Tractor Beams only work on Containers, but I think it would be very fun and immersive if they could also affect the velocity and trajectory of live ships.
If only Tech 2 Tractor Beams could do it, then Alpha abuse is not possible.
You don’t want us to drag a ship to another system, as that would be ‘flying’ more than one ship at a time.
To render that prospect impractical, or at least highly situational, add Diminishing Returns:
- A ship using Tractor Beam on another Ship can only do so for up to 60 seconds, until a cooldown blocks further effect.
- This effect could be progressively diminishing
- The cooldown ensures that if players want to ‘fly’ an extra ship, they would have to spend a lot of actual time and coordination in order to achieve that goal.
- If you use Distance Traveled while under the effects of Tractor Beam, instead of just the duration affected, it would mean that trying to fly away from a tractor beam at a high speed would decrease the time to release from its effects. (Sounds like good fun to me)
- Ship Mass vs Ship Mass could also have a an effect, though there is a lot to consider regarding Biggest vs Smallest ships.
Furthermore, the ship that is being tractored can also have Diminishing Returns.
- After reaching 300 seconds (or kilometers) of Tractor effects, a cooldown blocks further effect for a long while.
Thank you for your time.