The Future looks bright!

wonder if NPC could make full deployment and siege an Alliance Citadels?

1 Like

I don’t know, I pretty much thought Cannibal Kane was kind of a prick. Station camped and shot noobs in an OP T3. The shot guys had no way to fight back, they were trying to save up money for a T1 cruiser for L3 missions or whatever. Zero risk of getting killed in return for CK.

But what made me really consider him worthless was when some of us carebears were invading then-Goonspace in Thrashers and such. Learning PVP the hard way-- past the borderline gate camps, and into deep nullsov, solo and locals alerted. Dude popped into our chat channel to call us all noobs, losers and tampons. Thanks, mighty hero mate. We’re taking stupid crazy risks, and you’re sitting around popping noobs doing your one-horse racetrack OP high sec schtick? :eyes:

I cant speak of him personally,
barely interacted with him outside of the forums myself .

You would kick his arse, Ralph. As would any honest and reasonably brave PVPer, if they could manage to taunt him out of his set of highly optimized high sec conditions. Not likely though, low sec, null sec, WHs are unpredictable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can check that for yourself. :slight_smile:

These average Joes in here are hilarious. So many tears.

@Ralph_King-Griffin ignore the princesses, they have no clue of him beyond what they want to see.

You’re perfectly entitled to voice your dissent, Khergit.

Like Ralph, I didn’t know Kane personally (as I said, he thought little of Code shenanigans…).

However, he did strike fear into the hearts of his enemies. Even a cursory glance at his solo Zkill records seems to indicate that his targets were quite varied, even though latterly he appeared to be dealing mostly with structures, and in fleet ops in that connection.

Whatever you thought of him personally, he was one of those people who undoubtedly contributed to the game in a practical way rather than spending lots of time nit-picking on the forums (confession: I do this).

His name is instantly recognised by a large number of people; he is (or was) EVE-famous. Also, he always appeared on the forums using his main. That’s something I do respect.

If a bit of smack-talk in Local was sufficient to ignite your antipathy, then you must be constantly on the boil!

This was his old thread.

https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/topic/167628/

This was a thread of one of his victims: http://eve-search.com/thread/266942-1/page/all

His actions spoke for him, and his hair was amazing.

1 Like

One of my alts was in a bit of a pickle with some hoodlum whod took something against her, to the extent Kane got involved.

He was a thourghly decent chap throughout and only cancelled whatever deal he had with the guy because we dodged around and got the target before he got his claws into any of us.

Good times and gf.

1 Like

Thank you so much for providing those links Mr P, I had a good laugh going through the comments there!

It also reminded me just how much we’ve lost in terms of other ‘characters’, irrespective of the format of the forums themselves. I’ve come to realise that the discussion about whether Discord is better than the old-dead style, is academic. What matters is the quality of posts and the interactions between posters. Yes, there was some tripe, but overall I think the good old days were lively, entertaining, informative, and wholly - well, largely - in keeping with the good-natured PvP ethos of the game.

(sigh…)

1 Like

Agreed. It’s less the where and muchmore the how. Many people don’t recognize quality and instead only care about the shiny covering the filth behind it.

Btw, it’s good to have you around here. You’re a good voice of reason.

1 Like

I know, right!? My favorite thing about Sasha is that he’s not constantly posting pages of drivel on every topic.

1 Like

Yeah, and i like how he’s capable of writing more than one liners that aren’t based on feelings. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m really proud of you for expressing that thought in less than a five paragraph essay.

2 Likes

Just for you. :slight_smile: You know i could have! :grin:

1 Like

This would rock. NPC Dreadbomb might be fun too.

1 Like

When I started playing EVE, Kane was a forum, and ingame, fixture.

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but he answered my newb questions, never made me feel foolish for asking, and always provided positive and informative responses.

In many ways, he shaped my EVE future.

I am still playing, years later, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to know him, how ever briefly.

1 Like

Well, to nit-pick some more, it wasn’t smack talk in Local. It was the Carebears Invasion of Goons Space chat channel that the infamous Harry Forever set up to invite newbros to do a guerrilla insurgency in null sec. We all knew we were inexperienced rookie newbros, and we knew that the odds of accomplishing anything in cheap T1 ships were bad. But the guys were about as far from “risk averse” as you can be. They deep in Deklein, living in Trashers with nowhere to dock up, being chased around, having bubble camps popping up around to catch the rabbit. And shooting up The Mittaningrad, just to say they did it.

So who’s this guy coming into the open to the public chat channel, feeling around to see if we were uninformed enough to organize into a deccable high sec corp? And when the awox/spai mission fails, why do you have to call everybody a cretin and a disposable sanitary product? Noobs doing PVP-- did anyone ask you to show up and give your opinion? Who’s more “risk averse”? Carebears in null, or pattern gimmick high sec KB thing?

To each his own, but not my kind of Eve player, I guess. Why be a prick to younger players who are just trying go forth and fight and get blown up. That’s not PVP or maximizing your skills in a game. That’s just being a prick personality. And still not very impressed with high sec game mechanics KBs. heh

2 Likes

I get where your coming from, but keep in mind that if the game ever added npc gate camps in highsec (Ones that could scram/point and kill freightors.) Eve would quite literally “DIE” within months, as eve would lose a massive amount of subs over it. Quite possibly half the entire playerbase. (I fully admit, I’m just making an educated guess on the numbers.)

Now if they didn’t scram/point or were avoidable without requiring a scouting alt account, that would be a different story, hell it would likely liven up the game some.

Keep in mind highsec is meant to be the safest area of the game, and we’re already getting to the point where it’s getting awfully close to being the 2nd safest. But maybe thats the plan, to push everyone into nullsec, where it will be safest.

You think in old ways, and you will either adapt, or leave. What HighSec is “supposed” to be isn’t relevant. What they’re doing with it is, though. And when they hopefully stop with the rather bad US style of overprotecting children, the children will learn to watch out for themselves. And that’s a good thing, because that also helps with antagonism and raises the general activity in highsec, it grows people into vigilantism and it will cause more people to spread into lowsec, too.

People can quit all they want. it will be gradual. there’s always an influx of new people, and them replacing the old ones, who drop out, is the norm. Doomsday scenarios are nothing but scenarios and not going to happen.

i have no idea what you mean by “it’s getting close to being the second safest”, unless you buy into the nonsense about rampant suicide ganking and wardecs, both done by a tiny minority of people only, affecting only a minority of others.

3 Likes

I agree with ‘To each his own’ (view), Khergit.

Kane was also very scathing about the New Order of Highsec (i.e. me) and used similar expressions in that connection. However, my response was to chuckle. Being pleasant and deferential didn’t fit with the persona he desired for his in-game character. Heigh-ho.

I was an inexperienced rookie newbro once, too. Not alone there, I guess. You seem to have had an experience which aroused your antipathy; I had several such experiences which had the potential to do so. I’m just not easily baited like that.

Kane’s character was a divisive figure. Apparently it still is. Now there’s longevity for you!

2 Likes