The real reasons player population is declining

Thanks for agreeing with me, I had faith I could make you see some sense. Sadly you derailed again with:

Oh is this a version of the “You gank pixels hence you must gank blood” argument?

What is it with some people wanting to turn a game into something that it’s not?

If CCP really did want this to be played by the masses with maximum profit in mind, they would have done exactly what Blizzard Entertainment has done with World of Warcraft. But instead they designed a niche game for a niche crowd and somehow they have succeeded with it. Obviously not in a grand scale like World of Warcraft but it definitely left a mark. Eve Online has become one of the top 3 exports in Iceland and has contributed significantly to the island nation’s Gross Domestic Product. It has encouraged more tourism into Iceland and has even helped save the Harpa venue which, before Eve Online became popular, was probably due to close down for lack of attendance if I recall correctly.

Not only that, it has even encouraged players to get together in person in not just Fanfest but also in various small meetups as well as Eve Vegas and more.

As for the simulation part, it is a simulation. Not of the real world but of a social experiment. Imagine running a grand experiment where you take away the threat of death and allow law and order to go the way of the dodo and see what happens in a game where people can try out things in the game that would be considered dangerous to do in the real world. Of course that will invite the worst of people and we have seen such people, but surprisingly the worst individuals are vastly outnumbered by those who are kindhearted. But all of that is contained within the game. These players may act out immorally in game but the vast majority understand that once they log off, their Eve personas stay in Eve and never enter the real world. Even Alexander ‘The MIttani’ Guianturco had to learn that the hard way despite having an ego that rivals Seto Kaiba’s in Yu-Gi-Oh.

As for the people who are truly bastards and really have no morals (both in the game and in the real world) they are an insignificant minority of players in a niche game. They are not as populous as many make them out to be. Just because a minority of these players do unethical things doesn’t mean the rest of the player base are like that. The vast majority of the player base are real world professionals with families, friends and honest careers. Some are real world students starting their careers and a game about spreadsheets in the space and corporate management has often helped them out. Some of them are even helping out players who are going through depression by providing a support systems like Broadcast4Reps with the help of The Six Empire led by the Space Pope Max Singularity. There have been charities that helped fellow players and their families who have either lost people they know or have died themselves. We have players who are carefully maintaining a space memorial that houses the names of players who have died. We even ran charities to support victims of earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes.

Do you honestly believe that Eve Online is filled with nothing but the most vile people in the world? That’s the message I seem to be getting from you after reading your post. It’s pretty ironic to be honest. A game that touts itself as having this cutthroat universe only to be vastly populated by some of the kindest people I have ever seen.

Since I mentioned Blizzard earlier, it’s funny how I stopped playing some of their games since ironically they’re the ones whose games are heavily populated by real bastards. I stopped playing Overwatch for that reason and I have played since launch. Anyone who has carefully followed Overwatch and its community will know precisely what I’m talking about. Meanwhile I’m over here in Eve Online playing the one game that has the reputation of being the Mos Eisley of MMOs and yet I’m surrounded by awesome players.

As for kids playing the game, that responsibility falls with the parents.

3 Likes

I for one like Lord of the Flies Online.

EvE makes me truly appreciate many of the rules and regulations of the real world.
Playing in New Eden allows me to see what life might be like when people with modern sensibilities are thrust into scenarios from the 17-18th centuries.

–Gadget is sad she’ll miss FanFest. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I would just like to say that, unlike the local trolls, I have read every line of your post and fully appreciate all that you’ve said. thank you for sharing!

I’ve said this repeatedly in this thread. ICELAND is thriving on Suicide Ganking!

As numerous attempts over the years have demonstrated, that is easier said then done!

Here, the post dips into some pretty standard ‘EVE Online Forum Propaganda’. How else can you market a collection of failed, half-baked, systems??? Pretend the failures were intentional and call it a “Social Experiment.”

And then, the post dips into a major CONTRADICTION.
First>>>>

And then >>>>

These two statements are Contradictory and Don’t Prove or demonstrate anything. While players in EVE Online are victimising other players in game, suicide ganking, gate-camping, griefing, scamming, etc. players in Overwatch are what? trolling games, verbally abusing other players? EVE Online enables Cyberbullies to victimize other players IN GAME, in EVE Online the low-life players get to take their aggression out on other players IN THE GAME while in Overwatch the aggression is outside the game! This is a HUGE difference!

Not only that! but we shouldn’t overlook the fact that Rin_Vocaloid2 stopped playing Overwatch because of …let’s say … Ethics… but, thinks that not playing EVE Online because of … Ethics … is silly …

Let’s also note it’s always worse when it’s a Blizzard game that has a negative while at the same time when other games, such as EVE Online have even worse negatives, those negatives are completely ignored!

I heard the Mittani sleeps in Napoleon pajamas. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The guy failed at the game by his own admission and now he’s just externalising blame because that’s easier for weak people to blame others, than accept their own short comings.

Having failed, it’s the fault of the community and of CCP, because there is no way he was bad. It was a cheating player base, an unfair set of rule, tricks by CCP to represent something that it wasn’t, etc.

Unfortunately even his trolling is bad. If he was a KenM quality troll it would be good, but he’s just a normal, garden variety troll. Nothing special at all.

3 Likes

Hardly.
Nothing of the sort was proven.

5 Likes

EVE players say this so much … it’s like a broken record!
It’s like you use this instead of Periods!
I bet when you here of automobile proving grounds, you say, “Its Automobile Opinion grounds!”
When someone says; It’s 80 proof! you correct them and say: “It’s 80 Opinion.”

And I guarantee that you don’t know and did NOT read the set of posts that I am referring to.
You heard the word “Proven” and squawk “It’s Opinion. It’s Opinion. Squawk! It’s Opinion.”

Well, if you ONLY run missions the entire time in Eve, that’s true.

Firstly - hear, it’s.
Secondly - your definition of the word proven appears to substantially differ from that of everybody else.

In short I suggest that you:
A: Stop acting like a self important arse.
B: Apologise to your English teacher.

6 Likes

You guys are really taking this, “trying to get this thread closed” thing to Eleven.

I was very impressed by this AD! And, I am tempted to check out the game. However, and unfortunately for me, I once played EVE Online and it was such a horrendously awful experience it’ll be a long time before I go near anything that calls itself a “Sandbox” again. :expressionless:

I have “quit” EVE multiple times for the same reason, only to come back after an attitude adjustment. The first disappointment was the dominance of NBSI over NRDS in null sec, then the over-use of war decs against new player corps, then CCP’s general tolerance (encouragement?) of player scams that rely on UI bugs or deficiencies.

While I still dislike all of those factors, the positive aspects of EVE remain. There are plenty of players, even veterans, who deal honestly and leave newbies and miners alone most of the time. Also, EVE still has the most advanced, deeply player-driven economy of any multiplayer game, and allows players the greatest influence in shaping the game universe. To me those last two are what “sandbox” is really all about.

Please elaborate. I recently returned to EVE as an alpha and have not found hi-sec to be dangerous at all. I have not ventured beyond it because of my not-very-fun experiences in 0.0 during my last go-round in the game.

Highly volatile depending on your general savvy at avoiding being stupid with value versus tank, not leaving NPC corps or defaulting back to one in the case of wardec, and diligence with avoiding shortcuts like auto-pilot.

Basically if you aren’t stupid and lazy the rate at which you lose ships is certainly low in high-sec. But its not a guaranteed thing. You always can just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Well there is nothing worthwhile…so yeah.

This has been shown several times over the last few years by comparing threads from the old forums to the new ones and from older players trying the NPE with new alts and comparing their experiences from back then and now.

Giving an open mind it’s pretty easy to see the differences, but It doesn’t matter. Those who are against recognizing the difference will never admit to it unless you take the time to post specific examples, and then they will either change their tune for a short time, or simply ignore what you posted, then wait a bit and bring up the same arguments they were using before in other threads.

They say history repeats itself every few generations, well at times it seems these forums repeat themselves two or three times a year.

Like a lot of things these days it seems to be more about what you can get others to believe to suit your own interests more than what is. -I know that will get thrown back in my face, no worries. :slight_smile:

I wish to have some constellation that is truely safe from ganking, I worked up really hard for the shipment and was ganked and stole. Though I’m whining is true, but losing half a month of game time saving goods for sale and lose in a brink is not favorable for most of the players. I got no problem with PVP and let them fight in low sec and null sec, please separate the high sec for safe zone lover.

How about you let the game be itself, hmm?

If you don’t like the way it’s setup, then leave. Don’t log back in and at the same time let your Omega account go into Alpha. I hear Star Citizen is still in development. Or perhaps you want to play a game that’s actually finished like Elite Dangerous.

Just like you, I have already made up my mind. I will continue to play Eve Online until the hamsters finally call it quits. Obviously there is no point in stopping you if you ever plan on leaving the game. No, I don’t want your stuff or you ISK if you ever decide to leave. You can just biomass your character and all its assets for all I care.

Have you ever thought about moving the goods in smaller chunks to mitigate the loss? I have assets that took me years to accumulate yet I only lose a couple of weeks worth in rare occasions and by that time I will have accumulated more than enough ISK to insure the loss.

Blockade runner can’t be scanned

I agree that cargo scanning in general should include some risk to the ganker. Considering the ease of scan, copy, paste, instant value calculation with third party tools should mean there should be a lot more uncertainty in the scan results. There should be more risk to the ganker than just the known value they will lose.