Visual effect idea

It’d be cool if they simulated the Coriolis effect when you’re orbiting something at range and firing a long-range weapon at it; the rounds should appear to curve away from your ship as you fly.

1 Like

Why do you need ccp to devote dev time for an useless idea like this?

The OP’s idea is better than having them constantly mess with the UI…

3 Likes

The ISDs keep locking all the fun threads, so people literally have to pull up stuff from last year to get some kind of spicy conversation going.

You follow me everywhere. You’re just like a lost stray dog begging for attention.

1 Like

I think you might be getting your forum alts confused. We’ve never interacted with you being on this one. Maybe this one instead?

The troll only really works if you use the same character to do it. Otherwise it doesn’t really make any sense, because I technically “don’t know” who you are.

We’ll try again at some future date, okay?

4 Likes

I came up with this idea after looking up the average speed of an artillery round in real life, which is a little under 2 km/s. I just think it doesn’t make any sense for artillery rounds in game to cross the two or three kilometers between me and the enemy instantly, at least visually. The rounds should also appear to curve away from my direction of motion relative to the enemy.

There is no coriolis effect this side of EVE gate.

Pssst, EVE physics are entirely made up. :shushing_face:

1 Like

Lol, bummer, because it would probably be super easy to implement.

The Coriolis effect happens when something is moving along the orbiting axis. You shooting perpendicularly to the orbiting axis, while orbiting it. Anyway, it’s a bad idea because the server barely can handle current formulae computations in big fights.

I’d remove bumping effect idea when TiDi pases 10% :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then TiDi drops below 10% and the noclipped together fleets suddenly go into a big bang due to immediatly interacting with all other ships in those fleets, creating a new New Eden cluster and completely wrecking the old one.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Lol wow, nice!

I think such effects would be client side, there is no need to calculate the path of projectiles graphically on the server, only hit or miss. If the hit goes curved or straight line, its rather not important from server point, what you see as graphical effect is played in response to server sending client an information first.

The simulation formulas are here: Turret mechanics - EVE University Wiki

1 Like

It is not client side for missiles.

Hence the epic lag fleets of nullsec Drake blobs circa 2009.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t forget that missiles can be evaded by outrunning them beyond their range and intercepted by smartbombs, so communicating their path and location on a given tick to other clients is necessary.

1 Like

One more reason why people should use turrets.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Coriolis effect is purely graphical, so it’d only need to be calculated client-side.

Actually, no…they would not.

Once the rounds leave your ship there is no orbital force acting on them. There is only a tangential inertia due to Newtons first law of motion. Without an inward force towards your target, the rounds would just follow that tangent in a straight line.

The required inward force is thus simply that required to cancel the tangential vector over the time period the round takes to reach the target…and is a force that is applied once on firing the round. You simply need to cancel out the tangential motion, and the round will actually travel in a straight line towards your target. It must by definition be a straight line…because there is no force acting on the round after it leaves your ship.

It’s all about vectors, and the cancelling out of one vector by applying another.

I didn’t say they’d actually curve away from you, only that they’d appear to from your rotating reference frame. Similar to throwing a ball inwards in a spinning merry-go-round. The Coriolis force - YouTube explains it well.

In an inertial reference frame, such as from a third party looking on from outside, you’d be absolutely correct.