Vigilant PVE

Don’t know if this Vigilant fit can do well in PVE for level 3 security missions.
I am still a very new player, why most people are using a Gila as the pirate cruiser to run missions?

[Vigilant, *Vigilant]

Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Reactive Armor Hardener

Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Tracking Computer II
Stasis Webifier II
10MN Afterburner II

250mm Prototype Gauss Gun

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Ancillary Current Router II

Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet II x5

Federation Navy Thorium Charge M x200

The reason they use the Gila is because drones have great speed and track g and don’t require your ship to be in knife fighting range.

1 Like

The Gila has a 500% role bonus for drones which makes a lot of it’s damage potential available to newer players. On the other hand, it is expensive and is about to receive a nerf to drone hitpoints.

As a new player looking for a level 3 mission runner, you’ll be hard pressed to do better than the Gnosis. Again, the role bonuses give you a lot of performance without requiring any skillpoints. and the hull is currently very inexpensive. The Vigilant is popular in PVP, I haven’t seen it mentioned in a PVE context and your fit wastes half the bonuses since you aren’t fitting a web.

2 Likes

As the others have said, the reason the Gila is so popular these days is b/c of the ridiculous drone bonuses. Even after they nerf the drone HP this Spring, they’ll still have 500% damage. So 2 deployed Medium drones are stronger than 5 Heavy drones on any other ship. Also, the Gila can passive shield tank L4s, leaving all those Low slots for damage mods.

Vigilant isn’t the best PvE ship out there, but it’s decent. However, your suggested fit is lacking in a Web, which is what really separates the Vigilant from anything else flying. You can bring a kiting little frigate to an absolute standstill. I’ve found that my own transversal ruins shooting them after that, not their transversal on me.

Here’s what I’d suggest, downgrade as needed…

Cap stable for 10 min, but you won’t need to be firing that whole time, so you’ll recover just fine between targets.

2 Likes

why the plate and DC ? magstab would do better.

2 Likes

This is one of my fits for Abyss, but should shred Lv3 missions since most of the ships are small anyways. It’s cap stable even for max Alpha, but modify to your skills, and preferences. It’s overtanked, but at first that’s safest, then switch to mag stabs as you gain more experience.

If you don’t have T2 gun skills yet, it may take a couple weeks to get there, but it is very worth it. Train up core fitting and gunnery skills as well. With Null ammo, you can hit out to 22km falloff, and with the MWD, you can close in quick to apply even more damage, or switch to Void to just melt bigger targets. You can also swap out the tracking computer for a web, but you’ll lose some range, and the small ships you should be able to easily hit in Lv3 missions without the web. This is also a pricey build, but you can fit for budget as well.

If you try this out for Abyss, start with Tier 1. This fit will also work in Tier 2 with experience and skills, and without implants and boosters. With experience, skills, implants, and boosters, it may be able to do Tier 3. No dark Abyss with ship.

IMPORTANT: Primary warp disrupting and webbing targets first. Also, fly away when taking too much damage, and pickoff straggling targets on way back in. And as always, fly what you can afford to lose.

[Vigilant,]

Damage Control II
Energized Explosive Membrane II
Corelum B-Type Medium Armor Repairer
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II
Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Shadow Serpentis 50MN Microwarpdrive

Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II

Medium Ancillary Current Router II

Valkyrie II x5

Null x 4000
Void x 4000

1 Like

You’ll get better cap return and with some resistance against neuting rats to boot if you stick in a battery instead of recharger and focus recharging on rigs. I know you may be tight on PG but even a medium faction battery will be better if you can’t fit a large.

Also, since its PvE, migth wanna switch from MWD to AB. This will give you more PG, far more cap, lower sig thus making your tank more effective, and possibly free up a rig slot or even 2.

1 Like

I don’t quite understand, do you mean adding in two cap batteries including the one already fitted? I’ve tried out dual cap batteries on many ships, and it’s a funny thing, some ships have better recharge and others are better off with single and recharger. The defense from dual batteries is nice too. But this fit was for max Alpha skills, a well skilled Omega can actually remove the recharger and fit a Webber or another tracking computer, or whatever, and still be cap stable, IIRC. The extra repper is not cap stable and should just be pulsed as needed, or replaced with mag stab or RAH, depending on needs. The fit is just a starting point for ideas.

MWD or afterburner is fine for PvE. Security missions, enemies and gates can be far away, so the MWD can be handy. And I’ve found the sig blooming hasn’t really been much of an issue, even in Abyss, at least in lower tiers. The speed allows you to kite away to catch your breath, and then zoom back in when you are ready for more. And trying out MWD can be good practice for flying Deimos later on, which fits and flies very similarly, and has the MWD bonus for smaller sig.

1 Like

Cruiser class and smaller, usually have a much faster natural recharge rate than BC and above. So you can fit several Batteries, and their own recharge rate will turn that into better Cap overall. But for the bigger ships, you have to include Rechargers b/c they don’t have enough rate on their own.

The reason is b/c the way the math works, the recharge rate isn’t “this much energy per second”. It’s actually “this many seconds until full”. And if you toss a couple Batteries in there, you’re increasing what “full” looks like, but the definition “this many seconds until full” stays the same. So it’s the same time, to fill the new capacity. You get more energy per second b/c it’s filling up that much more in the same amount of time.

3 Likes

It’s a combination of two factors.
The cap recharge rate is proportional to TOTAL cap / recharge time.

Cap batteries give a flat amount of cap, so for BS the % increase in cap recharge is close to what provides a cap recharger. A cap recharger on the other hand give a constant %increase in cap whatever is your ship size.

1 Like

ah classic eve forums, newb asks about level 3s and instead we get abyssal fits.

Anyways for lv3s the vigilant should be very good, 250mm rails plus vigilant damage bonus and you should be able to melt the npcs. And for most missions you can forget blasters, the damage is very nice but the range will have you chasing NPCs all over the room. And with rails you have the range to blap just about everything probably wouldn’t worry about the web bonus too much, it’s a very nice bonus but standard mission rats are pretty slow and easy to hit with out it.

As for the gila it’s the braindead option, can fit a lot of damage and tank on it. I probably wouldn’t use it for level 3s though, drones have to fly out to targets to do damage and in lv3s that usually means spending more time flying all over the place than actually doing damage.

All that said if you are a new player it’s probably worth trying a battle cruiser first, they are far cheaper than pirate cruisers. Like someone else said the gnosis is generally a good option since it gets full bonuses no matter what, also the drone bonus can bail you out if you mess up with your guns and get tackled. If you get comfortable in a gun BC it should be a pretty easy transition to a vigilant. I mostly used the ferox, but the brutix should be pretty close.

Your fit looks pretty much fine I’d probably just swap a few mods for a bit more damage but I also have maxed out skills and plenty of experience flying. Might also make sense to use an MWD the big speed boost can be super useful, although not sure how that would work with your skills. I used a proteus to blitz some lv3s a while back, it’s pretty similar to the vigilant.

2 Likes

When all you are is a nail, everything looks like hammer, I heard.

2 Likes

Imagine it’s a lesson in thinking outside the box. Abyssal fits are designed to handle a wide variety of situations. So it’s not surprising the fit can handle Lv3 missions, they are mostly full of small ships anyways.

The Vigilant has an amazing long range capability with blasters, hitting out to 22-24km+ falloff depending on skills, but at about 4x the tracking of rails, so blasters can better get you out of a sticky situation. If you wisely use mission guides and know the triggers, then in best order, fly to a cloud of enemies to agro, and as you’re killing them off fly to next cloud, slowing and speeding as needed, and repeat till you’re done. I’ve been doing this, in Lv3’s (when my Lv4 agent is being stingy) in an AB fitted blaster thorax with only 18km falloff, as a challenge. Not as nice as an MWD fitted blaster Vigilant tho, which I have parked elsewhere.

And it was stated that the fit was just a starting point. Is the fit as efficient as rails? I don’t know, I’ve never raced them. It might save a couple minutes at most if so. Is the kiting rail Vigilant fun? Yes. Is the speed blasting Vigilant also fun? Hell yah. Since that is the ship he seems to have chosen, the fitting was just a suggestion to the possibilities.

1 Like

Decent fit for what you’re doing. Id try scrapping the damage control for a damage specific hardener or going double eanm’s. For hitting smaller targets you may want to consider dropping down to a 200 size railguns. The vigilant makes an amazing blaster boat also, combined with the stasis webifier bonus it can melt targets with no tracking issues - but you will need the speed to get into range. Always fit some damage specific drones for your missions as well. Make sure your cap is stable whatever you do and if you ever will encounter neuting rats be sure you have the ability to not be sucked dry. Cheers.

Lei

1 Like

[Vigilant, USS Johnnie Reb Mk A]

Shadow Serpentis Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Republic Fleet Tracking Enhancer
Shadow Serpentis Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Shadow Serpentis Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane

Sensor Booster II
Shadow Serpentis Stasis Webifier
Shadow Serpentis Tracking Computer
Shadow Serpentis 10MN Afterburner

Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II

Medium Anti-Explosive Pump II
Medium Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Medium Stasis Drone Augmentor I

Acolyte II x10

Null M x4760
Void M x5240
Scan Resolution Script x1
Targeting Range Script x1
Optimal Range Script x2

This is my cap stable pve lvl3 mission fit for a Vigilant that is cap stable at just under 50% charge. and it should fit your bill as a security mission fit. The total cost is under 900Mil Isk and it is a Tech II / Faction fit.

If this fits ur bill just let me know

2 Likes

Again I want to thanks for everyone’s help, especially on those who recommend the heavy neutron blaster fit instead of my long range railgun fit. I have add a Stasis Webifier in the mid slot for the bonus.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.