Trying to fit a Rattlesnake for L4

Why are you running a active tank and a passive tank besides eachother. Those slots should be used for application mods anyways, same goes for rigs.

Better of using something in the lines of this, where you are actually applying DPS:

[Rattlesnake, Rattlesnake]
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Federation Navy Drone Damage Amplifier
Federation Navy Drone Damage Amplifier
Damage Control II
Co-Processor II

Large Micro Jump Drive
500MN Microwarpdrive II
Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Drone Navigation Computer II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Warhead Flare Catalyst II
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Drone Speed Augmentor II

Gecko x1

Only added 1 drone for reference.

[Rattlesnake, Rattlesnake]
Ballistic Control System II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Micro Jump Drive
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Optimal Range Script
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Optimal Range Script
Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script
Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Core Defense Field Purger II

Warden II x2

This is the Fit I’d use for lvl 4 use the MJD to get range and pewpew

Rigs are wasted on this fit. ^^^ above

Active tanking allows for more damage. MJD is a pain in the butt and makes you far less efficient.

My fit below, works better with cruise missiles, but this is for an alt who doesn’t have the skills.

[Rattlesnake, Python]

Capacitor Flux Coil II

Gist C-Type Large Shield Booster
Gist C-Type 500MN Microwarpdrive
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Shield Boost Amplifier II
EM Ward Field II

Drone Link Augmentor II
Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Heavy Missile

Large Capacitor Control Circuit II
Large Capacitor Control Circuit II
Large Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Warrior II x5
Gecko x2
Garde II x2

Re: the last two fits linked.

The first one, posted by Angelina Is devotes 5 slots to defence; the second one posted by Earnest Emu devotes 10 slots to defence. So when Earnest Emu says “rigs are wasted on the fit above,” you should really pause and think about that.

Furthermore, I wonder how are rigs wasted? In the first fit, the rigs go directly towards maintaining your shields through passive regeneration. In the second fit, 2 of the rigs go towards ensuring that you have enough cap to power a shield booster when/if needed.

Obviously I endorse the fit posted by Angelina Is, with a caveat or two.

First, I would lose the MJD and go with an AB or MWD. The AB/MWD helps you burn to gates. What I found was that, without a missile range bonus (or not much of one, I can’t remember), and using Sentries, you may end up outside of your targeting and sentry/missile range with a MJD. She’s a slow burn back into your distance range.

Further, I found myself fighting Guristas, and I got eaten alive by a mission when I drew full aggro, while I was distance tanking (note: very few defence mods). I had to warp out and in a couple of times, which forced me to rethink the distance-tanking RS. Now, against other factions, I was distance tanking no problem, but I was running Caldari Navy missions so Guristas were a common foe. Guristas have the range (At one point I was 200km away and still taking too much dmg).

Other than that, Angelina’s fit emphasises application, which is exactly what you need to do with a BS fighting L4s. Enemy BSes exist, but they do not make up the bulk of your enemies.

The other think I like about the fit is that, for those missions where you need more tank and less application, you can drop a Missile Guidance Computer and add another Shield Extender (increasing HP is good for passive tank because the shields regenerate based on a percentage of your HP… or something like that; can’t remember the nuance but if you have higher HP, your shields regen faster), and drop the other Missile Guidance computer for a shield hardener. If that’s not enough tank either, you can start dropping your lows for Shield Power Relays. The minimum tanked RS that I used looked like this:

[Rattlesnake]
[Low Slots]

[Mid Slots]
500mn Microwarpdrive
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Tracking Script
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Tracking Script
Adaptive Invulnerability Field (Swap for mission-specific if facing EM dmg)
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

[High Slots]
Cruise Missile Launcher II
Drone Link Augmentor II

[Rigs]

Gecko
2 mission-specific Sentries
Full flight of Light Scout Drones
Full Flight of Medium Scout Drones (I think there’s enough room)

If I needed more tank, I would drop alternating low slot damage modifiers; I would drop first a Ballistic Control and plug in a Shield Power Relay; then I would drop a Drone Damage Amplifier for another Shield Power Relay… honestly this was all I ever had to do, but if you want to be safer, keep going with that pattern.

Remember, it’s a drone boat with missiles and a good shield recharge rate; play to those strengths. It’s not a Raven

Strategy with this boat was as follows: cruise missiles against the BSes and Sentries (first, then if they get too close, lights or gecko) against everything else. If the bses burned up quick, then I would start hitting the larger ships with the missiles and continue ripping through the smaller targets with drones. Certain sentries have a shorter range and better tracking; others have a longer range and slower tracking. Know your drones and your enemy.

1 Like

Good write up. I would ditch the mediums and add another light Lance and a Lance of salvage drones. The mediums just seem not to work as well as I like with a Rattlesnake and I like having another Lance of lights available if they get too extended and targeted. The salvage drones are just because I hate to leave anything on the field, though with a Rattlesnake’s small cargo Bay, you are bound to leave stuff behind.

1 Like

Purges are for shield recharge as you say, the MJD is to jump out of range and NOT get hit so shield recharge is irrelevant. Go on the test server and try them both in a few missions and then come back and endorse or comment.
Your fit I am not convinced will be great. but haven’t tried it. But you have MWD so you going to brawl, and well your tank I don’t think will hold, unless as you say you change out damage mods… but then you do less damage.
Test server is there for a reason, best is to try them and see what suites you.

There is no way you could possibly be more wrong than you are with this statement.
I suggest you study the differences between a passive shield tank (Angelina’s fit) and an active shield tank (your fit). It is easy to determine what type of fit you are looking at simply by looking for the presence of a shield booster, if there is one the fit is active, if not then it is passive. Angelina’s fit above is passive (no booster), and on a passive fit purgers are an excellent (some say they are a required) choice, why? Glad you asked because we can further your EvE education on passive fits.

Core Defense Field Purgers = Shield Booster.
No that is not some crazy math formula it is the simplest way to express that in a passive fit the purgers perform the same function as the shield booster in an active fit.

Shield Recharger = Shield Booster.
In a passive fit the mid slot shield recharger performs the same function as the shield booster. The answer is no, in my experience the mid slot rechargers do not give you enough boost to recharge rate to allow you to replace the purgers. And in many fits the mids are needed for something else so using them for rechargers would not be an option.

Shield Extenders = Shield Boost Amplifier.
In a passive fit the extenders serve the same function as the boost amp in your active fit.

A related note, a combination of shield extenders and shield rechargers is often more effective than either module separately so looking at Angelina’s fit I would simply suggest using a fit tool and replacing one or both of the extenders with rechargers to see how it affected the tank.

Here is another misunderstanding.
The problem with the whole “getting out of range” angle is that it often takes you out of your targeting range as well. Without a sensor booster to increase targeting range the Rattle is restricted to 97k targeting range and many of the NPC encountered in missions can easily shoot farther than that so getting out of range is not always possible.

How far your drones can shoot is another problem here. Garde are worthless at ranges much beyond beyond 40,000 meters so using the MJD essentially means that your Garde are wasted space in your drones bay. Using the MJD your mediums are not likely to survive the long runs to your targets so essentially they are wasted space as well.

Don’t need to go onto the test server to try these I have been flying Rattles in level 4 missions for more than 6 years and I have flown fits virtually identical to yours as well as the one posted by Angelina.

The fits posted by Angelina and by Corporal Punishment are solid fits, I have flown similar ships myself on many occasions. In fact see the fit below this is one myself and several of my real life friends and corp mates love to fly, it is set up specifically for up close smash mouth style of missions. Yes some of us use cruise while others change to some variation of the standard heavy missiles, we even have a few that prefer torps.

[Rattlesnake, Smash Face Tech 2]

Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II
Large Shield Extender II
EM Ward Field II

Large Remote Armor Repairer II

Empty rig - Some use a cap control, some fit a damage or application rig, most of us fit a third purger.

Drones to suit your taste here is a common drone load out.
Hobs, Hammers and Garde are in for every mission.
Yes some change the Garde for standard heavy drones or Gecko, some of us prefer the Garde because they offer a better combination of up close and mid-range damage abilities.
Bouncers are changed out for mission specific based on damage type or range needs.
Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Garde II x2
Bouncer II x2

@Earnest_Emu, Not sure if you’re talking to me or to Angelina Is or… to both of us?

Anyways, you should read my entire post before commenting because a lot of your assumptions are addressed in full detail.

I will say this however: you’re right about the ship looking like a brawler, but as with most fits that seek to maximise damage output and application (though this fit could shed some tank, I will admit), manage aggro

I couldn’t remember what I had in the drone bay so I finally checked. Instead of the mediums, I had a flight of ECM drones; I remember now, in case of gankers. Never had to use them however, and you’re right: a second flight of lights would definitely be nice when those Elite Frigs start mashing through them

just drop a bcu for a signal amplifier and that gives you the range you need to hit anything

True, but then that reduces the DPS from my missiles, and puts me out of range for my T2 Sentries if I go too far away. It also will not put me outside there range of Guristas.

1 Like

The reason for a MJD is to get gar away from the Rats, so that you can snipe the sig bloomed mwding frigs and cruisers, then go for the BS. And further the MJD is there, so that you can triangle the gate in a Mission, 1 jump to get 100km off the gate, the second to get back to it

im not sure if you can get outside of guristas range

1 Like

I think you have to be out past 150km - which is well beyond effective drone range for the Rattlesnake. Better to just pad your kinetic resistance than gimping your fit.

[Rattlesnake, Reign of Destruction]
Caldari Navy Shield Power Relay

Pithum A-Type EM Ward Amplifier
Pithum A-Type EM Ward Amplifier
Pithum A-Type Thermal Dissipation Amplifier
Thermal Dissipation Amplifier II
Pithum A-Type Kinetic Deflection Amplifier
Pithum A-Type Explosive Deflection Amplifier
Caldari Navy Large Shield Extender

Caldari Navy Cruise Missile Launcher
Drone Link Augmentor II

Gecko x2
Caldari Navy Vespa x4
Salvage Drone I x5

Scourge Auto-Targeting Cruise Missile I x3045
Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile x4403
Nanite Repair Paste x817

Minimum Shield Resistance: 79,06%
Shield Capacity: 19.956,25
Shield Recharge Time (sec.): 125,99

Shield Recharge Amount / Sec (avg).: 158,40
Shield Recharge Amount / Sec (max).: 395,99
Shield Effective HP: 95.302,05

Maximum Possible Damage/Sec. Tanking: 1.891,07

Thats a fit for tanking everything at once in every Lvl4 mission and not going below 75% shields, also usable for soloing Incursions (scout sites) with shields stable at 50-60%.
900 DPS with Gecko and can be improved by replacing the Shield Power Relays by as much Drone or Missile buffs as you like (but keep in mind, tank goes down)

If you cant afford the Resistance Amplifiers, T2 versions are enough for Lvl 4 missions, but not recommended for Incursions…
Well, Incursions is just for those who like a challenge in soloing… nothing worth for ISK, I only mention it, so that you get a clue how good this fit tanks a whole scout site incoming on you.

If you like to spend 38b more, this can be improved to a combined Shield Booster/Hardener/Passive tank, tanking 3320 damage per second. But thats more like a “what costs the world / fun”-fit :joy:

4 Likes

There’s no bonus for the Vespas so I can’t see why you would run those. Without any damage application modules I’d run rapids instead of cruise. There’s also a lot more bling on this fit than it needs, and you can probably come close to the same performance with some T2 modules while saving a few hundred million ISK.

As I already said, it can be adjusted to the needs of someone else. Just my fit to cut through any kind of mission. Its a multi-use fit, impossible to get shredded in mission, still fast enough to get through all the scrapmetall that is incoming in every mission.

And in case of - dont know if still existing - a suicide gang incoming to make their day, they will notice, that CONCORDE is faster there, than this ship is going down.

…and…

I always like to have the best possible tank available - dosnt matter how much it will cost

That’s fine - but why make yourself a gank magnet when you can easily run some T2 shield power relays, Pithum C-Types and T2 launchers?