Upwell Hangars Evolved

#ReturnShipSpinningToTheCapitals!

1 Like

I think a visual evolution is a nessessary step in any 3d-space-sim game. To be honest, when I look at older trailers or fanmade videos from 15 years ago, the numbers of people willing to accept that graphic would be pretty low today. So thanks for keeping up the development to allow EVE to compete among the contenders in the sci-fi-games business.

However, there need to be an option to disable especially power-hungry features for users of older machines or for the sake of protecting the environment. Without disabling the graphics completely of course. Just allow a static 2D renderpicture as hangar background when docked. Nobody wants a black screen, thats just a terrible idea.

My own PC is rather middle class I believe (Ryzen 5600X + Radeon 5700XT, 32GB Ram) and while it runs nearly silent in most of EVE scenes (120FPS limited) on medium graphics, it sounds like a starting fighter jet when docked. Please fix that.

9 Likes

I love the new upwell hangars, the tricks with the cameras, switching of ships, the unique interiors for different size and types of upwell hangars!

… I just wish I could see it in all it’s glory during my regular gameplay, because I had to turn down my graphical settings in order to keep smooth gameplay. The black screens after undocking have become longer in the last year, other graphically heavy updates like the abandoned asteroid belts may look awesome but take ages to load, the skybox looks prettier but it’s all looking worse than it used to do before I had to turn down my graphical settings.

Maybe I’ll enjoy the new hangars one day when I get a new computer, but until then I cannot even see the skins of my ships anymore if I want to have smooth gameplay.

Nevertheless, the new upwell hangars look great when I turn up my graphics!

4 Likes

Maybe you need a version of eve that is based off excel?

1 Like

CCP dreams of things that they can not properly published.

don’t we all though

i have the feeling its a bit to much …
a opt out would be nice

JuuR

1 Like

so you get paid when you dream?

sometimes i make youtube videos my job is to dream

the vid i saw was more like a bad dream

yeah Still working on it

1 Like

+1 for having the upgrades to NPC stations too. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

In short, love it, but want the option to turn it off. It kills performace even on 2 clients.

The new hangers look fantastic, love them… but after a couple of weeks, I love my FPS more. I’d happly have an option to turn back on the the old fade to black dock/undock if it allowed me to multibox properly again.
I do think they look great, but its getting very frustrating waiting on screens to load and unload, the stuttering with all the particle effects etc. Rendering lots of ships is cool for a little while, but actually unless you spend a considerable time zooming the camera in and out around of your hanger, instead of playing the game, rendering so many is a bit pointless.
Making lovely hanger screen shots is nice, but not at the expense of game performance.

One odd thing I noticed was if you dock while the PI screen is open, when you close the PI screen, no matter how long you have been docked, the docking animation starts.

9 Likes

Layout System
Will the layout system ever be customizablle by the players to personalize their own stations?

1 Like

The hangars are really cool.
All very well thought out and designed in general terms.

The ships shine, there is freedom of movement, the particle effects are amazing, the atmosphere is cozy, full of activity, this is very good, from my experience.

I understand that it wastes resources, but it is the trend, more immersive effects.

They must insist on this at this point, as people get used to it later and it seems that EVE always had these hangars like this.

These hangars are the next level of graphics in EVE.

Coupled with this, with the new interface (UI) that is very attractive, and they moved away from the red dot, the new effect to indicate new objects is very good and I think it works.

These changes are a fresh breeze that certainly helps EVE enter her 30s.

I suppose that the effort to develop these graphics for hangars is intended for life in null and large corporations, where the structure is a fundamental pillar.

In general, the structures are for a few, who can defend them or manage not to be attacked, since the longer it lasts without being destroyed, the more people want to do it.

I can’t understand why that beautiful effort right in the structures, which are very unpleasant on the outside, have decoupled? The textures are so bad, that any ship doesn’t seem to come from the inside, rather from a cardboard box.

Of course, this only matters when you’re not being chased by 7 thugs to kill you, I know, I know.

But I guess you guys know what you’re doing.

For example, someone from the development team for the new hangars has uncoupled from a station like Amarr Station Military, with those tubes, all of them lousy pixelated and full of polygons simulating circles, with lousy lighting.

They are beautiful stations, but from afar, don’t use or undock them.

Or some Gallente stations, organic looking, if you get close it’s terribly bad, all very low poly and very pixelated.

This does not happen with the Caldari stations, they are the best in quality of their textures, I think so.

I am quite humble in my request:
But I think they could work on the look of the module icons, like the missile turrets, or the lousy new ones for compressing materials and a few others.

They should all look great like Interdiction Nullifier for example.

But cheer up, you have to start somewhere, and EVE is incredibly complex and big.

Love the UPdate, Now can we have a toggle off while docked as well, GPU’s act better undocked than they do docked.

not to bad if i want to have a ooo shinny, But considering that I many not be at the computer when im docked… Do i really need my gpu fans at 100%

5 Likes

Looks awesome keep it up. Need to do this for npc stations as well though i mean the environments at least not all the power states of course.

Is my Tatara hangar supposed to be completely black? Like absolutely no graphics, just tar black.

Well, from pure graphical point of view - the new hangars are awesome…

But there is one big BUT - it’s an optimization issues. During 2022 we had 2 significate patches - one with DX12 support and now the Uprising, and in both cases there were cases of poor optimization or even hard crashes of DirectX.

I did some tests after Uprising, in my case the difference between Ambient occlusion Disabled and High is over 100 FPS in 1440p. Wow, just wow. And you are planning to add SSAO on top, please don’t. Or in such case EVE would require a RTX 4090 to run it by default.

5 Likes

These station environments are pretty. However, you still need to make them respect the ‘dynamic camera movement’ checkbox and not fly your ship and camera around if that box is not checked. We got that option because a lot of people, including me, find the forced camera movement disorienting and unpleasant. I don’t care about seeing my ship flying around dramatically inside the hangar and it just makes my stomach flip a bit, so let me turn it off so I can focus on the actual game. That’s the entire point of why that setting exists - you recognized this the last time you added disorienting hangar animations and then had to allow an opt-out for people sensitive to it, so why was this allowed to happen again?

Not to mention, the tooltip for that setting even specifically mentions ‘docking animations’, and yet the new docking animations completely ignore it. Totally apart from this representing a failure to consider accessibility for motion-sensitive users, it’s also just bad UI design.

1 Like