This game needs an instant replay feature

Quoting good information.

My reply included the assumption that this would bind Dev time, that I’d see much more necessary in other areas of the game.

In and by itself, I’m not against such a feature, although it would depend on the computing pressure it puts on the servers (who already struggle often enough) and wether or not this influences the client-side performance with the feature turned off (if it can be turned off).

None if done clientside

Minimal performance hit, all you’re doing is recording the traffic and logging it to a file, its no worse than running the likes of wireshark to copy the data in the first place, sure you could opt-in to the feature, the main work would involve creating a smaller standalone client that just loaded up replay data and used the already existing client cache to render it

1 Like

When I have pitched this idea in the past I always included streaming functionality as well. Ideally, the client to play recordings would also have the ability to receive streamed data from CCP. This would allow events like tournament matches to be watched live in this client, with full ability to manipulate the camera etc. I’ve often found myself forgetting tournament matches are just a video stream, and I try to adjust the camera at some point…

Not only would this allow a better viewing experience, it would also be much more efficient than a raw video stream. It decouples viewing quality (resolution etc.) from the amount of data streamed entirely. The streams would put load on the servers, but the load per streaming client would about the same as the amount of data sent to a regular game client (more if you include audio for commentators etc). The extra load could be avoided, to some extent, by limiting concurrent logins to the streaming client and regular game client.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.