Team Security: 2021 in Review

You can make Jita residents life much easier with a simple “block posts with contracts” option and a “block posts with hypernet links” option.
Throw in Block posts with hyperlinks and Block post with corp adds while your at it.

Surely blocks against content I don’t want to see is better than the only option that exists now, that of perma blocking 2,000+ other players

And if it helps limit bots access to victims , even better.

Examples in this very thread, including an admission by CCP Stinger , say that’s a lie. Don’t piss on customers and tell them it’s raining.

It’s cool when ccp does it though. It’s not exactly as damaging to the game as when a third party does it. Anyone want to buy the new battleship pack for $49.99? It includes one of each empires battleships already fit for your first adventure and the temporary use of the relevant skills to run them (for an additional $6.99). Don’t worry, if you lose it to pesky pvpers we’ll replace it fit and all for 150 plex.

Hi! In this reply I was talking about RMT bans, not bot bans specifically. Those are very different kind of bans and very different kind of investigations that need different kind of proof. Let me know which one you’d like to ask questions about, otherwise it can be easy to confuse those two.

Btw years back there was a pie of shame with most noticeably cheating alliances.
Why wont you do it this time around so everyone will know who is aiding and protecting illicit activities.
Like i understand not everyone are to blame from each alliance etc but like top 5 or even top 3 alliances that are leading in making their livelihood in illegal way.

I mean you see in real life news that reporters names straight up an organisations for illicit activities after the proof been gathered. Well you have 70k proofs so why not do the pie chart of shame. Not being greedy here top 3 cheating alliances will do since 70k banned accounts cannot be just all unaffiliated ones.

This way the stink of the cheaters brand will mark them for years to come and good honest players will avoid being associated with cheaters and alliances will have to works their bones off to clear their tarnished names or disband and reform.
But those who will not reset themselves from scratch will have in history the cheater alliance mark and will be watched.

Bring back the pie chart of shame!!

Do gm also check other forum site that are related to eve when they do their investigation ?

hi! All right, lots to unpack, but I’ll try to answer to that. I also encourage you to come to the Discord and ask us there, we’ll have Q&A session next week :slight_smile:

Important to remember - now we are talking about false positives in the RMT bans, not botting. Easy to confuse those two. I am also talking about my personal experience and all the investigations that I have been dealing with personally (provided second opinion, did researches, spent some nights over an overly complicated cases - pls don’t judge, those were rough lockdown times).

Yes, the decision in those are definitive. I wish I could provide our reasonings for it, it would be very easy for players to see how we actually operate, but due to the security reasons I obviously can not disclose our methods, otherwise we’ll have to develop them from scratch. Some cases are more difficult, some are very blatant, but we do see all of them.

We do receive the tickets about these bans. You’d probably be surprised by the amounts of cats walking over the keyboard and accidentally selling ISK/injectors/PLEX on the side, as well as little siblings who decided to RMT on particular accounts. This is a joke of course, but it gives you an idea of what we usually see. We do, however, try to take all the stories into the consideration and issue a second investigation if the case requires it, if it’s anything less that 100% guilt. In that case the investigation is passed on to the colleague, as you have correctly guessed.

I’ll try to give a very crude analogy: if something looks like an orange, tastes like an orange and smells like an orange, it’s most likely an orange. Community can be skeptical from time to time, I totally understand that, but we spend lots of time on those investigations and I assure you that it’s not in our interest to just ban people because we feel like it. It always saddens me to see rumours of “power-hungry GMs” that are ready to swing the ban hammer all over. That’s not the truth.

More regarding RMT bans - most of RMTers will be upset of the ban because they usually see it as their small business on a side and they see us as someone who ruins it. It’s a… cat and mouse, bank and robber situation.

I can also think of a very easy example for you - someone landed on a bad IP or something like that, many people use VPN these days. In case that this is a false positive, the ban is lifted, the missed Omega days are given, we apologize and everything is resolved. But there is also a matter of an actual RMT guy using this bad IP. And this is where Team Sec comes in. We can always tell the difference between those cases.

Regarding opinions - we have four members of Team Sec, each have their own field, but most of the time we share those fields with each other. Second and third pair of eyes is always important. But if there is no room for a doubt, there is not much that can be done. Those cases are very blatant, as I said.

We don’t really have a lot of drama going on. We’ve been working together for a while now, some longer than others and we’ve seen it all, pretty much. In some cases the decision is not easily made - then we discuss it, share our opinions and it results in some… well, outcome.

I hope that answers your questions, but let me know if I can provide some more insight.

3 Likes

We check everything that is required by the certain case.

Imagine that we have… let’s say ten tools. Sometimes we check two, sometimes five, sometimes all ten. Depending on the case.

1 Like

In the end of the day, everything aside, EVE is a game that people play for their pleasure.

I personally don’t think that it’s fair to shame alliances/corporations/regions with certain prevailing population just because some of those who share a space with the might have made a bad choice once. For some the corporations are like family, close ties are made there, friends and relationships. Shaming and nullifying all of this only because someone landed on a slippery slope does not seem right to me.

Crude example: imagine person A living on an island and is friends with everybody. He loves it there, he is proud of his island, he travels everywhere and tells people how awesome his island is. Which is technically true, the island IS awesome. Later there is a news article in… let’s say BBC News that this island is populated with the filthy robbers who stole this much from the treasury. But person A has never stolen anything from the treasury. He knows that his friends, person B and person C are good people and never done anything like that as well.

Turned out that those robbers were person X, person Y and person Z. But the article did not mention it. Instead it mentioned the whole island. You understand that, your friends understand that, but what about other 10000 readers of the BBC News? It is impossible to vouch for all of them.

I know that this is crude example, but hopefully it provided a bit of a different perspective on this situation.

Edit: grammar typos.

2 Likes

This is definitely something we would like to work on - raising awareness regarding those cases and removing this aura of unnecessary secrecy that surrounds Team Sec. This is not something that is done in one day though, but hopefully we’ll be able to change that.

Everything that you said is legitimately very important to say many times in a row and hopefully new and old players will hear that.

As we mentioned in our panel on fanfest - buying from the third party websites is not supporting the small player business. Those are organized groups, they do lots of credit card fraud, they hack accounts, and who knows, maybe some day an ISK buyer will end up buying injectors that were taken from his friends SP.

The choice of buying or not buying ISK aside seems easy now, so we would like not only to stress the inevitability of consequences, but also share the origins and sources of those funds.

2 Likes

Why not back in the pie of shame post one alliance owned nearly 1/5 of all bots in eve. Im not talking about all of them but 3 major ones.
Having a 100 man corp and 3 accounts using illegal software is different than leading (not saying what alliance) something like 20k members structure but on regular basis having 10% of them banned.
Plus at this point after so much time, youtube videos, twitch streams and ingame chatter the suspects are known even without clear statement, i just wonder only to what extent the reach of them goes.

You threw a big number there the 70k accounts. That number by itself is mind boggling BAD and effects are felt visibly at market prices and people moods already.
Examples should be made since 70k bans within year? That’s more or less 200 something accounts daily being proven guilty of cheating one way or another and i suspect you (with good winds and RNG on your side) manage to catch and prove most cases of rmt and maby half of botting if lucky given the nature of game.

Pie chart of shame is not so bad idea since registering account with eve is easy, flying gila is 1 day, flying ishtar is like 2 skill injectors and a plex (they will bot it out in 3 days) and i bet lion share of those bans are done by up to 5 major entities.

Plus, if you treat corp/alliance as family wouldn’t you want to know that new member is not some shady deal that you introducing to your hen-house?
I believe in people can reform from mistakes they made, but not when they are recidivists doing same thing over and over. There is a case of just living in bad neighbourhood and case of getting out of prison for stealing and fraud… twice… and then blaming it for bad neighbourhood.

Again :stuck_out_tongue: Bring the pie of shame chart back.

Would it be rude of me to point out that both @GM_Stinger and @GM_Aisling have both been caught blatantly lying and contradicting themselves multiple times in this thread, and that they refuse to engage with me after I pointed out specifically @GM_Aisling’s lies?

Maybe, but I also just got off work, so I’m very tired and nursing a cider, so I don’t care.

E: @GM_Stinger No matter how many times you report my posts as spam, I will fight with the ISDs to get them rightfully re-instated.

2 Likes

You Sir, are a troll. And we don’t feed the trolls.

You want a discussion about your case or Roughneck Joe his case reviewed again, submit a support ticket. We won’t be going into details of personal matters here publicly.

1 Like

Ehm, not sure where did this number of 70k accounts come from, it was not from us. Because that numbers is way to high. Please read the Dev Blog again to see the proper numbers.

Somebody here posted that numbers and I am not sure where it came from.

Unfortunately, we will be not disclosing any information about which Corp or Alliance is botting and shame them publicly. This goes against our 3rd party policy.

However, I can name a few corporations that are actively botting in the game and those are:

School of Applied Knowledge
Science and Trade Institute
State War Academy
Federal Navy Academy
Hedion University
Center for Advanced Studies
University of Caille

:wink:

2 Likes

There was a post many moons ago from a wormhole group who noticed three nyx pilots in one system doing some very curious behaviours. Warping to the same POS as soon as they entered local, not leaving the POS until local was clear. The wrecks on d-scan showed they were ratting it hard. This went on for several hours while they waited for a critical mass of people to log in.

So when they were ready, the wormhole people put out mobile bubbles and waited for the supers to come out again. Lo and behold, they found three supers sitting in mobile bubbles. The give away they they were bots? A super piloted by a real person would have used their “omg that is a lot of dps” fighters and fired back when aggressed, but the nyx pilots did not.

I do not fly caps, but from what I see of how the mechanics worked back then, how citadel fighters work now, I would have said the level of automation/scripting required to run a super in that fashion required level of technological skill to the point of it being impracticable. Yet anyone who works in the software development industry will know first hand, automation and scripting of test cases are how enterprise software gets built in the big shops by the smart people so they do not have to mindless click stuff for hours.

Yet there it was in the three nyx pilots, proof that someone did it someone went to the effort to build it. Do not discount something cannot be done, just because YOU think its too hard.

This is what the dev blog says

“During 2021, Team Security banned a total of 70,492 accounts. This is certainly a lot of bans – but it’s worth pointing out that throughout 2021 a significant number of accounts were created automatically (a violation of the EULA) and were proactively banned before they were able to log into the game. More details regarding the different ban types can be found below.”

It’s CCP’s number.

This doesn’t inspire confidence.

4 Likes

I think EAC will detect if you are using mice that do scripts for auto recoil and prevent a game from launching. But EAC also false poitivied a bunch of guys who used VM’s with GPU pass through to play games also, so it is in no way a exmplar solution.

Ah right, the total numbers of the bans issued.
Well need to brake those numbers down per category of botting and RMT and hacking and CCFraud and just simply the account that are created via automation.

But again as mentioned before, there is data that we see that is just simply is not available to the public.

For example, as I mentioned in the Team Security Panel on Fanfest 2022, regarding botting, there are organizations that are creating accounts every day, in batches. We are able to identify the pattern and remove them from the game at the point where the accounts have been created, even before they are able to login into those accounts and create characters. So when you are dealing on daily basis with the bad guys, you see the patterns and you can say for sure that those accounts were created just for one purpose specifically and that is either for botting or to be used for credit card fraud. Soo in other words, those are accounts but those are not characters as we remove them from the game even before they are able to get up and running.

And as I have already mentioned in my previous reply, most of the bots do not join player run corporations, they just sit in the NPC corp because that is where the system puts the characters in when they are created, so to create a pie chart of shame is a bit difficult and that is irrelevant for us as we don’t look at that information, we are just simply hunting down the bad guys.

1 Like

Please do not go down this route, these technologies are meaningless to cheaters who use burner accounts and devastating to people who have their game libraries rendered useless due to a false positive that nigh impossible to contest.

Have you considered an EVE captcha, where its like ‘click all the cruisers to verify you are not a bot’ ?

3 Likes