The Ships You Fly

For the decade I’ve been a capsuleer, I’ve flown only ships of Amarr design.

My initial dismissal of foreign ships was based mostly on prejudices, I think. By now, I’ve flown alongside enough of them (and even put fittings for them together for fleetmates) to know my prior prejudice was dumb. Many ships of foreign design are also quite strong. I’m always happy to see a Huginn, Navy Osprey, or Magus in my fleet, for some examples.

These days, I want to believe my continuing to fly strictly Amarr ships is mostly out of comfort. After all, I’ve flown them, and only them for so long. Honestly, I could pilot a Navy Crucifier or Harbinger in my sleep.

The thought of flying foreign ships is uncomfortable. I feel like I’m being petty. Tactically choosing to learn to fly even just a few specific ships could greatly broaden my horizons and make it easier to fit in certain types of fleets where I currently have difficulty fitting in. It also helps in a pinch to be able to use whatever’s available. Logically, I should do this. But… I resist.

I know most capsuleers fly a wider variety of ships than I, so I want to hear thoughts and opinions:

Do you choose to only fly certain types of ships or avoid certain types of ships?

Do you prefer (for any reason) ships designed by your empire?

For those that fly different kinds of ships, was it a tough choice to branch out?

Thank you in advance for any and all constructive input.

6 Likes

Do you choose to only fly certain types of ships or avoid certain types of ships?

No. A ship is a tool. I fly what suits the purpose.

I do find myself a little more comfortable in a Typhoon than in a Megathron, say. I have no idea why this is, design psychology more close to my own or just preconceptions.

For those that fly different kinds of ships, was it a tough choice to branch out?

No. I flew Kestrels from something like week one. It never occurred to me that ship choice would be seen as a patriotic choice before running more into other capsuleers.

1 Like

Yes. I prefer Amarrian ships and Minmatar ships. I’ve also used ORE ships and, on rare occasion, some Gallente ships. But I don’t fly much else.

Yes. Amarr ships are what I’m most familiar with and have flown for most of my time as a capsuleer, and I find them able to fulfill most purposes I need. They are also, typically, more blessed in their designs, so they are also more preferable in that sense. Nowadays, I generally look towards Amarrian designs first, and if they can’t do what I need, then I go Minmatar. The only time I’ve used something other than those two is for solo armor repping, which needed an Oneiros.

No. There were plenty of ships I had wanted to fly but was unable due to PIE’s restrictions, and I was eager to try them once I had left. I have some small regret at no longer flying a “pure” lineup, but I’m not too bothered by it.

2 Likes

There are two types of ship - the Amarr Navy Slicer and everything else. I usually fly what suits the task I have at hand, but the Slicer… the design is as beautiful as a masterful painting, its engines as powerful as the winter gale atop the mountains, its weapons as devastating as a volcano… traits all blended together into a symphony of destruction.

2 Likes

For me, it’s more important not what ship you fly, but under which Banner.

However, I do tnd to avoid Minmatar and Gallente ships. Gallente… they’re just disgusting, and that’s enough said. When FC was asking us to fly them, I was feeling like drinking hard to wash away these awful feelings. Then there come Minmatar… with their “technology”, it always feel too awkward to me, nor I really want to expose my crewmembers to presence of fission reactors!

And yes, I do prefer actually ships designed by the State - to show off superiority of Caldari steel over, for example, same Gallente tech. It’s just awesome to feel that a kestrel almost always downs tristan, or that hookbill practically always downs a comet. I also like to fly Amarr ship to show respect to our allies.

Also as well as someone who flies different kinds of ships - yet, it was a tough choice. But the practical consideration has always takes the priority, so now you can find me quite often flying sansha ships or triglavian ones.

2 Likes

No, I’m with Ms. Rhiannon on this, a ship is a ship it’s like changing cloth to suit the weather

To be frank I found I don’t like the Amarrian ships that much (unless it’s of Khanid design, most be the missiles) yes they are pretty and all that, but I prefer the sleekness of Gallante more. The Ark though have a special place in my heart

Not at all

1 Like

Q. Do you choose to only fly certain types of ships or avoid certain types of ships?
A. Yes. I choose to only fly spaceships. I don’t even want to imagine what’d happen to the other kind out here. I mean, most of them don’t even have navigational shielding! Stupid water-boats.

Q. Do you prefer (for any reason) ships designed by your empire?
A. While we haven’t designed any hulls, I feel I cannot properly answer this question due to a conflict of interest, what with one of my jobs being to design the specific configurations of all the ships we use.

Q. For those that fly different kinds of ships, was it a tough choice to branch out?
A. See? This is another complication for those non-space ships! Masts! Your propulsion is basically branches with spider-webs holding the leaves on! It’s nuts! Even the Zephyr’s got thrusters!

1 Like

Well, Arrendis…

You really need to get over your issues and learn to fly boats.

Do you fly boats? Are they just Amarr boats? Don’t those sink with all that extra gold?

:heartbeat:

1 Like

In the past, I only flew drone boats out of the fact I really, really liked drones. Now, dainty little me can’t help but sit inside of brawlers and, as they say, ‘melt face,’ y’know? I’ve flown Gallente more than anything else because they tend to do these two things well, but I have a soft spot for the Cormorant and Ferox.

Oxymoronically, I also have an affinity for EWAR vessels. Every faction has their own tasty flavor and I have a horrible sweet tooth.

See above. Also, I like their designs. It just helps that their functionality fits, too.

2 Likes

We’re pretty similar. I like brawling, drones, and my tracking disruption. Obviously, my ‘face melting’ is most often done with lasers, though.

Thank you to everyone who has given constructive input so far.

1 Like

Kind of a loaded question, If I had my way any fleet I commanded or any fleet I flew in I would choose a wolf or firetail almost constantly, also harpies, slicers, crucifier Navy issues and comets. They simply fly how I prefer to fly. Realistically It would end horribly if I only flew them. If I’m in a fleet and not in control of it I tend to take on roles, such as Logistics anchor or ewar as it requires some level of understanding on how fleets operate and as such Id choose to fly whatever support role is called for/works best thus having a wide spectrum of ships that I’m comfortable flying is an advantage.

Due to familiarity, yes I would tend to prefer Fleet ships. The doctrines used in flying them are whet I learned in the RMS. Again, they revolve around my normal tactics I would employ.

Not at all, I started my combat career largely flying as tackle/scout. What better way to know your enemy and how to lock them down is there than litterally having the experience flying what your opponent is flying and having it second nature what you would do in their situation? I started flying all fairly early in my career, within my first year I could fly most up to cruiser. Note I was far from good at any aside from Republic fleet designs until a year or two after that.

1 Like

I don’t impose a hard restriction on myself, but I tend towards the smaller end of the spectrum. Nowadays I won’t undock a destroyer or larger ship without a good enough reason.

My empire is the empire of human. Yes, that includes you too, Trigloids. I guess. Now get your weird gross singularity engines out of my face. Ew!

Expanding your portfolio feels much more like natural progression to me. I’d say that, the ability to pilot a given faction’s ships offers a very unique opportunity to explore that faction’s culture and mindset.

1 Like

Honestly, I was in the same situation as you, flying only Amarrian hulls. However, I probably did that for the same reason a lot of ours fly them; it’s all I could fly. Despite my tenure as a capsuleer, my knowledge of anything involving ship systems was somewhat lacking. I know, I know… capsuleer school. You’d be amazed what you can get out of it without knowing, especially when all the family cares about is whether you can be killed while still producing legitimate issue. In any case, even now, I tend to favor Amarrian hulls. Even though I can fly other sorts of hulls, I’m still far less skilled with those hulls’ weapons, and I’m also not heavily familiar with shield doctrines.

As such, even if a particular hull is marginally better at something, my skillset still makes flying an Amarr hull advantageous. I’m rectifying that, but when you need to fly a tactical destroyer, and your skills with lasers and armor dwarf those of hybrid turrets and shields, you inject training for the Confessor. It’s simply how it works, and honestly, that’s probably the case for a lot of pilots (probably mostly newer than myself). Why train into a ship that needs you to likewise also train into new weapons and doctrines when you can train for a ship right now that your current skillset generally works in? At least until you’ve enough necessary skills that it makes sense to branch out.

This is why I tend to keep hulls on hand from other empires even if I can’t fly them, though. I know if someone is willing to fly with us, but they haven’t learned to branch out into our hulls, we do our best to make sure there’s something that works. A pilot 75% of your efficiency is still an available pilot, and if 75% is the best they can do and it requires a projectile-armed battleship, then it’s good to have the battleship on hand.

That said, given my experiences, I can say thank God for missiles and drones. If you train for those, then train up both defensive doctrines, there’s almost always something you can do for the overall doctrine in multiple empires’ hulls. The number of times we might not have been able to take someone save that we’ve been able to put them in a missile or drone boat…

2 Likes

I’ll fly ships from any race or faction as long as I like the design. Or at least don’t outright hate it.

If a ship is too ugly to look at, I usually don’t fly it.

My time, my eyes, my prerrogative.

3 Likes

The only ships I will avoid flying if I can are Amarrian ships. The sensation while in pod has never been a pleasant one and often makes me ill. That said, if specific needs require them, I do not have a hard limit.

I have a strong preference for Minmatar ships. I find they are the most versatile of the 4 empires. In the past I tended to fly Caldari ships as a close second to Minmatar, however lately I have begun training in to Gallente as well.

Not particularly.

1 Like

I don’t fly Sansha ships because I think they’re ass-ugly. But I’m not opposed to flying anything else.

Yes, because I find Minmatar ship designs highly relatable. They’re not the prettiest, but they work. They function like I expect a ship should.

It wasn’t a tough choice, but getting into the right mindset was weird, especially for Amarr ships. Running out of cap? Not reloading your turrets? Seemed nuts at first. So did the idea of having to fit for armor. Caldari ships actually came most naturally to me. Even Gallente ships, with their dependence on drones, feel a bit… less controlled?

But overall, it’s an excellent time investment. Some ships are just better for some things than others. It’s great to be able to fly whatever I need for whatever purpose I’m looking to serve.

You should totally learn new ships, Arsia. It’s tough to get over that first hill, but I know you’ve got the tenacity if you’ve got the will. And you won’t regret the effort at all, I promise you that.

1 Like

Well, as this thread likely gives away, that’s being considered.

I have some mental hurdles I’ll need to jump if I choose to try and do so. I figured hearing others’ thoughts may help me.

So once again, thank you, everyone, for the input.

2 Likes

I fly ships that I can be comfortable in my ability to get at least 90% of the ships full capabilities. I don’t only mean that I theoretically master the ship class and systems on that ship but also that I know how to employ the ship within the battlespace.

Oh how nice it must be to have a clear answer to “your empire.” I am most known for my alignment to the Amarr Empire from my own birth on Myyhera through my current notorious service in the Dam-Torsad Honor Guard and I do primarily fly amarr and allied ship designs. My true love is for beam laser equipped fast frigates. I admit however that the Navy Osprey has become my “heavier” option of choice, particularly when operating with no or limited support and against odds.

Initially yes. Deciding to take the time to learn new ships and systems was a difficult decision to take when I was still a fresh new capsuleer. I have always favored specialization over being incompetent at very many things. In hindsight, with over a decade in the pod, I am very happy at my decision.

1 Like