Version 19.08 - General Feedback

My character sheet didn’t update properly. I’ve got these new tabs, but the rest is not there. Works perfectly fine in other characters on the same account, and on other accounts.

Skill queue updated just fine. I’ve tried clearing the cache.

So we’re having at least some common ground.
And you’re entitled to like the wrong order - but do you think CCP should
A: Spend even more Dev time writing a script to arrange them correctly for all languages without breaking their formating
B: Return to a thematical order
or C: Do nothing and look stupid

I think A would be quite a waste of time and money just to achieve a useless task.

I think they should leave it the way it is now. For English, it is fine. For other languages, it may be in a different order, but it was already in a different order so I don’t see the issue. There was no rhyme or reason to the old sorting, either. the idea that it was “thematical” seems to me to be after the fact rationalization. It was just the way it had been since they started it.

Good point but they didnt actually do that part.
Non english speakers just all get a gobbled mess because CCP is verry, verry incompetent at UI design.

2 Likes

Oh great. Us English client people got a reorganization to order that we didn’t want, and then everyone else just gets garble. I like! /s

2 Likes

1 Spaceship handling
2 Defence
3 Offence
4 Utility and systems
~ Unique
5 Industry
*and even structure management fits thematically into sndcastle building

I am sorry you never realised but this is MUCH better than having to sing the ABC song in my head to find what i am looking for.

19 Likes

The new skill button of the user interface is great. I have never seen such a brilliant icon design. The solution - “let’s never remove this button from neocom” - best solution ever. Everyone should appreciate it.

New skill window is excellent. Everyone loves mobile phone games design style on PC. It so great.
The previous skill panel was too compact and comfortable. It was the last century (sorry … quadrant). Huge skill icons are great but it is not enough they need to be made even bigger because my screen is not cluttered enough.

Could you please also enlarge the 3D image of my character. It takes up only a third of the screen. Since this 3D gives me very critical and useful information I would prefer it to take up at least 50% of the screen.

Keep it up.

8 Likes

I understand this is sarcasm, and I know the rest of the players will too, but CCP will look at this and literally use it as an argument against changing it back/fixing things.

2 Likes

Well, may I suggest that CCP quantifies the voices? Send out a well-structured, comprehensive survey about the new UI and ask people what they like, what they don’t like, what works well, what does not, what should be improved, what people are missing from the new UI. So far, your voice and that of Induce Deadline are clearly in the minority and if I may say so, I have even started to hear people who initially liked the UI that they are reconsidering their opinion. Other companies can do this just fine and ask their players about their opinions after every big patch they release. CCP has the same system in place but has not used it beyond one single and arguably very creepy first placebo survey.

Maybe, just maybe, the previous UI actually was and still is better. Simply because it can do more in less space. And maybe, just maybe, such a survey would reveal that and then CCP would have to reconsider their stubbornness on “change” because, as CCP put it, they value their amazing community of players so much.

3 Likes

I would like to add notes about the “skill planner” if it can be called such, and am retracting my previous statement about it being

As i’ve just tried to make myself a small little skill plan for a small little ship.

As most people do, when trying to get into a specific ship (because this is a spaceship game where you want to fly spaceships), I used fitting simulation to plan the build i want to go into.
Upon finding a fitting that I like, and want to use, the little orange icon lets me know what skills i am missing, and what I need to train. Awesome! Working as intended.

I opened the skill planner to “plan” a skillset, and upon clicking and dragging in “caldari frigate V” it only puts in “Caldari Frigate I”
Why would the skillplanner not pull in the skill i am inputting, and put in prerequisites as well?
What makes this skillplanner better than just writing down what I needed?!
If i drag in “Caldari Freighter” from the “skillsheet”, it auto-populates prerequisites. Good.
When dragging in skills from the Fitting simulation, it only inputs the base skill, and you have to manually go into the skill planner, find the skills, and drag them in one at a time if you have a skill requirement up to lvl V
What is this ■■■■■■■■

Why would the fitting simulator not work hand in hand with the skill “planner”
Why is Evemon a better skill planner than this crap. And we’ve had that for over an actual decade.
This planner is specifically, 100% made for new players, who i presume CCP thinks are afraid of numbers.
This update is not at all intended to help existing paying customers.

Why a company would ignore current sources of income in an update about keeping sales up is beyond my understanding.

5 Likes

I would also like to add that not being able to drag in a simulated fitting into the skill planner, and have it all autoadd skills is an opportunity missed.

2 Likes

yeh I figured that out but didn’t want to point it out to ccp because then they will fix that useful bug and keep their big pile of uselessness

17 Likes

That’s patently untrue: ship skills, shield/armor, weapons, support, industry. All nicely bundled together in groups. It’s actually quite difficult to NOT see it.

13 Likes

3 Likes

And new players continue to ask ten thousand times a day “How do I mine Tritanium?”…

5 Likes

I prefer “Am I supposed to be in an egg?”

1 Like

To be fair, just because they’re not responding doesn’t mean they’re not watching and taking note.

That said, when they screwed up drone behaviour, they responded to tell us it was behaving as intended - then promptly rolled it back a few days later…

1 Like

I’d like to see skills grouped (weapons, tanking, etc) with clearly defined groups, then alphabetical within those groupings. Make it obvious where to go for a skill type, then arrange the skills groups inside that type to easily find the specific skill.

As it is right now, I still find it easier to find a skill by using the search function than by clicking through the interface (that went for the old interface as well as the new).

3 Likes

Is it though?

I don’t hate the new system just because I know what the old system was like. I hate it because it’s wasteful of screen real-estate (dead space), it doesn’t adapt to resizing properly (issues with data overlapping things), it has no consistency of function with other windows within the client, and it looks like it came from the “Toddler’s First UI” aisle at the “Walmart for UX Designs” store (colours and buttons where they’re not needed gaps between lines of data that simply aren’t required, etc).

I also don’t need to know the old system to know that not telling me how long a skill will take to train before I add it to my skill queue is failing to give me critical information about the game.

I also don’t need to know the old system to know that a full-length portrait of my character that costs between 15% and 30% of my frame-rate is not a good thing (I’m running an RTX 3070, why do I need to go and lower character quality, honestly), that the fact that I can’t turn it off/hide it (but I can hide the actual interface I need to work with on the new character sheet) is stupid - sure, I can “cheat” the system and dock it with another window and then undock it - newbros will know that instinctively, right? And they’ll know that you don’t want to do it by the top left corner of the window, but by a spot on the top of the window that’s somewhere to the right of that top left corner (when you dock every other window by the top left). Not knowing that instinctively is just because I’m a 10+ year veteran dinosaur, right?

I know that enforcing a height of 760 pixels on the new character sheet is stupid too, particularly for users who play on laptops and may be running 1280x768 or similar resolutions (the fact that I can’t increase it when I’m running 3440x1440 isn’t much better, frankly). I know that locking the height but then setting a default width that doesn’t display the entire dataset is also stupid.

The new character sheet and skills UIs have fundamental design and usability flaws - that’s not opinion, it’s fact - there have been plenty of studies over the last 30+ years that have gone into good UI/UX design in a personal computing environment, and many aspects of this new UX are going against the learnings of that study.

It was once said by someone much more famous than I that the only really intuitive interface is the nipple. Everything else is learned behaviour. Unless these new (not newish) players completely new to computing (ie they’ve never spent any time interacting with a less broken UI interface) and CCP has somehow managed to insert the rules for manipulating this new interface into their brains alongside the intuitiveness of the nipple as an interface, then no, sorry, you’re wrong here.

That gives me some hope.

3 Likes