Updated System Requirements - Discontinue Windows 7 and 8 Support

well anything what was able to use windows 7/8 can run windows 10 and you are/was able to use the same license key … so … why you use such old OS??

As many others, I understand that technology advances and operating systems become outdated, and up to this point of my 16-year journey of EVE Online, I have kept apace.

But no longer. Windows 10 is a pain and Windows 11 is outright malevolent. I will not upgrade along that path. (That should answer your question @JuuR_Zibaoo )

The only point of criticism that can be raised here, is at CCP (as usual). Everyone knew this was coming, it was just a matter of when. But CCP, fearing any and all potential backlash, decided to wait until after FanFest to announce this.

And then give us just 7 weeks to find a workaround.

A good a time as any to say farewell, I guess.

6 Likes

Seriously, why is it always the launcher that breaks things

Also you package a ■■■■■■■ browser engine into a program that is supposed to update and launch a game just to display ads and then talk about security features. That’s just golden

9 Likes

what? then run it on Linux or use a Mac (not an Apple fan) but sorry Windows 10 is awesome … Windows 11 not so much but well 12 will come sooner or later …

2 Likes

Golly this really revealed the bottom of the barrel of who plays EVE on old tech lol. Like any PC made after 2018 would suffice here.

I don’t really know how any of these people who want to die with Windows 7/8 are going to be playing latest games.

I bought my gaming laptop in 2022. Probably plan on keeping it until 2027? Depending on how decent a RTX 3070 will be in 5 years.

Yah PC gaming can be expensive. :moneybag: :sunglasses: Can’t afford it? I suggest looking for a new/cheaper hobby because games are not getting easier to run and they are not getting cheaper.

Don’t let my facts hurt you on the way down. :point_up_2:

2 Likes

Houston, we have a problem

With Microsoft dropping support for Win7/8 CCP is forced to drop support too. Connecting an unsupported and thus unpatched operating system to the Internet is like driving a car without safety belt and airbag. No company is allowed to run unsupported operating systems in their environment for security compliance reasons.

If you don’t like the newer Windows versions (which I totally understand) you have the option to switch to Linux and run EVE via Steam on Linux.

4 Likes

It’s not the launcher that “breaks things”.

From reading between the lines in the announcement it’s fairly clear that whatever spy software they’ve chosen to deploy to eve clients as anti-cheat for Vanguard doesn’t support Win7/8.

2 Likes

I would not blame CCP totally for this Microsoft is the one who stopped supporting Win 7/8/8.1 and maybe support for Win 10 in 2025

4 Likes

Are you serious? EVE doesn’t send information to the client the player can’t see, what would be the point of an anti-cheat? Is this your personal conspiracy or is there actually any information about this?

Let’s take off the tin foil hats now…

Deep breath

1 Like

Fattony is proving to be nothing other than a troll and an antagonizer. why dont you go find something else to do since none of this is relevant to you? Lots of vitriol… few facts on your part.

1 Like

You can quote me like a man and say what I did wrong. Everything I have said here is straight up fact. You may not admit that here but personally you know it.

There is no spyware in EVE. We can take off the tin foil conspiracy theory hats now and enjoy the game.

Some people are so uptight.

:point_up_2: Facts. The only way to counter the people who wine about why CCP and many other companies is to be strong and resolute in your beliefs and it starts with that fact I stated above.

I run 6 accounts/clients on a 3570k and a 1070 with Win7 with max graphics settings @1920x1200 (selected items turned off that don’t impact visual quality).
With those 6 clients it was the 16G of RAM that was the bottleneck, which I just upgraded to 32 and it now runs @ 65% utiliisation.
The fact that you use gaming and laptop in the same sentence is proof positive you’re a clueless bottom of the barrel user.

4 Likes

The number of accounts you run doesn’t validate you using windows 7. You can run 20 accounts and noone will care. It is an old operating system and Microsoft is phasing it out along with numerous of other companies. Please read the many other comments posted about that.

I have a RTX 3070 TI 8gb. I can do what you do and more. :sunglasses:

I have 32gb of ram.

Nice!

I love gaming laptops. Had mine for almost a year now. No heat problems. Runs very fast. I could multibox those 6 accounts and do just fine. Do not turn this into gaming laptops vs PCs.

This thread is about upgrading from windows 7 to windows 11. According to a quick google search it came out sometime in 2009. :rofl:

You conveniently ignore my facts about the gaming industry and all the other posts saying why this is happening. I am just pointing out that the salt from windows 7 users will be strong here and it seems like I was proven right. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if the new secure bells and whistles for the launcher, will those break the Linux solution too? It sounds like a proprietary windows only Eve is coming.

They dont support linux anyway. Mac and windows only are officially supported

Out of interest, which feature sets?

1 Like

An insignificant number, just look at the steam hardware survey from last month

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Windows 7 was 0.06% of all users and windows 8.1 made up a massive 0.18%, at this point you’re looking at 0.24% so less than 1/4 of 1%

Its a pretty insignificant number of people to lose tbh

To be fair, you were told years ago that windows 7 was EoL, have you not been able to save up enough for a newer version of windows in those 3 years?

And you’ll find more and more games will be doing it, so you can feel free to sit there on 7 all you want, its your list of games which is going to get smaller :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They won’t admit it in public ofc.

They can only cling to Windows 7 for so long. :smiling_imp: They will come to the light and glory that is Windows 11 or just quit PC gaming all together.

Oh less than 1/4 of 1%. :rofl:

Do we REALLY need that 1/4 of 1% of you people useing Windows 7? :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like