Universal Timebase Measurement Research

Very few planets are poetically named, doubly so for home planets. Typically they are just variations of “World” “World of [our people]” or just the local name for ground. Caldari Prime, Gallente Prime, not very imaginitive now are they.

So, when there were passive Drifters who did nothing to provoke an attack (except by existing), people attacked them anyway? Why am I not surprised.

4 Likes

Yeah, why would the presence of two drifters in Luminaire worry people? Clearly we should have invited them over for dinner.

1 Like

The staple complaint is that they’re always attacking, making effort of peaceful contact impossible. The one time they are minding their own business would have been a good time to try. I hope ARC did at least try communications, since previously they’ve claimed to be interested in science and study, not extermination.

4 Likes

Communications were attempted by a small gaggle of capsuleers. Prior to ARC’s organized arrival, the assembled capsuleers (which included members of both ARC and SERAPH) were basically crawling all over the ships like cats with a catnip-stuffed couch.

3 Likes

We were on grid with them for an hour and a half, multiple attempts were made to contact them in local and multiple attempts to get their attention were made by the people present. The only acknowledgment of us was bringing reinforcements, likely to try and scare us away.

There’s very little than can be done to try and talk with them.

1 Like

Fair enough.

2 Likes

Hm. Thinking on it, their showing up at all is further proof of the idea that they figure out what’s hot and happening in Empire space by reading the news.

2 Likes

Or they have Jove technology scanners all over the place. “CONCORD’s ancient trinkets” are more than likely something given to them by the Jove.

2 Likes

And turning those trickets on attracted the Drifters …

2 Likes

Hmm. Now that you mention it. Their Doomsdays didn’t fire.

CONCORD’s ancient trinkets, huh.

3 Likes

Yes, except the SoE rep is clearly an idiot:

“The story that this was a simple timebase measuring mission is just a cover for the real plan involving covert assets from SARO and probably even Algintal Core, who after all were also there in force,” said Jora Alexis.

So the covert assets CONCORD was moving into position… were two of the three guys who shot at CONCORD?

Yeah, that makes total sense. ‘There in force’ my arse.

2 Likes

Ha! Gets more and more interesting.

I wonder what Dr. Reniret and Miss Nesif have to say about the SoE splinter group’s claims.

4 Likes

I think Lt. Nesif would say they were rude. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, putting on my finest conspiracy theorist hat here: that Drifter hypertech doomsday fires when their overshields are shot off. How deep in shield, armor, or structure did the research team’s ships end up?

2 Likes

Without getting too deep into the conspiracy theory side of things, I will say that some elements of this don’t really seem to add up.

For instance, that Taya Akira has disappeared is frankly a bit odd, though unsurprising considering that she was a dissident Sanctuary scientist.

What’s more, Drifters both appeared in Luminaire, and did not fire their Doomsday weapons under the usual circumstances. Both of those facts are quite strange.

Certainly, it could all be happenstance, and I very much doubt an arcane, many-faceted scheme was in place, as such plans tend to fall flat. Still, it does make me go, “hm.” While I don’t necessarily trust Pharos of Thera to be well-balanced in its statements, their position as Sanctuary watchdog does often provide them insight into Drifter-related affairs.

As always, ARC invites Pharos of Thera to relay any information they may have that might assist in corroborating these claims.

5 Likes

CONCORD being competent for once? This has conspiracy written all over it.

6 Likes

Well, (a) The research team’s Enforcer-class cruisers weren’t showing overshields, and (b) the ships that our little lighthouse keeper claims were part of the conspiracy got to 0 structure.

1 Like

I’m aware of both of these things, yes – for one, with a bunch of curious capsuleers around, no one mentioned something like “that’s weird, why do your ships have overshields?”

That’s why I didn’t ask about either of these things.

If you’re trying to say you don’t know whether either of the Enforcers dipped into armor or structure, that’s okay too!

1 Like

They never got close. What I was more trying to say was ‘it seems pretty irrelevant to the issue’, since the conspiracy claims rely on something direct observation contradicts: that the attackers were working with the folks they attacked.

1 Like

You know when I first heard about this research I wondered if we’d see The Astrologer show up in the news again.

The recent events, however, I never expected. Very interesting.

4 Likes