Version 18.11 - Feedback and Known Issues (Mac)

I too have got wine instantiations accumulating from every character I log in, and more evidence that they exist in the form of a cursor hanging in the upper left of my screen, just below the Apple menu. This is on a standard consumer iMac running Catalina 10.15.7

Of course, I am also still getting huge freezes every time I go out into space, that can last up to minutes, and give every appearance of being a total crash! These days I live more in fear of this software, than anything else in Eve!

Hi I sent for support and nobody answered me, lost a kronos because the Mac screen froze and I had to reboot, this happened twice (not the loss of Kronos, the MAC locked twice).
Also graphic is very slow when thereā€™re many ships of other stuff on the screen and Wine keeps hanging on the dock after I quit the program. Sometimes thereā€™re many Wine.exec openā€¦this may cause the CPU to overloadā€¦
Please fix it or it would be very difficult to playā€¦

We have deployed a fix today that should resolve any map issues. If you still experience any, please file a bug report.

We are investigating the cause of the crash monitoring process having issues.

Also getting the issue with the Wine64 preloaded error and the client freezing for around 20 seconds in game canā€™t top, canā€™t use mouse. Getting twitchy when playing as donā€™t want to be losing ships due to this issue.

Hey allā€¦weā€™re looking into the wine64-preloader issue now. There are a few things happening.

1. The crash monitoring process is not closing gracefully on exit. So the preloader apologizes in a ā€œProgram Errorā€ popup window. People who see that window simply close it and all instances of wine64-preloader close. Click click, weā€™re all fine here (except for the aforementioned lack of grace and subsequent crashmonitor crash, oh the irony).
  2. On some Macs, however, the popup is not properly displaying and instead appears like a tiny cursor under the menu bar. The other indicator is an wine64-preloader exec icon in the dock for the (not visible) ā€œProgram Errorā€ window. You must quit these manually to end the processes.

We are investigating immediate solutions to both issues now, but this will be the situation at least into next week. Until such time as we can ferret out the core problems, please manually close those windows from the dock on exit. We know this will be an inconvenience for players with multiple accounts and do apologize.

1 Like

And me. Does this have any reference to my Mac hanging up for no apparent reasonā€¦ randomly.

I see it very time the game is launched! and it gets no further Was the version tested?

LogLite rapidly wracks up hundreds of thousands of blue (i)nfo log messages too.

Times are in UTC. Image shows start of Loglite at 21:27. Screenshot at 21:39:

Many of the errors seem to be:

005a:fixme:thread:NtGetCurrentProcesserNumber need multicore support (8 processors)

Iā€™m on a (Late) 2012 27" iMac with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB of DDR3 RAM.```

There were a number of issues yesterday with servers that Apple run, which caused issues for non Apple applications on Mac: https://twitter.com/lapcatsoftware/status/1326990296412991489

I believe these have been resolved now, but we saw issues internally too as a result of this.

I donā€™t know if this is directly related, but thought Iā€™d mention it as many issues I was having have cleared up today.

1 Like

Iā€™m having client lock up issues as well. Itā€™s happened once or twice every day over the last few days. Iā€™m not sure exactly when it started.

Also, does anyone know if EVE is working under the new macOS Big Sur? I havenā€™t upgraded yet because I canā€™t seem to find an answer about this.

Thanks.

EVE Online works on Big Sur, I can confirm that. I upgraded yesterday and all seems to be working fine.

1 Like

This is not a huge deal (I have a work around) but itā€™s mildly annoying. Well, two things, actually.

1. Wine, or the launcher or the client, or some combination thereof, does not seem able to remember what size window I want when I log in. The default is, I think, 2560x1440. At least, thatā€™s the size almost every time I start the client. I generally have to remember to change the window size in the client settings before I log in, and that works fine. But if I quit the game, the software doesnā€™t remember that I changed the window size. This brings me to:

2. Since the last update, when I log into one account and change the window size, the preferred size is remembered when I quit the game and start another instance of the client for another account. This is great, but it appears to be caused by zombie processes. I have five accounts. My daily routine includes logging into each one in succession, grabbing whatever loot CCP is giving away, redeeming it, quitting, and on to the next account. When I get done I have 5 empty instances of Wine and one instance of Wine Preloader still running in the background. Easy enough to manually quit each of them, but I shouldnā€™t have to do that. When I go through the routine the next day, the window size goes back to 2560x1440 for the first login.

Iā€™m running Mojave 10.14.6 on a 27" 2017 iMac.

1 Like

I updated to Big Sur today and the UI freezes. I had it lock up for a few minutes and had to force quit out of the three characters I was playing at the time.

It just locked up again for about 30 seconds and I was only playing one character this time.

I am on an iMac Pro w/64GB RAM, Vega 64. One 5K main display and two 4K external monitors.

Iā€™m on OSX 10.12.6

Looking at 7 instances of wine64-preloader sitting in the dock. Not as bad as my windows machine, the launcher wonā€™t exit without killing it first.

I have this issue too. Reported as a bug a few days ago.

Thank you!

Another very annoying problem my EVE client has is:

After some time the clients runs, I can no longe paste into the game what I copied outside the game e.g. an URL from my browserā€™s address bar

Still getting a bunch of wine64-preloader windows failing to close.

Hi. I have not done the MAC Big Sur upgrade yet, but I am also getting random UI freezes. Also getting the multiple Wine instances.

Occurs both a Macbook Pro and on an iMac.

The paste problem seems to happen in spurts. That is paste will stop working between the Mac and Wine (but the reverse is fine) consistently for multiple days or sometimes a week or more. Then itā€™ll suddenly start working again and stay working, usually for weeks or months. The amount of time working far outweighs the amount of time not working for me, and I do a lot of copying/pasting in both directions.

Anyway, itā€™s not an issue specific to this update, but something that crops up off and on. Dunno what triggers it or what fixes it. :-o