Uninstall Eve on Linux

How do you unintall eve on Linux. Thanks

1 Like

If you edit the topic to change the category to #technology-research:linux , other Linux users are more likely to respond with advice.

3 Likes
sudo apt-get remove <application_name>

That should always work. If the terminal isnā€™t what stirs your tea, you could open System ā†’ Administration ā†’ Synaptic Package Manager , search for the package you want to remove, click on the checkbox next to it and select ā€œmark for removalā€. Once you click ā€œApplyā€, the package should be removed. Thereā€™s of course also the Ubuntu Software Center. Itā€™s pretty much the same thing as Synaptic. Just search for the application name and click the ā€œRemoveā€ button.

Sometimes applications can be split up into multiple packages (for example, many games have a separate package for their music). To make sure that you uninstall all related packages AND configuration files, you can type

sudo apt-get purge <package-name>

or -in Synaptic- ā€œmark for complete removalā€ instead of just ā€œmark for removalā€.

As for applications that have been manually compiled and installed, thereā€™s not always a single way to remove them. The best thing to do is consult the README/INSTALL file that accompanied the source package - if one exists.

1 Like

The question you should be asking is how to uninstall Linux. Itā€™s not 2002 anymore, dude. Itā€™s not a flex now.

Can you explain that expression, please? Whatā€™s a ā€œflexā€ in this context ?

thx !

1 Like
1 Like

2 Likes

I am perplexed that the question was asked in such a way. Maybe much has changed since I ran EVE in WINE on Linux.

ETA: All I had to do was simply move the directory.

Iā€™m sure rm will still work. :wink:

Enjoy your botnet, nerd. All the cool kids are running Linux now.

How 2003 of you. :slight_smile:

Gentoo FTWā€¦

But in all seriousness nothing wrong with linux. If you have to ask how to uninstall something from Linux maybe linux is not your OS.

Thinking Linux is irrelevant is kinda a weird flex.

2 Likes

Linux powers 80% of the smartphone market, Half of the computers on the International Space Station, the top 500 supercomputers and the bulk of the internetā€™s framework. Linux is a kernel. Not to be confused with the many distributions released with that kernel. In creating and maintaining the kernel, Linus Torvalds has repeatedly stated ā€˜Most kernel development rules we have are just guidelines. The one hard rule I have is to never break user-space.ā€™ Sadly, corporations like Microsoft and Apple arenā€™t as concerned with that as they are the most innovative features or the best fps for gaming or 4k native resolution for video editting.

Windows and Mac want their hardware to do the heavy lifting for you. You could reasonably use both OSes and never even open the terminal (or command line interface, whichever you prefer); with Linux distros, you could likely do the same but youā€™d be selling yourself short on what makes the Linux experience everything it is.

On top of that, even if he doesnā€™t have an Android phone, and is an iPhone yuppy instead (which is also Unix based), Iā€™ll bet he runs Linux anyway.

If he has a router in his home for internet, then he is using Linux. What a scrub.
If his car is relatively modern, then heā€™s running Linux. What a complete loser.
If he has any relatively modern appliances (Washing machine, Dishwasher, Fridge, etc.) then thereā€™s also a good chance that the embedded software includes a Linux Kernel. What an absolute posing tosser.

Pretty hard to avoid using Linux these days, even if you donā€™t realise you are using it, and if you use any technology services at all (eg. phone company, utilities, etc.) then everything you rely on is also using Linux.

Windows (and Microsoft in general since Satya Nadella took over as CEO) is pretty awesome, but Linux is far more pervasive than most people realise.

2 Likes

And since heā€™s used the internet to access these forums heā€™s used countless services and devices, from routers within the internet to the DNS services used for resolving URLsā€¦

(Debian 9 desktop here - I really must do a rebuild for Debian 10, but itā€™s bombproof at the moment soā€¦)

1 Like

Yes indeed.
Even Oracle uses Linux. Oracle is responsible for bringing Java to PC and many many other systems.
Java powers billions of systems, literally.
Oracle Corporation is an American multinational computer technology corporation. It sells database software and technology, Cloud engineered systems and enterprise software products and its own brands of database management systems. In 2019, Oracle was the second-largest software company by revenue and market capitalization.
It also develops and builds tools for database development and systems of middle-tier software, enterprise resource planning software, human capital management software and supply chain management software, all of it thanks to Linux.

Yes, when it works as you wish donā€™t mess with it, lol.
Iā€™ve set openSUSE Leap as a second-boot option and Win10 as primary, mainly for gaming. That way I can have the best of both worlds ; if you consider Win10 as being among the bests, which I really donā€™t but thereā€™s no avoiding Windows sometimes, thatā€™s why Linux distros include Wine or equivalent but they still have limitations due to Microsoftā€™s code proprieties.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.