Team Security: 2021 in Review

Hello and welcome back to the forums, I have been expecting you.
Its not as simple as just looking at the hours of activity per day and locking and what ship type is being used and deciding if this is a bot or not.

Team Security changed a few things when it comes to bot detection. Now we investigate the bots (or the characters that are controlled by an automation) much more deeper. We consider multiple things before making the decision to take action or not and if we take action, what type of the action do we want to take, do we remove that specific account immediately and forever from the game or do we issue a temporary suspension to send a message.

This is all done to make sure we do not punish actual players. We are working very hard to make sure there are no false positives. Because a false positive suspension from the game is very bad for everyone as this would mean the following few things:

• Not guilty player gets punished
  • There is a flaw in detection procedure
  • A Support Ticket is created by the not guilty player and that support tickets needs to be addressed which costs time
  • A new investigation needs to be performed and that again costs time
  • This new investigation will also involve multiple members from Team Security and that is again time

So in the end, a false positive ban just costs a lot of time from multiple members of Team Security, the time that needs to be used for stopping RMT, Credit Card fraud and hacking.

And that is why we work very hard to issue bans where we are sure the situation warrants a ban.

Do we still produce false positives? Yes, unfortunately, this still can happen. But it is much less compared to previous years, just because we adjusted our procedures and got better tools to support us in our daily tasks. And if this happens, we are doing our best to resolve the issue (in this case the support ticket) as fast as possible and leave the player happy.

I understand your frustration, but the data sometimes shows a very clear picture and sometimes the situation is in a gray area. We try and do our best to make our players happy and keep the bots out from New Eden.

This question was also asked on the Team Security panel and here you can watch the answer to that question: EVE Online I EVE Fanfest 2022 – Team Security Q&A

2 Likes