UI: why does everything need to be so big nowadays

You name some improvements first. I asked 2 times already.

More clicks: to close a window in Compact, to access information like Hangar volume in compact, to click through the overview, use broadcasts in the fleet window because of less available space, click through categories in contacts or bookmarks because of lack of visible header separation, use sliders because they are smaller and more error prone, find text input fields because they are almost indistinguishable from the background, selected items are harder to differentiate in some color themes and thus require more clicks to check, etc. pp.

1 Like

Agreed, easy to fix. It’s a WIP afterall.

That’s… how it gets to be compact, you… remove things. The solution is then simple, don’t use it in compact.

Agreed to an extend, works fine but could be better. Again, WIP

Come on now, it’s not an issue. One might like it to be different but it’s not an issue.

I’ve just checked all themes, I’ve not seen the problem.

• edit - if you use a blue theme and then use… blue prints, it’s harder. That’s what happens when you use blue on blue.

If it was easy to fix, CCP had not done that in the first place or they would have already done it because this was pointed out as an issue months ago. Since CCP refuses to fix this, it stands to reason that this kind of obstruction of information and utility is by design and very much desired.

No, that’s not how you compact things. The existing UI does not compact the hangar window by removing all the information and window utility buttons. It compacts them by actually making these UI elements more compact. Photon does not do that. It just hides all the window utility. That’s not how compacting works.

How could it possibly not be an issue that input fields are almost indistinguishable from the background? :thinking:

You still have not posted a single change in Photon that has improved something from the existing UI. Do you not want to or can you not provide something? I guess it’s the latter. Okay, let me give you a hand:

One thing that has gotten better compared to the existing UI is the Drone window. It still wastes ridiculous amounts of space for padding, and the alignment of the In-Space-Drones header to the bottom of the window is just bad UX, and if you click on a drone so that it appears in Selected Items it has lost the Launch button. However, CCP added new features like launch buttons and different view options and they actually reduced the padding compared to a previous iteration. Problem here is that these tiny improvements on this tiny window needed weeks of dev work and were apparently so significant that they made a dev blog about it.

But what else has gotten better. You say there are loads of improvements. Name some and tell me how it’s better than the existing UI.

1 Like

You can’t be this dumb. Are you a flat earther by chance? How about chem trails?

Correct, because this UI is to meant to make EVE Anywhere more easy to use. I understand what you’re saying, I also understand that it’s a necessary evil in this regard and while I personally will never use Anywhere for real it’s a really nice addition for many people.

Chem Trails are real, you know? After all, the vapor from jet engines is H2O, which is a chemical. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: But still no improvements to name? Fair enough.

Has CCP said that anywhere? If that was the case and this UI is supposed to be useful in Anywhere, then it would be helpful if CCP would come clean on that rumor/conjecture. If they came clean, I could adjust my feedback and constructive criticism to suggest improvements for tablet-usability. Because: these tiny buttons at the bottom of the People window really don’t lend themselves well for tablet-usability.

Got a link to such a statement by CCP or is it just educated guessing based on how the UI looks like?

It makes sense. In fact it makes so much sense that I’m in awe that people don’t realize it and need it to be spelled out for them, it’s actually baffling.

It’s not exactly far fetched is it, it’s kinda obvious :slight_smile:

As an aside:

I don’t expect, or even want, jesus features for anything EVE as they just tend to go wrong and mess up the game for years. I like small gradual improvements, little things that just make it all a bit nicer.

This just looks better and being able to just click the item itself without needing the submenu is just… nice. Click a gate name or something else and it warps (edited for clarity, it’s not something I really use yet).

I like the drone window as well. In fact I like the overall look of the UI and lots of little details that are just better. But that’s also because I actually undock, don’t use an ungodly amount of accounts forcing me to use small windowed mode and I enjoy the game so I don’t cry about everything even if it’s unwarranted. Some things need improving and CCP will forever be CCP, overall it’s really nice.

Why the hell would I want to go back to this, where you don’t have those small niceties?

Worse

Unless one uses a 10 year old laptop (get fcked) or 27 accounts in low resolution compact mode (get fcked as well).

You can just click on the second layer gate name without having to expand the third layer and it warps and jumps to that gate?

-edit-

It will warp, not jump.

I found this out myself by accident very recently. It just warps so not anything else, still toying with it but it’s nice nonetheless.

That’s an actual improvement, something that actually makes the UI more useful. Quite sad that this was only mentioned in passing in the Patch Notes for 20.08:

Clicking on the sub-menu of Asteroid Belts, Planets, Stargates, Stations, and Anomalies will now warp the ship to 0m. This is also the case with the Moons sub-menu as well as clicking Customs Office.

This is actually quite a major step forward to making the UI better overall, and would warrant more visibility. That kind of stuff is something I would gladly put some effort into to get used to (probably will need a lot of effort to stop the muscle memory from moving further right into the third layer just by reflex) because it actually improves and expands the UI with more and meaningful features. Now just get rid of all the excessive padding, and I’d be completely happy with that one thing.

lol so it works great for you so nothing wrong here community. You’re here to bark into the wind to tell people why they’re wrong.

2 Likes

the humongous, atrocious skill window for example.

That’s not photon specific but yeah it’s horrible.

Well, at first I also hated Photon, but I see improvements and right now I think Photon has become way better than the old UI and I use it on all accounts now. The additional functionality of the right-click menue in space that lets you warp with less clicks and shows additional infos like sec-status of the system a gate leads to is very nice.
I have set all my windows to compact, even the drone picture can be removed so there is really very very little difference in space consumption compared to the old one. Seeing items/value in compact mode would be nice, still.

1 Like

Photon sucks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.