The CSM 13 Winter Summit Minutes are out

As mentioned level IIIs would not be affected, level IVs are a suggestion on my part, not a hard and fast proposal. Older players running level IVs would also know about running DED sites etc too along with being able to jump clone to other regions.

Wars can’t just be removed, so there has to be some change, which also means some give and take. I don’t support social corps myself as I don’t believe they address the problem.

Well, actually…

:wink:

That’s the most disheartening thing that my friends and I hear when communicating with both the CSM and CCP; that they have no idea how to fix a certain long term problem or that they don’t have the assets/capabilities to implement the needed changes. A close second issue is the constant refrain that a particular issue/problem that a group of people report hasn’t even been yet identified by CCP and if it has, been dismissed outright due to the devs conclusions that are “supported” by analysing their data.

I know that there won’t be some wonder cure for all that ills EVE found in any forum or board. HOWEVER, maybe some opinion or idea may spark a concept that the devs feel could be used in the game to remedy one issue that plagues EVE and put it back on the road to financial and functional health. When we all hear stories, first or second hand, that the people running the game have “no ideas” on how to fix a broken game mechanic, yet alone acknowledge that a certain major part of EVE gameplay is broken, you want to throw up your hands and walk away from the game. Instead, people like you,Arrendis, and a whole bunch of others including myself are trying to help identify and offer starting points for solutions created by CCP’s developers. On the other side, our opponets will be those insisting on maintaining the absolute status quo, disillusioned or frustrated developers, those that insist any change ruins the game, and trolls.

Look, we could sit back and enjoy the cruise while the EVE ship steers itself onto the known shoals, but that’s the problem. Many of us see the clearly marked and known dangers before us; its no rogue wave, no random wandering iceberg. We have been going to those people in charge and voicing our concerns only to be met with “now,now, who’s in charge here?”, “here, enjoy this drink or distraction”, or “rest assured, the captain and crew wouldn’t steer you wrong”

I don’t know about you and your friends, but as I look over at the lifeboat divots, I can’t help but notice that many are already empty; as empty as many of the systems I now find in EVE. Pardon me, while my friends and I start inching toward the nearest remaining station, we don’t want to get trampled. We’re not quite ready to board, but we’re also not waiting for the collision.

2 Likes

Small groups and solo want to improve their lot even in highsec: A social corp excludes the first step to improving their situation which is usually buying an Athanor, maybe two, so the small group of 4 or 5 players can get some regular mining income from their toons.

Of course when a 60-100 player corp declares war and kills all there stuff - then players leave.

1 Like

Setting aside for a moment the utter revulsion at the word ‘toons’… why do they need an Athanor? Is the HS yield that much better if you don’t refine in a station?

Or indeed in someone else’s station that can defend it.

No, but the moon ore belts extracted from a 0.5 moon are significantly better than the best static highsec asteroid belts.

The good news however is that you don’t need to own an Athanor to mine the moon belts they produce. You can mine those of others under the watchful eye of CONCORD.

2 Likes

What I saw in the system my high-sec trader is based in: A small group that did ice mining get to know each other and chat and several 2 or 3 man corps get to hang out.

Ice mining is sporadic so its natural to want to have a common activity. An Athanor guarantees a common meeting place to mine for a day or so every week. The Athanor owner then buys another one or two more and that one corp (2/3 members) becomes the center of a small group as the 3 Athanors + ice spawns gives this group or 15-20 players something they like doing for most of the week and there’s lots of socializing.

Then a corp with 65 members, part of a 600 member alliance comes in declares for 3 weeks and destroys all their player generated content.
This result the owner of the Athanors - who figures enough is enough - quitting, several other go with to try out something else while under war-dec. After the center of the community has gone others log in less and also disappear.

EDIT: Sorry about “toon” but wanted differentiate between players & toons.
A new(ish) player may have a 2 great mining “toons” and an orca but if forced to not use then - All the other “toons” on the account may be low skilled and useless for anything but PI.

1 Like

What alliance was it?

CODE: The fleet that came to bash the Athanors was made up of 6 Leshak, 6 Baalgorns that looked they were being multiboxed and about 5 or 6 various other ships.

When someone from the group (but not war-dec’d) came out to make an effort and bump some Leshaks - about 20 code members turned up to trry and gank him - They war dec’d his 2 man corp and I’ve not seen him or the owner of the Athanors since

Edit: Serenity Space - Since April 299.03 billion isk killed & lost 1 ship.

1 Like

Lmao

Maybe (just maybe) they should have minded their own business? :thinking:

• Maybe the player with enough guts to get out and have a go at them had a future in a PVP corp - maybe - but he’s left now
  • Maybe the player who organized a group of players together into a community had a future as a leader of a corp or even alliance in low or null - maybe - but he’s left now
  • Maybe some the miners who socialized in that group would have gone to a pvp corp with their friend - maybe - but they have gone now

It would be funny if was not sad.

4 Likes

What I would say is that 3 people in a corp is not going to be able to defend an Athanor, and nor should they be able to against those numbers. It would have made sense to base the fleet out of someone elses structures.

It does show the need for wars to be rebalanced though. There’s clearly no way such a small corp had a chance, but also should such a small corp actually be able to put up a citadel?

Come now. This is a PvP game. We can’t throw our hands up in their air and claim that whenever some group loses to another it is some tragedy of epic proportions that needs developer intervention. In a PvP game there are winners and there are losers. That is normal and expected gameplay. Clutching pearls over this fact is completely silly and makes engaging in the core gameplay impossible if you are going to claim the game broken because someone can lose to someone else.

If someone can’t handle losing, then honestly they aren’t cut out for this game. Even the current top dogs, The Imperium, suffered a near complete and total loss just a few years ago. The game is intended to work this way and if someone can’t handle not winning 100% of the time, it isn’t something CCP can reasonably solve.

I agree, social groups should not automatically be destroyed when a group suffers a defeat, and hopefully a social corp or the equivalent can fix that. But these dramatics over losing a single battle aren’t going to get you anywhere. There is no way CCP can provide immunity to loss in a game specifically designed so everything puts you in conflict with, and makes you content for the other players.

2 Likes

It won’t be a pvp game for very long if there a no players to recruit into pvp corps

2 Likes

A mining citadel that by it nature is for public use

1 Like

Do Athanors cause ice spawns in HS?

Public use or otherwise makes no difference as to whether a 3 member corp will be able to defend it.

Eve Online will be a PvP game until the servers are shut down.

Carebears and their apologists have been saying the same thing since 2003 when the servers went live. “Change the game to what I want or no one will play” they say. Well, they were wrong then, and are wrong now, and Eve Online is still massively profitable out-lasting almost every single one of its contemporaries.

Eve will die some day, but it won’t be because there is too much PvP and player interaction going on. A much more plausible death will be by pussification and stagnation via desperate and futile attempts to pander to fickle carebears.

1 Like

EVE’s definitely a niche game. I’d be real careful of calling it ‘massively’ profitable.

1 Like