Tourists vs. Residents, and the costs of playing EVE as Omega

In my region house rent goes for 100$ a month, three bedrooms.
Minimum wage is 2$ per hour…
Many expats to work for 4, 6 months, then come back and lives on that.
Of course many people owns their house, but the job market is
flooded with immigrants that work for 2$/h or less, so saving for buying
a house even if prices are low, its still a chimera…

I can work remotely speaking few languages as translator and dubber, and that
saves me, but I miss living abroad.

Still Summer is here, and I can go on pause for Eve, untill september, don’t need yearly subscription.

2 Likes

dude stop with the superior atitude
i play eve for 10 years
apple , netflix , uber , steam all get a piece of me
CCP don’t , not because i don’t like them , but because the price is not competitive
wow here is 6 bucks , 5 if the guy pay for 3 months at a time
activision is collecting our money, NOT CCP

Yeah, I was buying from Uk periodically, untill they moved out of the EU and border tax kicked back in…
I used to buy laptops and resell them, it is no more possible…

Honestly writing, for this statement to coincide with the truth, EVE online had to have:

• a high quality QA division working on the game all the time. Before anything hits the live server, it should be comprehensively and meticulously tested by skilled people;
  • solved fundamental problems with the game that have plagued it for a very long time (for the hundredth time: absurd complications with the “POS code”, questionable sense of maintaining COSMOS mission chains that are buggy, etc.);
  • radically different approach to the new client - NPE is a good step in this direction, but it’s not enough;
  • rework of outdated gameplay mechanics present in the game, which are so willingly used by various clever players to their advantage (war declarations, powerless faction police, ship bumping that does no damage to ships, etc.);
  • a clear roadmap, updated regularly, so that customers would know what the game’s development plans are and what to expect and when (although indicatively);
  • more responsible developers who, when faced with the reaction of the game’s community (which is often critical, true, but that doesn’t come out of nowhere), are able to behave in a mature way and discuss the issues raised in a sensible way. Players care about the quality of the gameplay, especially if they are paying real money to maintain it.

And you could probably find a few other things too. Probably many will think this is unrealistic and wishful thinking? Well, let me just say this: as a long-time fan and player of games from Paradox Interactive studio (mainly Europa Universalis & Hearts of Iron series + Stellaris) I’ve had the opportunity to find out many times that it’s possible. The Swedish publisher cares about the quality of its games, listens to feedback from its players and constantly improves its products to meet customer expectations. In return it prices its games rather high, but at least people know what they are paying for, so they pay hard cash for games and add-ons from Paradox.

CCP could learn a thing or two from them, seriously.

2 Likes

As far as I could tell CCP have been developing back end and trying to fix spagetti code for the last 2 years (I gather this logic by what they talk about with direct x and all the old direct x being completely rewritten also the new npe node based system which would be multitudes faster for developing missions or something), if we are lucky that ■■■■ is nearly done and they can finally produce content that we so desperately want.

Now if only CCP can put an AI in charge of ship balance and make constant little tweaks tiny like 0.5% to 1 stat and run analytics and publish it somewhere as tiny patches for us to see lol (I’m kidding obviously that ■■■■ is like 5 to 10 years away for mmo’s)

Here is the misunderstanding, that is MORE money for CCP, as someone paid for those PLEX a lot more then an equivalent subscription costs (50% more).

I can totally see why CCP is not lowering the subscription for other regions. Just look at how many techies are misusing those lower prices with VPNs etc. Then we have the fact that those that Plex their accounts due to the relative high subscription price, actually gives CCP way more revenue then a regularly priced subscription. So if they half the subscription price, and they spend a significant amount of time on making sure there is no misuse, you suddenly earn CCP only a third of what they made previously of you…

See it this way, CCP is bringing RL monetary equality to the world by having the RL rich pay for you to play the game. :wink:

A couple of reasons:
#1 Fake news needs to be fought everywhere, even in EVE apparently! :face_vomiting:
#2 There’s currently running a promotion that could make it way more affordable for those people who have less money or want to spend it more wisely to play EVE. Hopefully some can take advantage of it like I did.
#3 I hope that shedding some light on the ‘actual’ cost of EVE either gives a break to the circle jerk that’s been going on for months or actually giving folks actual facts (with math) that can be used in arguments that seem to keep repeating. But I’m probably dreaming, when ever has science ever had any impact on the uneducated masses… :wink:

1 Like

Interesting let me run through the logic quick, so I stop paying subscription and I buy plex instead and if there is people like me that swap to this method then the demand for plex increases increasing the price which gets more people to buy plex. Ok I see your point.

Thanks btw now I wont feel bad about plexing as it is still supporting CCP.

If you’re playing Omega, CCP is getting it’s money. If you pay for it with PLEX, CCP is getting 50% more money from someone then paying for Omega via subscription. If they offer you a subscription at a third of the regular price, they loose over three quarters of the revenue you ‘consume’ with paying for Omega with isk. If there is less demand for Plex, CCP will sell less.

Are you playing WoW instead of EVE? If so, what are you doing here? Comparing WoW with EVE is comparing apples with oranges.

3 Likes

i said that EVERY subscription service in my region is , 3, 4 ,5 MAX 6 dollars ,no one will pay 20
other companies can do but not ccp
i would pay max 4/5 for EVE, because its a good value IMO

but
ok
ty for paying eve for me dad

Its a choice. I like Eve, love the art, design and the backstory. I think the economy is more broken then Humpty Dumpty but making mega buckets of isk is easy. It just doesn’t offer the playstyle I want, in fact I’m moving away from games with ‘dailies’ completely because I don’t have time.

2 Likes

Have you not been reading? At all? No one should be paying 20. You can pay 11.25 right now. That’s the whole point of the thread. Sure, it’s still almost twice as expensive then 6 for a month of WoW. But if you can’t afford it, you shouldn’t buy it. That isn’t just true for someone in another region, it is true in my own region and in the past also for myself. Even at the old prices I’ve not always been in the position to pay for EVE with RL money. That doesn’t mean that the price should be adjusted down so I or everyone else can pay for it. Heck, Alpha accounts are already a huge step in that regards. Everyone CAN play EVE!

I’m curious, are the computers you play on also significantly cheaper then here? I doubt it or you would not be able to buy any as there would be non left (al sold to other regions).

Luckily dailies are not a big deal in eve they only offer small rewards which is nice as a way for very active new players to catch up a lil quicker. But I hope this new system they are making isn’t going heavily into dailies as it kind of sounds like it is from fan fest. If they do I hope its weeklies and not dailies.

And the log in thing is like 2 minutes so I dont mind too much.

Then it doesn’t really matter what price a subscription is. EVE isn’t offering the gameplay you’re looking for, has it ever? Has EVE changed or have you changed? From my own experience, it’s generally the later. With the last two years I’ve had significantly more time, due to working from home and not spending 2-4 hrs per day in public transport. Even now, working from home has become way more mainstream (but even before the last two years I was working more and more from home)…

“If you don’t like it then maybe EVE just isn’t for you” is a phrase you see a lot (though it was edited out of a post above). You even see it from CCP. And apparently it’s true:

EVE Online May 2022 Pop

I notice that, for instance, even EVE’s current peak numbers doesn’t reach the lowest point ever that they reached pre-Alpha, only a little over 5 years ago (the 30k line).

Apparently CCP’s changes are so great, and the game is so improved, and the new player turnover is going so well, that people are learning “EVE just isn’t for them” at the fastest rate ever.

Success, I guess?

3 Likes

the computer is double the price
because of ludicrous taxes to “protect” the inexistent national industry , since the only thing we sell is food, iron and jet planes

that said the cost of living here is WAAAAY lower than in US
we earn less but we pay less for most of the things , rent , food , internet , transport , education etc
im a grown up man , i have a house , a car , i even reproduced …

the point is not if I will pay of how much I would pay , but if CCP wants money from my compatriots that play A LOT of internet games , not so much eve because its to expensive compared to all other entertainment options here

He makes a good point thou man if they lower the price for us someone in the us will use a vpn to pretend they are in our country then make 50 alt’s subscribe with the lower monthly fees train them for 2 years with a special as well to lower it further then extract a crap ton of skill injectors and mess up isk inflation.

The counter to this is track those players with 50 player skill farm and if they are abusing the system ban them xD.

Probably cheaper for us to just plex time efficiency wise. I already know you are a high skill pilot so in-game money is probably easy for you.

people think that VPNs are magic hacker l33t ■■■■
there is so much internet bread crumbs leading to you
i doubt one can pay the wrong price and train for years without being banned

1 Like

I don’t have enough knowledge to know that :smiley: but you are probably right.

Current promotions are closer to what the actual price of the item is worth prior markups. I think this is something you left out where as its normal that corporations mark items up enough to always allow themselves wiggle down room.

This means they still profit quit a bit even after giving someone “15% discount”. So really all your doing now is paying CCP a discounted rate at the markup rate. Effectively you gained nothing and lost more cash. Not to mention if you pay in euro you lose more then the Americans in terms of cash conversion who will lose another 2-3bucks.

If i had to guess CCP liked the money they made during COVID and dont wanna lose those few extra million they are set to lose due to the player base going back down. So how to do that hike it up and squeeze more from less.

Eve has changed. I got fed up with making plans and having CCP screw them up because of their bad decisions. I’ve seen players under 12 months complaining of the same thing. Its not worth playing anymore.

1 Like