I’m sure this was and will be visited again.
With the planned deployment of small Upwell structures aimed at replacing jump bridges, cyno beacons, and jammers, POS towers will be nearly useless aside from shielded staging points and grinding fodder.
My suggestion is simple. Add a new line of small player owned structures designated as forward operating bases (PFOB) to replace all remaining POS towers.
These would be an improved, basic option for independent players who do not want large and cumbersome citadels, but need an improvement over mobile depots.
Mechanically, PFOBs would behave similarly to medium+ structures but with major limitations in strength and functionality, for example:
- limited capacity hanger & storage bays
- one re-enforcement timer only
- very limited (if any) fitting slots. Like 0R / 1H / 1M / 1L
- no service modules
- could have tethering ability
- PERHAPS no docking, or limited to only personal docking of sub-caps
- structure services limited to Ship Fitting, Repairs, Reprocessing, and Insurance
- smaller volume than citadels when packaged to open up more transportation options
- build cost around 250-500m price range, depending on meta
- tower size and faction during reimbursement will influence the meta level FOB you receive.
I am sure most of you will hate this idea, but reimbursement of POS towers will have to occur somehow. I’d rather see new and functional equipment over cash. Personally, I could see these working great in WHs, but what do I know.