The Asteroid Distance Debacle

And someone rinsing you from every angle isn’t any sort of indicator of anything either. You’re just getting rinsed and dont like it.

I’ve pointed out a genuine issue that anyone can go repeat for themselves. I’ve described it in considerable detail. What the hell has ‘rinsed’ got to do with it ? Do people practice being obnoxious on this forum…or does it just come naturally ?

1 Like

Im not being obnoxious. I can see how itnwould appear that way.

Would you prefer the term “ROFLstomped” instead of rinsed? :laughing:

I don’t really care. I’ve pointed out the issue. Ignore it…or don’t. One should not have to face a barrage of trolling for simply being helpful.

No, its nothing to do with warping ‘through’ a belt. I always mine well above or below the belt and had a clear line of sight to the station I wanted to warp to…indeed that is the very first thing I check. The issue arises only with larger asteroids, 10km wide or so, and seems to occur only when your distance from the edge of the asteroid is less than the diameter of the asteroid itself. You can find yourself hitting the lasers at 11km and the asteroid even showing 11km distance…and you can clearly even see that you are far from the asteroid…but then the act of setting ‘align to’ a station suddenly changes your distance from the asteroid to zero ! Despite the ship not moving at all.

All the time it is at zero, which it remains at for quite some time even if you try to move away, you cannot go into warp. It remains at zero even though you can see yourself moving away from the asteroid…and then at some point maybe 30 seconds later it starts to rise above zero.

It is clearly a bug. If CCP and players want to ignore it then fine…I’ve done my bit.

CCP doesn’t read their own forums, for the most part. They are more likely to see something on Reddit, Twitter or Facebook.

As for the “piled on by trolls”, that’s got nothing to do with being helpful. There are people around so ill-bred that they’ve grown up thinking Biff Tannen and Nelson Muntz are ideal role models.

I blame society, their parents, and George Bush for these people.

For CCP, you want to take a screen cap of it showing the issue, and file a bug report.

2 Likes

So what is being seen is that entering the subwarp zone is causing the distance to change.

Was there a vod somewhere that explains to us that when warping our ship is going under the map like in some tunnel for the game to perform such ship warp?

Could this be what is happening that is making the ship appear to be at zero compared to actual?

Well…here is an exact description…

I warp to the asteroid belt…spot a large asteroid I want to mine. Its 40km away…I point my ship to an angle above it so I will come to rest some distance from it. I fire the laser at 15km, and carry on moving towards the asteroid till I am 11km away, and stop the ship. The targeting display clearly says 11km.

I send out my mining drones. They seem to be getting ‘stuck’ coming back round from the far side of the asteroid, so I bring them back again. I ‘look at’ the station I want to warp to…I have a clear line of sight…absolutely nothing in the way. I try to do ‘align to’…but the speed indicator does not move at all. That’s when I notice that despite not having moved at all, the asteroid distance now says 0km ( actually it says 0m ) .

I try to warp…nothing happens. In all this time my actual visual distance from asteroid has not changed at all. I cancel the warp and aim the ship directly away from the asteroid…it takes an entire 30 seconds for the display to stop saying 0m and start saying 10m, 200m, 1000m. Finally, I find I can warp.

In all that time, visually I am about the same distance from the huge asteroid as its 11km or so width. In other words I am nowhere near it.

Can you share with us which belt this is happening? Also share fitting please.

Lol…no…not gonna say where I mine. And the issue occurs both with a Proc and with a Venture. In fact it was in a basic Venture, the day of the mining ‘changes’ that I first noticed it. The issue only seems to occur with larger asteroids where one’s distance from asteroid is less than or equal to its width. For example…never had it occur if I am 5km away from a 1km wide asteroid…but it happens if I am 5km away from a 10km wide asteroid. I think the system is getting confused and thinks you are ‘inside’ the asteroid…for whatever reason. It’s recalculating the distance at some point and getting it wrong.

Could it it be that the larger asteroid somehow is just overcompensating to try and trick the highsec miner into assuming that it is larger than it really is? Do these new larger scaled asteroids produce the volume of similar sized nullsec asteroid?

I mean you can’t even mine correctly? Which system ya in? I’ll come and show you how.

You realize different cultures have different slang right? Its almost like you are playing an international game :smiley:

You aren’t being trolled and you aren’t being helpful. You infantilize your fellow miners and now can’t even mine correctly. Sounds like a you problem :smiley:

These people huh? But then the only brush you’re able to use is a broad one so

Convenient. So no one else can replicate it huh?

1 Like

This doesn’t happen. You are definitely approaching that asteroid before the distance says 0m. If this actually happens, you should be able to observe and note/record when the distance suddenly switches to saying 0km from whatever-km as you’re staying still.

As with most objects in space, their center point isn’t actually in their visual center. But all objects function as a sphere or a cube (or a collection of such for complex structures like stations), with their physical “bump” sizes set by the developers (but not something we can actually see/know). The game calculates your distance to the object by subtracting the sphere’s radius from the distance between the center point of the object and your ship’s center point. I genuinely doubt that the calculation happens from the physical edge of the object (i.e. where the texture mesh is located).

So when you meet a big, uneven rock, there might be a lot of empty space that’s actually part of its physical size because its center point won’t necessarily be in the true geometric center location. And likewise, there can be bits of the object that are outside of its physical space, where there will be no collision. This is why you can sometimes fly through sections of large objects as if there’s nothing there.

4 Likes

I’m guessing Destiny’s theory here is pretty close to the mark. The particular mission I ran and encountered this, the asteroid is a kind of long lumpy potato shape. If CCP uses a sphere with the longest projection of the object as it’s radius then you’d get exactly that sort of collision.

When I noticed the odd collision, I was approaching the asteroids from a different angle than previously (using a different ship with a different movement profile). So it would make perfect sense if I was passing a visually “shorter” angle of the asteroid, but still bumping into its maximum size collision sphere.

Might poke around a bit next time I run it and see if I get different results depending which side I’m on.

It comes naturally I’m sure, and they get a kick at your reactions. I don’t blame them, anyone with an ounce of self-respect would’ve muted quite a few of them but not you :sweat_smile: You just keep replying to them the more they pull your chain :rofl: Troll feeder.

I’ve always found the ones who mute others are the weakest.

Good for you. Do what works for you.
I’ve always found the ones who try to get rises out of people the weakest. I’m satisfied with that stance.

1 Like

What’s funny is how often a dissenting opinion gets labeled trolling. Imagine not being able to handle words in a vidya game :smiley:

1 Like

I think you know what those who can’t take a joke can do, right? :sweat_smile:

It happened.

Plus one cannot be 11km away from an asteroid whose total width is 11km…and thus radius 5.5km…and have your theory be true. What’s more the distance actually said 11km on starting mining.