Updated System Requirements - Discontinue Windows 7 and 8 Support

The list of games is null and void, as Steam itself will go dark in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Citation needed please.

(TY for link) @Noot_Dnilb

Please back up your claim with any appropriate link. Preferably from Steam.

Here you go - Steam support discontinued Win7/8

2 Likes

Ty. Could you actually format that for more people than just me? Remember to always cite your sources so they are easy to find! :slight_smile:

Usually, the link text is sufficient because formatting the URL to “Here you go” is not great.

It wouldn’t have helped because chromium support for Windows 7 was discontinued almost a year ago. They were far smarter about supporting windows 7 than CCP was.

There are also other better alternatives to eve anywhere - not that those are any more likely to run on windows 7 for much longer either.

1 Like

its about time. I wonder how much more development could have been done had Windows 7 not been supported at any point during the last 3 years

1 Like

It will still work on linux?

At the moment, the client crashes on wine 8.0.2-stable. The launcher works fine, but the client not so much.
When I have time, I’ll do a clean install and re-check.

Regarding win11 - if you haven’t read the new October '23 EULA, you really should read what the micro-police is allowing themselves to do to you and your computer. I wouldn’t want to agree on that.

Maybe a class-action suit will make them come to their senses.

4 Likes

Yes, EVE is working usually well on Linux. The easiest way is to use it via Steam after enabling experimental mode.

3 Likes

I hope you won’t consider Mac next …

1 Like

If EVE online hadnt changed much the last 15 years, it would probably have been better off.

I mean the PC game market is changing. It used to be that people bought a new game, played it for a week, then bought a new game. This is still a thing. But also are “stable” games that people return to.

If EVE online hadnt changed much then it would still be accesible via “old hardware” and for people who do not spend thousands of dollars on a new PC every other year. This market is increasing btw. And the market for expensive 3D graphic PCs is shrinking imo. So “old games” will become the games that people continue to play. And the ones that thought they had to change something every 3 months are the ones people will slowly stop playing :slight_smile: Quality > Quantiy. CCP mega blunder by making a game that can only be run on a specfic operating system and run well with high end hardware. Not a company that develops games for the people. Thats for sure

rant over

2 Likes

Wrong way lol.

You seen the corpse that is Star Trek Online?

These huge developers way bigger than CCP and the MMO market are going to be pushing for newer graphics cards, newer setups, and more.

Games are only going to get harder to run, LARGER in size, and more expensive. Cities Skylines 2 for example is 50gb download. :joy: Starfield is apparently 125gb in size. The industry is going forward with these kinds of games. It is CCP’s job to stay at the bleeding edge of the competition. Cutting support for Windows 7/8 frees up more dev hours to support other newer platforms.

2 Likes

Blockchain-tech based game, most likely. They somewhat dodged the bullet with NFT infestation, like year ago, to now play cat and mouse with blockchain. Well…

I will leave the speculation to your department. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mom they won’t let me use the OS that hasn’t had a security patch in 3 years, moooooooooooom I’m being oppressed!121!!

5 Likes

Windows 10 (32bit and 64 bit) can be downloaded from Microsoft. but You have to get A Key to So it can be activated. I did have win 10 pro sorted out, but after a usb short. my system went down, I had to install win 7 pro, and windows 10 will not update from there site, I have downloaded, win 8.1 pro, and I just need a puk number, as Then I can install win 10 pro, as then I can use my puk key… What a polava, Grind, Headache… Fly safe all and for those that is going to fan fest, I will see you there.

1 Like

Fanfest is over unless you mean 2024 lol

I’m using Windows 7 not because I can’t upgrade, but because Windows 10 does not have features Windows 7 has. (Namely shell customization.)

1 Like

EVE is certainly not worth upgrading to 10 over. It’s an easy choice for me. If I wanted an OS designed with backdoors to spy on me I’d be using a smartphone. Bye

4 Likes

Considering (AFAIK) 10 will be discontinued in a couple of years as well I guess if anything it should be 11 (well I hear it is even worse so just in theory). Anyway just thought I drop it in for your consideration in case you think about upgrading.

1 Like