Upcoming graphical changes

Anything will be better than what we’ve got today. They keep saying how much they want to attract new players , yet they don’t understand that UI and UX are huge part of user experience and Eve UI is outdated and intimidating for new players.

So yeah, bring it on CCP. I want to my wish granted :smile:

Honestly, If you mess up UI , you shouldn’t be developing video games.

CCP hasn’t been “developing” video games for over a decade.

2 Likes

You have it ironically backwards. The ‘modern disease’ is actually people shouting down anyone who raises issues :slight_smile:

They never got told “NO” and never received a spanking. It’s no surprise that the latest generations are so unruly, violent, in your face and are now undoing a thousand years of progress and getting us back to the Dark Ages.
The architects of the fall of the West didn’t pass laws for no reason, they knew and know exactly what they’re doing.

Hang on a minute…I thought we were in the year 23,000 in another galaxy. Why are you bringing up ancient history ?

The meme is as bad as sterotypes. Most people got told no growing up so hard they don’t even try anymore.

1 Like

Too much sooth sayer

Oh sweet chile, how wrong you are :smiley:

3 Likes

Well, my PC may be 5 years old, but somehow I think if it can cope well with 1440p 2K video ( which it can, very well )…it ought to be able to cope with a JPEG image nailed to the sky :slight_smile:

I’m just sayin’.

The skybox looks horrible. If it looked like that on the CCP developers’ screens, I think they would fix it before they added reflections to ship surfaces.

Yeah, it looks cool, but it has poor readability and takes up unnecessary screen real estate in several ways. So, maybe that had something to do with it. I mean, he even said in the video you linked that it was an artistic mockup designed to inspire, but that the style is just the aesthetics -what really matters is usability and functionality.

As for your original post, I play zoomed out as well. However:

• there are players who do play zoomed in
  • pretty graphics help to draw in new players
  • giving players reason to play zoomed in probably helps to drive skin sales
  • different players have different preferences and priorities, and I promise you that at least some players will like this.

Let me put it this way, I think laser and weapon graphics and the UI are fine -my number one complaint (by a huge margin) is brightness and glare. However, if CCP worked on the things that matter to you, I wouldn’t be all, “argh, CCP is wasting developer resources working on things that don’t matter!!!” But that’s exactly what players do all the freaking time. They equate “not important to me” with “not important at all.”

Now, all of this is not to say that CCP doesn’t make mistakes or that they can’t be out of touch with what their players want. However, you seem to be under the false impression that you know more about game development and what the players want than you actually do.

4 Likes

That…and that annoying roll into dock, where one is aching to just unload stuff but you have to wait for half the animation to complete. Likewise if one is going through one’s ships in dock, you can’t just change ship and be done with it…no, you just have to have the animation every time.

Well, there’s still the session change timer. So docking/undocking and changing ships will never be instant. However, you can turn off those animations.

2 Likes

It would be great if there were “anti-glare” filters for our ship cameras.

It would definitely be a benefit if text could be colored or oultlined with an xor of the background value to help see and read it in these very un dark of space areas. But that’s a very tall order when you are using someone else’s shrink wrapped development libraries.

Yes. It would be nice if the overview text/lines could be put into and xor color mode, but I doubt if the off the shelf libraries behind all this supports that stuff. You know, programming close to the metal ain’t where programmers are anymore.

And a joystick!!! Please!!!

Just kidding. I wouldn’t be able to see what’s in my baffles (submarine talk).

Yeah. The tricky genie who gives you what you want, but…

echo ‘Honestly, If you mess up UI , you shouldn’t be developing video games.’ | sed -e ‘s/UI/life/’ -e ‘s/developing video games/be in government/’

And yet, here we are.

I remember when jumping a gate wasn’t a short scene from Dr Who credits.

I also remember when you could occasionally get stuck there.