Tengu HAM vs. HM for C2/3 and low-sec DED

Hi, it looks like T3 boats got an overhaul with subsystems, so I’m trying to figure out what’s best for C2/3 and low-sec DED. It seems like you can actually make a good fit now and keep a cloak + probe launcher. My question is regarding HAM vs. HM launchers, I can see all the numbers in Pyfa, but how’s it like in practical terms? I could use rigs to increase the range on HAM’s, but I don’t know if it’s worth it. Since I’m flying a non-drone ship, I also need to make sure I can even kill smaller fast targets without it taking forever. I can fly a Legion and a Proteus too, if they’re considered better for this.

Also, is 75% omni tank with 400 EHP/s enough for C3? I can push it to 500, just wondering what to expect.

HAM with rage in C2 will keep you out of range longer, than it is comfortable. And Javelin will slow you down cause of low DPS. But still doable.
Best Tengu fit for C3 is Loki :wink:
[Loki, C3: Maximum DPS]

Power Diagnostic System II
Domination Ballistic Control System

Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster
Gist X-Type Shield Boost Amplifier
Pithum C-Type Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Thukker Large Cap Battery
Corelum C-Type 10MN Afterburner

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Nova Rage Heavy Assault Missile
Heavy Pulse Laser II, Scorch M

Medium Warhead Flare Catalyst II
Medium Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I

Loki Core - Augmented Nuclear Reactor
Loki Defensive - Adaptive Defense Node
Loki Offensive - Launcher Efficiency Configuration
Loki Propulsion - Wake Limiter

Hobgoblin II x2
Hammerhead II x3

Of cause you are welcome to replace 2 high slots with probe launcher and cloak (you can skip Power diagnostic system if you dismount one laser)
[Loki, C3: Maximum DPS covert op]

Gist B-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Dread Guristas Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Dread Guristas Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Thukker Large Cap Battery
Corelum C-Type 10MN Afterburner

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Nova Javelin Heavy Assault Missile
Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Medium Hydraulic Bay Thrusters II
Medium Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Ancillary Current Router II

Loki Core - Augmented Nuclear Reactor
Loki Defensive - Covert Reconfiguration
Loki Offensive - Launcher Efficiency Configuration
Loki Propulsion - Wake Limiter

Hobgoblin II x2
Hammerhead II x3

This way you get 45 km range (NPC cruiser) but you can apply only about 500 DPS untill drones catch up (660 DPS with drones)

Loki is the only T3 I can’t fly :confused: But I can see it being quite useful with drones and not being locked to 1 damage type.

Though If range is so important, isn’t it better to just go HM, and then use rigs for rigors and flares? That’d pretty much make fury missiles useful on all ships but the smallest elite frigs. It’s almost 700 dps @ 70 km range. For Tengu that is.

Also, why are you using a cap battery? Is that for neut reasons?

Yes and no. The cap battery will increase your overall capacitor pool and regeneration time. PVE activities require your ship to be cap stable with all the modules on or at least a long enough time to deal with the threat(s) you will be facing.

You will have an easy time in a class 2 wormhole but in a class 3 one, you want to be cap stable in the anomalies - especially the sleeper data and relic sites.

I prefer heavy missiles but that is up to you, just keep in mind that you bring a ton of ammo when using HAMs.

If you happen to stumble upon a black hole effect wormhole (looks like a pancreas from the inside), all missiles will get decent range and application bonus.
In a magnetar effect wormhole, I would even go so far and advise you to refit for rapid light launchers.
Always look out for combat probes.

Now go out there and make money!

Neut reasons will force you into cap booster, batteryjust not enough. But since minmatar ships capacitors are quick in recharging and low in capacity, battery helps a lot to be cap stable.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.