Trying to build a corp blue print library

@Agent_Blackbear

When using a BPO, it returns to the hangar it started in.

When copying, the copies go to the “output” hangar, and the BPO returns to the “input” hangar.

Note that you don’t need ‘take’ on a hangar to use a BPO, just ‘view’. So you don’t have to lockdown BPO. Lockdown mainly protects BPOs from theft by the CEO and directors.

If you need directors for whatever reason, consider a ‘virtual’ director instead. This is a title that has all roles but is NOT a director! Still, be stingy when handing-out this title and especially the role of director! Only give it to people you’d let hold your wallet in real-life!

On the topic of roles: ALWAYS ASSIGN TITLES AND NEVER ROLES! It is so much harder to track roles that are individually assigned. Titles appear on every character’s ‘Info’.

I use titles like ‘Recruit’ for those I don’t trust at all (minimum access), ‘Member’ for the average member (access to most things), ‘Industrialist’ for those needing industry access, ‘Banker’ for those needing corp wallet access, and ‘Director’ for virtual directors. Some people prefer to use military ranks (Private, Corporal, Sergeant, etc.) for naming their titles, but I personally prefer descriptive titles so I don’t forget what roles the title grants.

The title of ‘Diplomat’ should have no roles assigned. This title should be assigned to anyone you allow to negotiate on behalf of the corp, and their name(s) should be listed in the corporate info for others to see.

4 Likes

I’m a bit curious about this as a topic because I’m a new’ish CEO and we have quite a few BPOs.

My stratergy was going to be to make copies for people as and when they need them but to restrict access to the BPOs to only the most trusted people.

Is there a downside to this as an approach?

Unless these are your cousins, or you went to school with these people IRL, trusting anybody in Eve is a big downside.

1 Like

I was thinking along those lines already @Xeux for what it’s worth, but its a good point well made.

I happily and generously distribute copies to corpies and friends that want them. I recommend this. The current BPO sharing mechanics are tedious (lockdown) and have a hangar item-count limit.

The one person I trusted with access to my BPOs has a reputation as one of the most trusted people in Eve, plus he can afford to buy my entire BPO collection several times over. I was introduced to him through a real-life friend that got to know him back in 2003, the day Eve opened.

For example, one Christmas he gave me a Rhea, and recently has given me his Fortizar BPO and offered me two titan BPOs. We’ve never met face-to-face, but I do also play other online games with him and his wife.

So, ya, pick carefully who you chose to trust in Eve. You often don’t get an ‘undo’.

1 Like

You’re probably being facetious but I’ve got friends in Eve that I talk to more than any cousins or old schoolmates in my advanced age :laughing:

2 Likes

I have met plenty of nice people in Eve. Some fraction of those people would steal everything you have (in game). The scammer / corp looter is an almost-uniquely Eve occupation, and it attracts a lot of players that do not have a real-life outlet for those urges - even other MMOs do not provide an outlet because the gamemakers do not consider it a worthwhile playstyle.

burn single-run copies, put those in the freeebies bin.

Job’s a good 'un.

so what I ended up doing is, I renamed a corp hangar BPO and gave everyone read access, I renamed another hangar “shared hangar” and gave everyone read and take access

this allowed anyone in the corp to copy bpos into the shared hangar and just take them

its not perfect as anyone can just steal your bpcs you make but you dont lose anything other then copy times

2 Likes

We had shared access hanger “Members Jobs” and people had own cans. But the mechanism is really stuffed. Some stuff was stolen from members cans. So changed it only long-standing members got access. Everybody else got to make BPC.

Not surprising, as I fully explained above NEVER USE CONTAINERS!

In order to open a container, you must have the role to take the container, which defeats any security.

Apparently this legacy role functionality has finally been corrected.

Quick question: Can the looter get anything out of the container by taking it?
If not, the motivation would be much more lower I suppose
(and yes, why risk it, you would ask, I’m just asking out of curiousity)
BTW is all this still true with the “Container take” role in this article?

And this reminded me that some corps seems to be still using containers
Oof, gotta talk to them

Yes.

Even a locked secure container can repackaged (eventually), and the contents fall out.

The ‘Container Take’ role is required to open any container, secure or not.

many, MANY people have tried this and just wound up having their BPOs stolen.
Make copies and have them available for your corpmates. Keep originals under lock and key.

ive done it successfully now, all bpos are in a public hangar, all locked. people are given read access only to that hangar.

they can freely make copies of the bpos into another hangar they can take and read from.

a thief at best can only get away with blue print copies , but now i have 8b worth of blue prints that all my rookies can make copies of freely / willy nilly

they just need to not steal the copies from each other, on a smaller scan that doesnt happen and hasn’t been a big deal.

3 Likes

literally what I wrote :

Okay, it looks like CCP has finally changed roles. I just tested with an alt (even an alpha will do) … which is what you should always do before handing-out roles to anyone.

‘Take’ is now required to OPEN containers, and it doesn’t allow the removal of containers.

I’ll edit my previous posts. Apologies for my outdated info.

CCP may change that down the road, if they decide they want to see more corp theft.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.