Support for Nvidia Freestyle?

okay

this would not be worth the resources to implement or maintain

Please enlighten me Lugh. How much development time and money would it require?

more than it would benefit from just look at the mess they are in now

I’m not saying I disagree with you, I just want to mention that this is surprisingly common in real life.

So you want CCP to actively remove 50% of the player base because they did not buy a NVIDIA card?

Supporting it might make a player more inclined to purchase a certain brand of video card in the future, but to say it would remove 50% of the player base is a baseless statement.

good point this alone is reason enough not to do it NVIDIA is worse than EA when it comes to their business practices

1 Like

This is a “free” feature. It’s no different than Reshade, SweetFX, GemFX, or any other plethora of RHI tools. CCP doesn’t have to lift a finger here, other than saying usage is or isn’t okay with them. No code needs to be added, no extra files, nada. That simply isn’t how this stuff works.

It’s an interpreter that sits between DirectX/OpenGL and rendering hardware, which then parses shaders and compute programs to enhance graphics. Developers can integrate stuff like this if they want, but generally that’s a waste of time, since… well, it is already done for them. Now that Nvidia (and soon AMD and Intel will follow suit) have “officially” adopted this tech that has been around for over a decade, you’ll be seeing more games with UI wrappers around the functionality.

You’ve probably already seen it in some other games you’ve played- ever unlocked a “sepia” filter after beating a game? That’s a good example of the same idea at play. With Nvidia’s offering, and the more robust Reshade, you get that basic stuff, along with several sharpening algorithms, multiple AA options, dithering, and many other other tweakable bits.

Many moons ago I got banned from Guild Wars, after my guild was one of the first to get some end-game armor, only to find the textures were HORRIBLE. I just heard about a tool for the original Tomb Raider, that allowed you to capture, modify, then re-inject textures from the game… Turns out it worked for Guild Wars as well. So I redesigned the armor, following the same style, but making it much more exciting to the eyes. I then, knowing the risk, posted on the forums about it, and asked if this was okay. It was a client-side “mod”, so only those running it could see the different visuals. I was promptly banned without an answer.

Other community members stood up for me, and after an actual DEVELOPER inspected the whole situation, lifted my ban and gave the greenlight to use the tool. This brings up the real point of CCPs involvement: if they know about this tech (hint: they do), and can confirm it is cosmetic without interfering with sales, and doesn’t afford for cheaters to slap the game around, I can’t see them objecting to us tweaking our visuals. In fact, they should embrace it, since “pretty eye candy screenshots” will be more commonplace, and might potentially drive more people to signing up.

I make no claims to know the inside here- I’m speaking merely from an angle of experience and development knowledge. If a player base for one of my games were using Reshade, I’d be pointing them at a sub-forum where they can share their settings :wink:

Also, Nvidia’s business practices have nothing to do with any of this. It seems 99% of the fanboys out there in the wild don’t even know what they are talking about anyhow. Do any of them actually interact with Nvidia engineers? Those are the cats that matter at a company like that, bottom line. I don’t personally care what the suits upstairs do. My interaction with their programmers and developers has been amazing.

They are helpful, knowledgeable, and share A LOT. Nvidia has dozens of FOS libraries and tools, and they contribute to many others’ stuff, all in the name of making games look prettier and run better. And guess what? A huge chunk of all that is hardware agnostic (ie, Nvidia, AMD, or even CPU only potato laptops). So you can’t make the common argument of “they only do that to get people to buy their hardware”. It simply isn’t so.

Nvidia just recently gave a buddy a free 1080Ti for making a cool scene in Unreal Engine. Pure evil, I tell ya. One of their engineers spent 2 weeks helping me, a lowly dog in the developer world, fix a bug with GameWorks VXGI (their open source global illumination offering) on AMD cards. THEY ARE OUT TO GET US.

Anyway, I found my way here whilst searching for CCP’s official stance on the usage of graphics tools. I’ve yet to find anything, one way or the other. Has anyone else? I’m moving forward with a “no”, until I hear otherwise. Plenty have said “it is fine, no one has been banned”, but that is a pretty naive path to take. I hope they embrace it, because I love my high pass sharpening, extra SMAA pass, and extra boost to ambient occlusion!

1 Like

I hate to bump this, but don’t want it to disappear into the aether. With more and more third-party tools for screenarchers and graphics tweakers coming around, it’d be nice to get some input here. I’ve talked to many players since my last post, that say they have been running such things, without issue for years. I’m guessing since it doesn’t actually enable any bot-like features, nor anything cheat related, it’s kosher.

If I don’t hear an official response from a CCP lad or lass, I’m gonna fire up ReShade and test her out :smiley:

■■■■ nvidia, they keep pulling off ■■■■ hurtin’ the customers.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.