Trying to fit a Rattlesnake for L4

I’m currently running L3’s for ISK and LP (which I’ve been converting to ISK) in a Gila.

I’m looking to eventually step up to the Rattlesnake.

This fit is what I can currently do with my skills.
The fitting tool shows 835dps and 116,289 EHP.

Before I even undock this ship, what specific skills would you suggest that I should be working on to improve the fit.
Also, not having run L4’s, just read the descriptions from Eve-Survival, I’m not sure whether to emphasize dps or ehp.

I don’t have any Sentry Drone experience yet either. Thanks for your input.
[Rattlesnake, Simulated Rattlesnake]

Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Cap Battery II
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II
100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Phased Scoped Target Painter

‘Arbalest’ Cruise Launcher I
’Arbalest’ Cruise Launcher I
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Core Defense Field Extender I
Large Core Defense Field Purger I
Large Core Defense Field Purger I

Caldari Navy Wasp x3

Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile x115

You should work on increasing dps so that you fall in the 1200+dps Range. Work on T2 launchers,sentry drones, and you could use a Gecko as your heavy. Your tank is more than fine (depending on npc faced). Since you are just starting level4s, read each EVE survival mission synopsis carefully. Don’the be afraid to warp out and repair. Once you have run a couple of hundred missions you may be able to drop your guard a bit, but until then don’t get lazy.

2 Likes

Forget the AB in missions and just use an Large Micro Jump Drive. Neither MWD nor AB will save you if you trigger a wrong spawn or too many rats gang up on you and overwhelm your recharge (or shield boosting amount). With the MJD, you just blink 100 km away from them and keep shooting or warp to station.

It even works well in multistage missions with gates: You MJD to a spot somewhere 100 km around the next gate, shoot things while waiting for the cooldown and MJD back to the next gate when a couple of NPCs of the pocket are left to wear down the cooldown again.

3 Likes

I would say dont mix the field extender rigs/field purgers
On a snake go all 3 T2 versions, passive rattler is ballzout
3x T2 Core Defense Field Purgers

Drone flavour based on mission profile; Guristas Wasps, Angels Berserkers etc, Geckos are great, but super expensive.

Your lows are good, drop the cap battery for a drone nav computer. Train yourself to t2 heavies and sentries, as well as t2 rapid heavy missiles. Cruise is ok, but you get better application from rapid heavies.

AB/MJD depending on mission, yeah read the eve survival guiodes

1 Like

+1

Battery does not really have a place on a passive tanked ship. You could pop a MJD in there and go AB+ MJD or as mentioned more application. (I would go MJD for awhile until you get to know LVl4s)

1 Like

my advice is forget the rs for now
keep skilling your gila until you can run level 4s with your gila
and then keep skilling it till its good
and then train the skills to fit your rs properly

passive gila can run level 4s like this
[Gila, passive omni]
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Light Missile
[empty high slot]

Medium Core Defense Field Purger II

Hammerhead II x2

and active can look like this
this is omnitank so do what you want with the tank

[Gila, active omni]

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Pithum A-Type Medium Shield Booster
Dread Guristas Shield Boost Amplifier
Dread Guristas Shield Boost Amplifier
Thukker Large Cap Battery

[empty high slot]

Medium Core Defense Operational Solidifier II
Medium Core Defense Operational Solidifier II
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Hammerhead II x2

the second one is much better and will serve you better than a badly tanked rs

3 Likes

This is my basic rattlesnake setup. It doesn’t have a lot of tank, but it should be able to clear the NPCs fast enough it doesn’t become too much of an issue. You can also always swap to NPC specific hardeners and get a nice tank boost. Or swap to a larger booster and then drop a damage mod for a cap injector. Most of the time When I fly it I use auto targeting missiles and let those + drones do all the work.

I don’t really like an MJD on a rattler, puts you a bit too far out to really apply damage. That said it might be worthwhile to use one as you start out just so you can MJD to safety if you ever make an aggro mistake. Or if you want to start off with range tanking.

Might also be worth it to try a RHML setup, but I haven’t really tested that.

[Rattlesnake, DPS T2]

Pithum C-Type Medium Shield Booster
100MN Afterburner II
Republic Fleet Target Painter
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Drone Control Range Augmentor II
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Gecko x1
Garde II x2
Curator II x2
Warden II x2

2 Likes

I’ll join JC Mieyli in recommending you stay with the Gila and upgrade your skills for that ship. It’s perfectly capable of running level 4 missions and, in my experience, a lot more fun to fly. A general “rule of thumb” for running level 4 missions comfortably is that your Gank + Tank (as measured by EFT) should equal or exceed 1000. The Gila fit I use can tank 253 dps and gank 783 dps.

[Gila, Gila]
Damage Control II

Large Shield Extender II
10MN Afterburner II
Large Shield Extender II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Tracking Speed Script

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Light Missile
[empty high slot]

‘Augmented’ Hammerhead x2

The augmented medium drones do most of the work and I find the tracking script makes a significant difference in how fast they can kill frigates. Speed is an important part of your tank - keep moving with the AB and battleships will have trouble hitting you.

The augmented drones aren’t outrageously expensive - about 33 million for hammerheads in Jita - but they hit harder and have a much stronger tank than T2, This is amplified by the Gila hull bonus.

You can trade the invulnerability fields for mission specific hardeners and Republic Fleet Large Shield Extenders will significantly reduce your signature for 40 million each.

1 Like

Ignore EHP for a high sec mission build it is a worthless stat, measure your tank by dps instead.

Others have the range version covered so I will go the opposite way and post this fit a corp mate and I like simply because it is different.
This fit needs all applicable skills to at least level 4 to work well. With all applicable skills to level 5 it can be a lot of fun.

Since this is a brawler fit torps are an option for the additional damage output, we prefer cruise for better application to small targets.

[Rattlesnake, Brawler Tech 2]

Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II
Shield Recharger II
Large Shield Extender II
Dread Guristas Adaptive Invulnerability Field
Pith A-Type EM Ward Field

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Cruise Missile
Large Remote Armor Repairer II

Large Core Defense Field Purger II

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Bouncer II x2
Garde II x2

All stats below are listed for a character with all applicable skills to level 5 and no implants.
Never bothered to see where these would go with implants because I never run them in my mission character.

Damage output as posted with the Garde II is over 1,000 dps.
Damage output with T2 torp launchers, T2 rage torps and the Garde II is over 1250 dps.
As fit it is well over 1,000 dps tank against all damge types, and it can go well over 1,500 dps against some with a refit to mission specific hardeners.
Capacitor life is over 1 hour 30 minutes.

As I stated earlier this is the direct opposite of what most people do with a rattle. It is not a fit to fly if you want to run missions for ISK / LP, this is a fit you fly when you want something completely different just because you want to fly something different.

1 Like

JC Mieyli is on point on this one, keep training your Gila but go Active shield tank. It handles level 4 security missions really well.

If you can afford ‘Augmented’ drones get them Hammerhead & Vespa. The damage increase is just insane.

2 Likes

Loose the damage control it gives your build ZERO benefits for pve

Eve applies stacking in order of magnitude, the stacking penalty kicks in on the 2nd module
EM Ward Field + Adaptive Invulnerability + Damage Control equals
+50% EM Resistance (0 stacking penalty)
+25% All Resistance (Stacking penalty of 15%)
+5% All Resistances (Stacking penalty of 43%)

43% of 5% is practically nothing
the 60% resistance to your STRUCTURE is a wasted slot in a PVE build

Replace it with one of the following Modules

• Ballistic Control System
  • Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer
  • Missile Guidance Enhancer
  • Shield Power Relay

For propulsion mod you have 2 choices

• Sniper (MJD + Sentry + Cruise)
  • Brawler (AB + Gecko/Heavy + RHML)

imo the brawler build/playstyle is more engaging than the sniper build, both work really well however so it’s down to your personal preference.

1 Like

Damage control never had a stacking penalty with normal modules. It only have with reactive armor hardener.

1 Like

I forgot that bit

the main benefit of a damage control is still the 60% resistance across the board to structure
which is still pointless in a pve build

so nit-picking aside, my point still stands

1 Like

For Active Shield Tanks a DC is often a good idea as long as you have free Lows.

Active Armor its often pointless as your lows are very limited and other resistance mods that fit in Lows offer a better return unless you have a tonne of resistance mods already and you want something that does not stack.

3 Likes

My recommendation is to optimize the passive shield tank. Forget the afterburner and target painters. With and adaptive, 1 ea (Em, Therm, Kin, Exp) amplifier and a large shield extender, you have a free slot to fit either an ab/mwd, shield booster, or drone module as needed.

In lows I use to balistics, two pdu, a dcu and drone dmg amp.

Rigs should be feild extender and em screen plus a missile rig. Either for rate of fire or flight time. I recommend flight time.

I use 5x cruise and a drone nav in highs.

Of course, using the best of each (that you can) always helps.

The drones can take down an NPC BS fairly quickly and are great for all the smaller ships, so scrap the target painter idea. With cruise, missiles, there’s no need to get up close, so no need for AB/MWD on most missions. There are a few missions where you need speed, but those are usually light on NPCs, so just fit one for those.

Again, I’d maximize your passive shield tank first and go from there. Once you can tank them all (and eventually you will be able to), you can just sit and pick off the rest at your leisure. I regularly run lvl 4’s in a Rattlesnake. The only mission that get’s me down to half shields is Gurista Extravaganze in the third stage.

1 Like

The DC is the biggest help when you have logistics with you. Otherwise, yeah use that precious lowslot for damage mods; on a snake, Drone Damage Amp (I wouldnt waste it on BCU)

Some thoughts and personal preferences.

For a mission ship rigs should never be wasted on resistance. In this specific case why waste the slot for an EM bonus when you may be flying missions against Guristas or Serpentis which only deal thermal and kinetic damage. For a mission ship rigs are better used for something that benefits you against all npc races, use your mids for resistance.

Velocity rig I could understand since they reduce the dreaded travel time but flight time on a cruise missile fit rattle why bother? At base stats T1 cruise missiles are good for more than 60k range, alone this is good enough for most missions. Out of a rattle with max skills, no implants and no rigs those same T1 cruise are good for nearly 150k range, since the rattle has less than 100k targeting range why do you need or want more especially when your recommendations do not include a sensor booster to make it useful?

Rate of fire and damage output rigs I can understand if you are a paper dps warrior, on the other hand in the real world rigor cats to reduce the affects of signature radius on the damage equation usually gives better results because better application of your damage.

3 Likes

rapid lights + medium drones in gila can do any L4 no problems at all.

about rattlesnake I’ve tried the brawler setup with rapid heavy and gecko but ion L4 range will kill the fun factor so I’ll recommend sentry + cruise.

1 Like

So far as the rigs go, I said recommend flight time but actually meant to say rate of fire. Personally I fit the EM rig because it allows me to get all my resistances above 90%. I use an implant to help with signature radius, but usually let the drones worry about the smaller ships anyway.

So let me first make some assumptions. I assume you are grinding missions in Caldari since you are specing into a ship that gives the kin damage bonus’s. This being said I agree with previous statements that you really need to get into T2 launchers as soon as you can. I have a friend that just started playing and he against my thinking bought a rattlesnake to run lvl 4s in, he has roughly 5 mil sp at time of writing so we needed a fit for him that gave good dps and massive tank so as to not chance losing this beautiful ship. This is what we came up with and yes I know it isn’t cheap, but this is a ship he plans to grind in for a long time and I wanted him to be solid solo even in the largest missions. I will give you my stats in the ship with this fit for comparison tho I believe he is around 700 dps or so.

Rigs:
Large Core Defense Field Extender 1 X2
Large Core Defense Field Extender 2

High Slots:
Cruise Missile Launcher 2 X5
Drone Link Augmentor 2

Mid Slots:
Large Shield Extender 2
Cap Recharger 2
Dread Gurista Shield Boost Amplifier X2
Pith A-Type Medium Shield Booster
Pithum C-Type Thermal Dissipation Amplifier
Dread Guristas Kinetic Deflection Amplifier

Low Slots:
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control X3
Drone Damage Amplifier 2 X2
Damage Controll 2

The Pith and Gurista mods in the mids are only because that is what I had laying around but I posted my exact fit that I fly when I mission in this ship.
It is loaded with Garde 2’s and Hobgoblins only for drones and does about 12-1300 dps with about 600 being from drones. My friend has lower dps at 5mil sp but hes between 700-800 and the tank on it is cap stable and shield reps are about 139 per second, way more than full pockets in extravaganza or worlds collide can do. I haven’t ever gone below 95% shield tbh. Also the drone range on your hobs is about 78 km depending on skills. You can only drop 2 sentry drones at a time but the bonus on the ship is amazing and gardes rip thru guristas like a hot knife thru butter. I am cap stable in this fit at 56%. Burns thru missions very fast, you don’t need ab or mjd unless missions specific and this is a kin therm fit adjust as needed but resists are 80%kin 74% therm and trust me you never take any damage in this monster. well worth what i spent on it.

Edit: Yes I know you can run 4’s fast in t1 ravens and such and yes it is a ton cheaper. I however like to fly nice things so i use the Rattlesnake, I do not suggest using this ship with any fit unless you can afford to loose a 2bil isk ship. If you can and its a drop in the pond go for it, if not go get a raven and easily grind 4’s for tons less cash. Assumption is you have money and spend it alot in game which is why you fly a rattle.

1 Like