This is mine:
Computer mouse is one of the worst interfaces that has ever been invented! It drives me nuts. I prefer actual physical calculators.
This is mine:
Computer mouse is one of the worst interfaces that has ever been invented! It drives me nuts. I prefer actual physical calculators.
Frankly, commas or dots make no real difference in EVEāwhat actually matters are the zeros at the end, because thatās where decisions live or die. When youāre dealing with industry margins, market PvP, or logistics at scale, youāre not squinting at separators, youāre asking whether itās six zeros or nine. The calculator being bare-bones feels very on-brand: EVE assumes you understand numbers, not that you need them prettied up, and if you care enough about precision, youāre probably already exporting to spreadsheets anyway. In a universe where a single misplaced zero can bankrupt a corp, the absence of commas is hardly the real danger.
Luckily in certain instances like when making corp payments, I small tool tip pops up to tell you how much isk you typed out
The game does have commas, actually more, than that - it enforces commas even when thereās no point. A couple weeks ago the feature of obligatory comma and one decimal sign behind it was forcibly introduced to my system. I cannot get rid of it! For example:
1+1=2,0 or 2x4=8,0
Whatās worse, copying result of such operation does not include comma, however it takes zero, effictively always multiplying result by ten. Should I hit Ctrl+C on the result above, I wouldnāt have pasted 2, but 20! This is infuriating! My MS Windows 11 settings are ok, at least Windows calculator does not push extra comma where it isnāt needed. Does anyone know how to fix this bug?
For me those calculations result in
1+1=2.0
2*4=8.0
so with a dot instead of comma, because thatās the settings my windows machine uses.
and when I copy the result it copies the number with the dot.
If itās using a comma for you instead of dot that is likely because of your windows settings.
And why it doesnāt copy the comma - I do not know. It copies the dot for me correctly.
Either way I donāt see the point of an in-game calculator. Weāre all playing EVE on a machine that has itās own calculator and has access to far better calculators if we wanted.
I think the easiest fix to all of this is for CCP to delete the calculator.
Honestly, probably should be. Like beyond the thousands separator issue people mention above, the percentage is wonky, memory buttons work but are unintuitive, the parentheses donāt work at all that i have been able to find. And history is trapped behind a dropdown (and only shows result not calculation+result)
Id hoped that I might be able to drag numbers from the market window to it but that donāt work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You carry a calculator in your pocket, and take it with you everywhere you go. Thereās a non-zero chance youāre using it to read this post.
That calculator is infinitely better than the one in Eve, and has none of the downsides you mentioned.
I havenāt used the in-game calculator in over a decade, and had forgotten it existed.
I honestly donāt recall I ever used EVEās calculator.
Whenever I need to calculate something my PC has a good calculator, or spreadsheets make more advanced calculations possible.
While itās true you then need to swap between the calculator window and EVE, I feel like the same happens with the in-game calculator window. Luckily I can show both a calculator (or spreadsheet) on one monitor and EVE on the other, and Iām probably on the low side of number of monitors as EVE player with only two.
Then pin the window to be always on top. Itās what I do. I also pin things like youtube videos or ebooks Iām reading.
On Windows this function is in the PowerToys app by Microsoft, on Mac you can use a third-party tool like Afloat, and on most Linux window managers it will be built-in (I recommend KDE).
A calculator like that was the first application weāve built in a high school class. Itās really not that difficult to built and maintain it. The thousands separator is just a couple of lines of code and does not need any further maintenance whatsoever. Even removing it from the game client is literally more work, since you need to remove the dead code, remove the button, any shortcuts if they exist,ā¦
Iām frustrated because I canāt multiply matrices with the ingame calculator.
When will CCP resolve this issue???
No one is asking for a scientific calculator, but just a simple digit grouping in a game that deals with billions. It makes sense and you know it.
Yah, I have no objections.
Nobody that is of a clear mind uses points in a calculation. Points END something, kommas connectā¦..and km are superiour to miles because 1 km is 1000 steps,nobody that is not 10 ft tall can actually do a 1,609m(which translates to 1/1000 mile) step. And if i confuse you with thatā¦.that is willingly ![]()
Nobody cares what separators you use. If you need a standard separator to understand where the decimal is, you lack the capacity for the higher level thought required for it to matter, and even balancing a check book is beyond you.
But, of course this is case, as you then went on to rant needlessly about the difference between the Imperial and Metric systems.
How can there even be a rant? Metric is clearly superiourā¦.imperial makes NO sense at all
Just because us is the only country where it is still used and teached to those poor kids does not make it better in any way ![]()
Teaching anyone the imperial system is intellectual abuse.
Not my fault you limit yourselves to the system intended for the simple minded.
You can teach a monkey to count by base ten.