Version 19.08 - General Feedback

The feedback is the same when it was on the test server dude, then it somehow made it past QA to live.

Literally no excuses for this broken ass 10 year old designed piece of UI that made it to live.

4 Likes

And thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m going to yell at them about in our meeting today.

3 Likes

Hi

Just got back from first holiday in nearly 3 years to find this!

Okay I donā€™t mind Skill Plans, this might help beginners.

Reading through this thread and the SISI feedback, most of what I donā€™t like has already been well covered.

So here is my precis of the worst.

• To much space between items on the new menu, changing UI size to get it to fit means the rest of the UI becomes harder to read. I think the best summary was most PCā€™s do not use touch screens.
  • No total time left on skill queue. You create huge empty areas and cannot find a place to fit that???

Overall a great example of style over functionality.

1 Like

Here is a screenshot showing my skills window. I can now see a whole 2 rows of skills. Take a guess how long it takes to scroll through all the skills in spaceship command when you see only 2 rowsā€¦

I guess I must be seen as a ā€œbrain dead veteranā€ by a certain someone, as 2 rows is just hurting my brainā€¦

Oh and Eve still crashes for me when I click on my Character window when it starts drawing the full portrait. I get a completely black/blank screen. I was hopeful in the last patch, but Iā€™m slowly getting used to and expecting disappointments.

6 Likes

Here is my screen, looking at the spaceship command.

What resolution screen are you using?

Highest resolution my laptop supports from the Windows Display settings screen:

Resolution

And yes it does meet the official Eve minimum specs.

1 Like

It was already mentioned several times that the new skill UI window does not conform to their stated minimum resolution requirements without looking like more of a trainwreck than it does for the rest of us.

/sigh

Ok. Iā€™ll bring this up.

I am having an issue on one of my alts from my steam account. I just logged in and started adding skills to the que when I finished I noticed my training had paused. I tried to resume it but it didnā€™t do anything.

Any chance you can bring in a compact button for the skill window? Christ its like looking at an A4 worth of content printed on an A3 piece of paper, with the stretch to border option ticked.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying the skill sharing and planning is bad. The idea of being able to move skillplans around is absolutely lightyears ahead of what the old skill system was, but in my opinion, just that portion.
The rest of it didnā€™t need to be changed. Didnā€™t need to be updated. It worked. Poeple have been playing eve with that system for years.
I remember when it first came out. The general reaction to that UI update was overwhelmingly positive. It made sense, it looked cool, and it was a huge step up from the old old skill system.
Removing that for this new and improved UI is mind boggling.
At best it looks like a new UX Design studentā€™s attempt at rushing an assignment an hour before critique.

That being said, I think the overall idea of how the layout would look isnā€™t bad. The idea is there, but this wasnā€™t ready to push to live.

ā€¢Spacing is terrible

• Far too much wasted space in a game about information
  • Font Leading between each section is far too large. You can literally read between the lines
  • The entire UI can be compressed down to a much more manageable size

ā€¢Fonts are too large

• All fonts in the game should be universally the same size
  • Iā€™m not sure, but I think the Skills page uses a slightly different font. Maybe a software limitation?

ā€¢Lack of detailed information

• No information listed for skill points used
  • Unnecessary hoverstate on training que
  • Placement of detailed information that is included is in awkward areas
    (keep Skills, overall SP, Training time, Unallocated SP in the same area. Having this information so far away from each other is infuriating)

ā€¢Neocom Icon is oversized, doesnā€™t change with UI color, and has no click/call to action animation
ā€¢Skillplan window however, is fine. I think that all works as intended, but seeing as how I have no need for skillplans, as I plan things outside of eve, I have no input on that.

At home I actually play this game on both an ultrawide (2560x1080) monitor, as well as a 1024 Ɨ 768 CRT when im running it on the side (literally)
The UI scaling on both of these monitors is terrible. There is no dynamic/responsive coding in place.
The designers may want to take a look into how websites can change their design based on the device accessing it.
With computer screen resolutions so wildily different from eachother, this should have been a base requirement for a UI redesign, right?

@Brisc_Rubal
I understand your positon and what you are trying to accomplish.
I understand that all of this probably isnā€™t easy, or even good for your health.
I know that there are many players who just outright hate this with a passion, and have no input on what could be different.
I for one, personally would like the old UI back completely. (ctrl-z this update please)

I think there is room for a new UI that makes everyone happy. Isnā€™t that something we can strive for? Why does it have to be a side vs. side.
Ignoring veteran players in favor of new players is sick. (letā€™s face it, new players donā€™t stick around because no one wants to spend $$$ on anything right now, and the influx of new players are veterans rerolling a new character)
Prioritizing new player experience over old player opinions is more understandable.
Taking into account both new players and current playerbase is the best, though.

7 Likes

Lest those veteran players decide to unsubscribe their 5 or more accounts, which I have done before, and may very well decide to do again.

2 Likes

I would very much like an option to return to the old UI please. Old character sheet together with the old skills window, without the huge and very unnecessary character picture.

5 Likes

ya, roll it back to 2013. :clown_face:

seriously, here are two things about functionality that should be improved:

• i would like to import skills to new skill plans per copy and paste (from websites or 3rd party tool)
  • i also want to be able to safe the current skill plan to planned skill plans so the user can edit it with ingame tools

Just got out of a meeting with CCP and want to confirm that

He did that. I supported him but did not yell.

Go ahead, ask @CCP_Swift

m

6 Likes

Nice to see positive action and that you and Brisc are conveying the players feeling and problems to CCP. Thank you.

Now I just hope CCP considers the situation properly and makes good decisions for the game, its future and all its players.

2 Likes

hell no they make it even worse.

I fully support your position, I like the new UI, if the big black gap was removed Iā€™d be happy. However I just want to point out that straw manning any objections to the new UI as being people uncomfortable with change, does the complaints a total disservice. I can see this is plainly more than a minority who have a particular personality trait raising objections, there are very legitimate concerns being voiced. It looks to me like people are frustrated youā€™ve not really twigged that.

3 Likes

CCP Patch

5 Likes

I have been reading dozens and dozens of posts complaining about the new UI. Many of the complaints I share - the dead space, for example. Some are about bugs that weā€™ve identified and have been told will be fixed. And there are also plenty of folks who just donā€™t like it because it was changed - these are the ā€œwhy did you fix something that wasnā€™t brokenā€ and ā€œthis just sucks, let me toggle to use the old oneā€ style complaints. They are here, Iā€™ve seen tons of them.

But yes, there are legitimate concerns, and Iā€™ve passed those all on.

3 Likes