The solution to capitals

Capital sized rigs? :stuck_out_tongue:
In all seriousness though, capitals are so far from subcapitals because the % jump in EHP from battleship to carrier/dread is much more than all previous jumps before.
Using the “combat” variations
Frig → DD= 2x more base EHP
DD → CC= 2.5x more base EHP
CC → BC = 2x more base EHP
BC -:> BB = 1.5x more base EHP
BB → Dread = 12.25x more base EHP
BB → Carrier = 8x more base EHP

As you can see, there is a HUGE jump in base EHP between subcapitals and capitals. This basically stops subcaps fleets from engaging each other without feeding.
By nerfing capital weapon effectiveness (leaving HAWs alone of course), subcap fleets will be able to engage each other without having capitals dictate the outcome

In all seriousness, capitals are so far from subcapitals because CCP didn’t have a clear vision for what these ships should be when they exist in large numbers, when they put them in.

1 Like

They don’t need to do any of that and shouldn’t.

The fact is there is no content in Empire Space (high and low) that requires a capital ship.

If they simply remove them from low, everything else falls in place like it was meant to be.

Changing stats, adding weapons, then they have to start rebalancing other ships and content. Big Mess!

1 Like

Carriers and dreads could maybe stay in LS, but leave the supers in 0sec? Or at least allow only industrial and black ops cynos in LS?

The problem with caps in low is that none of the other AOE based systems are allowed. Where in null it all works together, in low it just doesn’t.

1 Like

I just remember reading in some other discussions on this topic that the triangle of battleship, carrier and dread do keep eachother in balance. The BS kills carriers the HAW dread the BS and the carrier from a distance the sieged dread. So then when the problem of dropping on any small cruiser gang is removed by disalowing these to use cynos in lowsec I thought it could be allright and fun then?

That’s a nice theory, except it doesn’t actually work.
The Carriers kill the BS.

I thought it is mainly the super carriers with the heavy fighters being over powered for battleships? Carriers I have seen dying to small gangs with BS CC BC quite a lot?.

Sure, A capital will die to a gang. Now put 100 Carriers vs 100 Battleships. The Battleships evaporate.

The carriers kill the dreads, too, because once the dread sieges, the carriers drop fighters, bounce to a perch, and kill the dread from 10,000km away.

For BS, the carriers just each use a single wing of sirens to hold points while they kill the gang from 10,000km away.

So your solution to Capitals being too OP is to make it harder for smaller ships to damage them?

Cue the obligatory “You did not think this through” video…

Snark aside, what you described (minus the insanity about smaller weapons doing less damage to larger ships) already exists.

Current tracking and signature radius mechanics generally ensure that smaller guns can hit larger targets and that larger guns have a harder time hitting smaller targets. Could those mechanics use a little tweaking? In the case of HAWs and fighters, sure. But there is absolutely no need to introduce complicated, arbitrary limitations on weapon damage when mechanics to do the same thing already exist.

1 Like

I think the primary concern is structures, in low most would just dock up as soon as the cyno opened. Or even when the recon ship arrives.

This constant bemoaning of caps is so tiresome. Capital vessels should be a goal, such as rorq or jf or carriers, then supers and dreads to a titan.
They are OP only as a matter of the perspective of a non cap pilot. People who regularly fly caps are all to aware of their limitations and weaknesses. This bullshyt about another nerf to caps is ridiculous. With the advent of triglavian gangs taking in caps with their insane damage application over time, and now there are no more slowcats or triage caps (faxes aside) their pilots have been getting the wind taken out of our sails on a regular basis. Given that they were introduced in 2008, and have now been a part of the game for well over a decade, it would have been reasonable for people to have gotten used to seeing them in fleets or ratting in the less lawful regions of new Eden and either jumped on board with them, or continued their sub cap journey.
What has actually happened however, is a load of hate from day one until now that they are op.
There are a lot of OP ships in Eve, but a decently fit super costs in excess of 20b - and creeping back up to historical pricings after the mineral changes - so there is a reason they are OP, they are damned expensive. Same goes for the carriers.
There are a good deal of people like myself in Eve that would label themselves primarily cap pilots, and would maybe start considering their future in the game should the nerfs keep coming.
As for these planned ehp nerfs, one of the only redeeming qualities a cap has against frigate and dessy fleets is it’s tank. Now we can’t field drones and fighters can’t really apply to small ships we find ourselves in trouble against small fast targets, and the only thing stopping us being another deathmail is having enough ehp to last before possible friendly reinforcements can arrive to save us. Lowering the ehp of these ships will negate their primary use, and i for one won’t be sticking around much to enjoy losing caps that have been periodically nerfed ehp-wise alone over the years, even more so with the damage projection of the trigs ships alongside the newfound confidence of inty pilots everywhere, who will now have nothing to fear when engaging a carrier and up.

See what happens to player base in the long term if this nonsense continues.

7o

2 Likes

Oh noes! You might quit? That is terrible news.

1 Like

Can a frigate kill a Battleship.
Can a frigate kill a Capital.
If the answer to these two questions assuming average fits is different then Capitals are OP. It’s that simple.

Solo, or in a fleet?

If you mean the test for whether something is OP is whether it can be killed by a solo frigate, I’d like to see the background for that being the basis for balance. There are a whole lot of things that would need balancing if that’s the benchmark to work from.

I’m assuming solo since he said “a frigate and a battleship…”.

Depending on the battleship in question and the frigate in question the answer can be either yes or no.

For the capital the answer is no. There is no frigate that can kill a capital, even if the frigate pilot wants to.

1 Like

Yes agreed.

And that was my key point.
Frigate vs Battleship the answer is indeed depends from my viewpoint. Which is mostly as it should be.