Utari's Puppies (Formerly Off-Topic Thread)

I am the proud owner of a resting ■■■■■ face.

That doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Yeaaaaaah, not gonna lie, that’s a thing.

Old.

(Ok, I admit that’s a joke on the teenage outlook.)

1 Like

How old are you chronologically?

1 Like

Old… from a teenage perspective.

Beyond that, I’d rather not say, publicly.

1 Like

I’m having visions of Arrendis occasionally bursting into tears and yelling “You don’t understand me or my life!” at the Goon leadership team.

2 Likes

20 is old from a teenage perspective.

1 Like

HAH!

You’ve clearly never met Jay. But no, it’s actually pretty easy to remain dispassionate and removed as head of Doctrines & Fittings. When we present, we include significant amounts of usage information. One of the first things I was taught when I was brought into the department was that you can’t get attached to your designs. No matter how well-designed a tool is, when dealing with Goons, it will get used for something it wasn’t intended to do, and it will fail spectacularly in that job.

There was a point where we let ourselves get trapped in purpose-built designs, of course. The Sandycanes were intended specifically for hitting Force Auxiliaries, Typhoons specifically intended for long-range Upwell assault (before the firmware upgrade extended certain Upwell capabilities). They were actually very good at those specific jobs, but they got used for much, much more. And were so, so bad at it.

And that was on me. When the decision came down, I had plenty of advance notice about it, so I went ahead and spent three days drunk, then dyed my hair black and moped about through a few days, turned up to the meeting mildly ill (ok, I’d thrown up. Shut up), took responsibility for the team’s failures, and offered my resignation.

But that wasn’t being done out of any particular point of emotional maturity at that point… I mean, don’t get me wrong, the mature, analytical side of me was in full-effect, but yeah, there was plenty of petulance and drama waiting beneath the surface. I remember being all ready to huff on out of there, too… but, you know. The best laid plans of emos and divas, amirite? Mittens had to go and decide that taking responsibility for the team’s failures was the appropriate response, and refused to accept my resignation.

Since then, well, we’ve adopted an additional maxim about the tools we give to the FCs: We design sledgehammers, not scalpels.

Unless, you know, we’re actually pushing a fit for a Scalpel. The Jacks use them, after all.

Anyway, I tend to do most meetings on mild sedation, and don’t start drinking until after.

1 Like

Internally I have my clones set for peak performance. I understand the reasoning for having clones with teenage internal workings but the idea of also adopting a teenage outward appearance strikes me something between odd and creepy. And I’m saying that.

No offense.

Also, it so disproves the idea that Empyreans are particularly special when we consider that, like mice with electrodes connected to their brains’ pleasure center, when given immortality and perfect health most of us revert to repeatedly pressing the alcohol and drugs button.

3 Likes

Having your clones set to one biological age but making them look another seems odd and creepy to me, so… I guess we’re even? I mean… I don’t much care what age I look, so why muck with complicating the process?

Well… the alcohol is only partially ‘self-medicating’. A month isn’t really a great amount of time to build up a tolerance, so the extreme chemical abuse of my liver is partly ‘ok, time to pass out now, the pod will filter it all out when I get up’.

And… I’ve experimented with more virtual, immersive diversions, but there’s a paranoid little sliver of me that keeps wondering how I’d ever know if I got stuck in one, so lately that’s kinda turned me off to them. Especially after I found one with a particularly well-built reaction-AI that claims it’s entirely possible to ignore the script of the virtual story and just go do whatever you like in the setting. It seemed… well. That paranoid sliver can’t help but think that if I wanted to brainwash capsuleers, I’d do it through a very subtle feedback trickle in a VR game/novel like that.

1 Like

I find it creepy that you don’t find it creepy.

I also need the info on that VR platform. When you get a chance.

1 Like

You find it creepy that I don’t think not making a teenage body look like a septugenarian is creepy? Whatever age it is, it’s still me. It’s still gonna look like me. Why fuss over the trivialities?

And… I’ll consider it. It might be slightly heretical for you.

2 Likes

Lllllord Ibrahim? Are you saying that at your heart, your physical heart, masked poorly by a dour and world-weary exterior, you are an impetuous and dashing lad?

You could have said this a few years ago, you know. It just seems as though it might have been nice to know.

4 Likes

My physical heart is synthetic but it has the beat of a young soul. Many of them.

2 Likes

But what kind of beat? 3/4 time? 4/4? A kind of funky 6.3/9 time?

3 Likes

6.3/9 time? I’m not sure how many musicians are rolling over in their graves, but my guess is: all of them.

Possibly many mathematicians, also.

2 Likes

:thejoke:

2 Likes

The problem here is that a potential future can’t be seen or confused with a reality. More often than not, whenever long-term decisions like these are made, at the time where either the union or members in full would stand to benefit from said decisions, the promise of a “better future reality” is too easily forgotten or more than likely superceded by (a) new (potential) reality(/ies) (read: danger) requiring additional restrictive measures to be taken. This mismanagement (patching up instead of radically adapting the architecture to make it more resilient) and Union corruption are two things that would make the State look bad. It is also a factor in the centralization of State authority, since no Union exists without State meddling. Hyasyoda Corporation is right to be wary of this. A true capitalist does not unionize!

Wait, am I in the right thread?

Do you really want us to answer this?

2 Likes

Rejoice, for @Kybernetes_Moros has returned, to dispense wisdom about strange geometry and other arcane scientific constructs.

3 Likes

You know, I loaded this place up again–with a new layout? What’s that all about?–and I thought to myself, “Kybernetes, don’t get geometric! It’ll lead only to bad places!”. So I didn’t!

And there you are, all “oh, he’s going to dispense wisdom about geometry”! I swear. I don’t even think most of what I talk about on there–or on any other arcane doohickery–qualifies as wisdom! That implies things like forethought and planning, and I save those for other endeavours!

I did try to assemble that diamond you gave me, though. Or maybe Synthia or Connie gave me it–memories get shuffled around and some never get properly linked back up again until you check, you know? I docked up somewhere in… oh, man. Khanid lands, I think? Maybe Kor-Azor. Maybe–surely not–even Tash-Murkon. Some Imperial setting. Anyway, wherever it was, I docked up, and bam, suddenly I get a disassembled diamond. So, yeah, like I said, I tried to put it back together.

I wasn’t really very successful.

5 Likes