You lost me

Long story short, The game is no longer the game I used to play.
But the thing which is most important to me:
Nobody thinks that Windows or Microsoft has any future. And EVE is actually trying to push DX12 although the rest of the world is going Vulcan.
Bye EVE for making absurdly strange descicions. No you can not have my stuff. Maybe in 10 years CCP will see how bad MS is actually doing right now and that DX12 ist a really weird direction.

Even if Windows and/or Microsoft don’t have a future, enough people still think they do and that momentum is large enough that going for DX12 makes sense (and even going for the DX versions after that).

Would I love seeing more effort getting put into making EVE run on Linux without having to jump through wine and without DX? Absolutely, but I can see why that is not where CCP is focusing their resources right now.

All we can do is stay active ingame, on the forums, discord, player gatherings or wherever we get the attention of devs and keep them aware that yes, Linux players do exist and “One universe” means that it should not matter from which timezone, country or operating system you log in.

1 Like

I can’t remember where I heard this (maybe the linus tech tips about gaming on linux), but most of the industry doesn’t like developing for linux because linux users create the vast majority of the support tickets, but a minority of sales. So, this leads to a catch-22. No one wants to support linux because there isn’t enough money in it, and gamers don’t want to switch to linux, because a lack of support makes gaming on the OS a pain. It’s unfortunate, because I am completely fed up with windows, and would very much love to ditch it.

And to OP… get the hell out of here. Even Linux advocates have said that gaming for linux isn’t ready yet. And, given the nature of the problem, it’s unclear whether it ever will be. Moreover, 75% of Steam users are already DX12 capable today -which is a pretty big difference between the most fervent linux advocates declaring windows dead, and proclaiming that everyone will switch over… eventually. Hell, I’ve thought Apple products have sucked for years, but that hasn’t stopped them from amassing an army of fan boys, becoming one of the most profitable companies on the planet, and having more OS market share than linux.

But hey, if you’re looking for an excuse to quit, I guess this is as good as any.

Also, can I have your stuff?

1 Like

CCP answered this on the recent 'Burger lead market review on Twitch. Too lazy to reference it for you.
If I recall correctly the line (in the chat) was that Vulcan savvy devs are hard (read rare) to source thus Direct X.
Honestly guy, how long did we have to wait for drivers to run any damn thing thru linux? Entitled much?
The answer has always been build it yourself or support those that can.

1 Like

I somehow have the feeling that CCP is betting on EVE Anywhere as the long term solution for all of these technical issues.

That’s my gut-feeling as well. :computer:

Unless they let us run all of our accounts in the browser (in a way that works, because iirc you have no way to save settings like overview and chat windows), I find it unlikely that many of us will use it.

You lost me

What OP expects of CCP:

What OP gets instead:

:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.