary Nano Pump and an Anti-Explosive Pump. The third rig can be anything, but I recommend a Capacitor Control Circuit.
  • Consider getting rid of the 1600mm plate and running a dual-rep fit. You need more skills to do this effectively, but you will probably tank better.
  • It may be that you need to train up more skills before you can effectively pilot the Stratios. Only you know.
  • Always watch local.
  • Always watch your D-scanner.
  • Donā€™t get complacent. You will die. But you already know this, donā€™t you? :slight_smile:
5 Likes

Then why are you using a Stratios? It has bonuses to Probes, and Hacking. If you arenā€™t doing either of those things, then why not use something else?

Especially if you arenā€™t going to use a CovOps cloak so you can warp around while cloaked.

You are not using any of the bonuses that would encourage someone to use a Stratios. You could do just as well with an Omen or a Vexor, since the only thing youā€™re gaining from using the Stratios right now is lasers and drones.

Heheā€¦ yeahā€¦ ā€œsome workā€ he says.

On it with the CovOps cloak. Donā€™t have Cloaking IV trained up yet, thatā€™s the only reason for the Prototype. Iā€™m staying somewhat close to home for the time being until I get that fitted, itā€™s a compromise and a risk but Iā€™m willing to deal with it for the time being. I need to figure out what Iā€™m doing anyway so itā€™s helping make some good habits in the meantime. I check my cloak A LOT when Iā€™m sitting stationary. I feel thatā€™s a good thing.

AIF II was coming out in this refit. Shields just donā€™t last for ā– ā– ā– ā– . It was on a number of builds I saw for it so I tossed it on, but itā€™s not useful here.

Sensor booster was tossed on to fill an empty slot. At the time I was thinking that I would try to go very long range and try to stay out of fire, perhaps even be able to reduce the tank. I had Beam lasers on there initially, but my first couple of sites were up close and I felt they werenā€™t right. Everything I hit yesterday I was slowboating into range to bring the lasers to bear, so I was about to put them back on after I tested the Gecko, but I got popped. Any advice there?

Again, tracking comp was filling a slot and trying to round out some skills. I think I want to focus more on drones, though. The boat has good bonuses for them, and I was flying Gallente before anyway so I have some good base in drones. Glad to hear that Iā€™m moving in the right direction.

On it with the T2 upgrades. I was mining before and started doing some combat missions when Hulkageddon started. It was supposed to be a month like it always was, then it stretched to 2 months, then it was announced that it was going to be Hulkageddon forever. Iā€™m dating myself here, is Hulkageddon even a thing? If not, perhaps Iā€™ll entertain the kids with stories of it some day.

Anyway, I donā€™t have a lot of combat oriented skills leveled up to V yet. Iā€™m decent on drone skills, but only had Light and Medium up to V. Iā€™m working on the rest. Everything that isnā€™t T2 right now is the best I could fit without spending too much, because I expected the thing to end up in a fireball. I was happy I made it out 2 nights in a row before it blew.

I was looking at removing the pulse lasers last night, trying to decide what to use instead. Iā€™m not explicitly looking to PvP with this, but I wouldnā€™t mind being able to hold me own the next time I get jumped. I donā€™t need a probe launcher with this build, when Iā€™m exploring properly I wonā€™t be going out alone. This boat needs to provide the muscle for the time being, however.

I had needed the CUrrent Router and Cap Control Circuit rigs to fit the modules, so I didnā€™t do armor here. If I pull the lasers both of those problems go with it, along with freeing up 3 mids based on your advice so Iā€™ll follow convention on them here and add at least one cap batter.

If I can get cap stable with dual reps, which I probably can with the changes listed here, I would love to ditch the extra armor. I would very much like to be quick and nimble for what Iā€™m going to be doing. I may squeeze in a warp core stabilizer if I donā€™t have to sacrifice something more important.

Iā€™m sure I need more skills to be on the level I want to be at. No question there. Iā€™m looking to see what I can get away with now, because Iā€™m stubborn and impatient. Iā€™m expecting to pop a few hulls in the process, and this is not a cheap one. Itā€™s not that money is no object but Iā€™m willing to invest a few rounds at this before I decide itā€™s a terrible stupid idea. Iā€™m trying not to be too much of an idiot about it, though. I took a stab in the dark at a build and I donā€™t think it worked out, so Iā€™m here looking for advice. I hope it doesnā€™t sound like Iā€™m being argumentative about your points, Iā€™m just trying to be conversational. I really appreciate the advice.

For the CovOps, which I donā€™t have fitted now because I donā€™t have Cloaking IV yet.

This is true, temporarily. I am using the drones, I have decent drone skills and being able to use them effectively in this hull was a big attraction. As I said above, I am planning on using CovOps as soon as it is trained. For the time being just getting it cloaked stationary fit my needs, and Iā€™m focused on improving its combat capabilities before diving into cloaking while warping. I canā€™t be cloaked and fight at the same time, so this works for me.

Yes, I know this spits in the face of conventional logic with this hull. Yes this will get me popped. I understand the risks, and I accept them. Iā€™m not ignoring logic, Iā€™m working with what Iā€™ve got at the moment. This is the early stages of a long-term plan with this. One I would be normally willing to be less vague about in any other game, but Eve has taught me to keep things closer to my chest.

I hear what youā€™re saying, and youā€™re not wrong. I appreciate your advice and as I said above, I hope Iā€™m not coming off as being argumentative.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.