What are your favorite idiot proof mission setups?

If you are a long time forum reader you know I love glass cannon setups that do a ton of dps and have the bare minimum when it comes to tank, well lately I’ve been having a lot of connection issues so I’m looking for some more robust setups. So in this case Idiot proof should mainly mean disconnection poof. You can have all the dps in the world and it doesn’t matter if you are disconnected as it won’t apply to ■■■■. Meanwhile the NPCs gather round and stab you to death with rusty spoons.

I’d like to try and stay as efficient as possible, already losing a lot of warp speed not using machs as much as I’d like too. I managed to throw enough cap mods onto my arty mach to blitz Dread Pirate with some safety (yes you can one shot her with only one gyro!). My main thought it to use marauders, with their higher than base warp speed, massive tank bonuses and decent dps, they should end up doing reasonably well. Also the MJD bonus can be used for mobility and tank. The first few setups that I have been using are mainly old setups I used to use with a few extra cap mods. Paladin, mach, and rattlesnake I mostly just threw on a cap battery.

And of course fits for burner missions are great! This thread on the old forums seems to cover most of them, but it is missing a few and fits can almost always be improved on. and someone poke me to update the link when the forum switch over happens! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6885093

some potential issues:

1. Disconnection mechanics are a little funny right now It seems the server doesn’t see your disconnect for a few minutes after it happens, so extra cap stability is a goal, also one of the primary reasons for this thread. If emergency warps were working I’d be mostly fine, at least outside of burners.

2. Drones or auto-targeting missiles will keep shooting for a little while at least, however that might involve hitting a trigger. Typically when you dc your weapons stop, but if the server doesn’t see the DC it won’t stop the guns.

1 Like

I’ll start with my paladin setup. It’s mostly the same as the one I used years back before bastion only with a cap battery instead of a cap recharger. also the cap power relay is new. swap the MJD for an MWD or another tracking comp depending on the mission. I’d rather run a 4th heatsink and extra tracking comp, and just pulse the rep to stay alive (or use a medium), but overall the ship is still strong <3 bastion

[Paladin, Tachys Cap stable LAR]
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Imperial Navy Heat Sink
Capacitor Power Relay II
Imperial Navy Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Reactive Armor Hardener
True Sansha Large Armor Repairer

Tracking Computer II, Optimal Range Script
Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script
Large Micro Jump Drive
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

Tachyon Beam Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency L
Small Tractor Beam II
Small Tractor Beam II
Salvager II
Bastion Module I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
Large Energy Burst Aerator II

Hobgoblin II x10
Hobgoblin II x5

And while I’m at it how about my rattlesnake setup, pretty much a standard max dps fit with a pithum c-type medium booster and a cap battery. I swap an omni for a prop mod and carry a mobile depot for fit swaps. Tank might little low for some things though, thinking of putting specific hardeners on it.

[Rattlesnake, DPS T2]
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Ballistic Control System II

Pithum C-Type Medium Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Republic Fleet Target Painter
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script
Federation Navy Omnidirectional Tracking Link, Optimal Range Script

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Drone Control Range Augmentor II
Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Gecko x1
Garde II x2
Curator II x2
Warden II x2

2 Likes

Might want a Prop Mod on the Snake, Most missions require at least a bit of travel.

Also I think the snakes tank is very light for a DC proof ship, Maybe add a DC2 in place of a damage mod.

As for the paladin, I don’t think you need the power relay, generally your guns will shut off when you DC (at the very least you should kill your target pretty quickly) so you only really need cap stability with the guns off. And Finally a faction recharger gives you more regen at less cost than a faction battery.

2 Likes

A very important point on a shaky connection is that bastion mode prevents e-warps. So if you use it and disconnect on grid you’ll have to hope you log in fast enough.

I’d think most battleships would be alright so long as you take out scram frigs. A MJD rattler maybe?

2 Likes

I do not have any truly idiot proof fits for myself, but considering the presented issue I’d say that a perma tanked MJD Cruise Golem with a gistum med rep should fit the requirements. Fit a sebo, don’t use a painter, jump between gates so that you are at least 100 km away from npcs and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Can refit prop mod easily, although, that said imo the snake is too slow to use in most missions where movement is needed. generally only pull it out for gone berserk where I can just let it shoot fofs and drone dps everything down before tank becomes an issue. For the whole mission pool it is light on tank for sure, I’d probably drop a few lows for cap flux and use a large booster, and/or fit a specific tank. I used it a few times to test with it, and probably won’t be using it much more in the future. It’s slow, and the mismatch between firing the missiles and the missiles hitting targets combined with instant sentry drone dps just makes it unwieldy imo.

I like the buffer cap and neut resistance with the cap battery. Definitely right that the cap recharger gives more cap/s recharge though, and a faction version is only 20mil, so probably worth picking up. And it has to be cap stable enough with tank and guns running as disconnects can happen whenever, and when I’m active I’m going to be shooting the guns. and the CPR allows for a mwd re-fit. Sure my old (years back when marauders were still newish) fit had ~5mins of cap but enough regen that it pretty much never went below peak. this fit has less regen than that,

ewarp mechanics are very sketchy right now. My tests show it can take over 4 mins to register and attempt an ewarp so I’d rather be disconnected in bastion than out of it. In bastion I expect to sit there for 4 mins and come back and still be there, and if i can’t get back in ~4mins the 5min npc aggro timer starts counting down and after that the ship should disappear. Also bastion gives a nice range bonus which makes up for dropping a tracking comp or two.

I was thinking a setup like that with a barghest as the missile velocity bonus lets you hit at 100km before the next volley fires, but using missiles pretty much puts me to sleep. I included the rattlesnake because I used it in a few missions, but probably won’t continue to use it.

1 Like

This thread in the old forums about log off timers and module status might be helpful.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=514705

Impact of Disconnect During a Burner Mission

Zarek Kree
Lunatic Legion Holdings

• 2017-03-20 17:32:02 UTC
    Edited by: Zarek Kree

TL;DR: All offensive modules regardless of slot position immediately deactivate as soon as the server declares you logged off (immediately in the case of a manual log off or after exactly 4:15 in the case of a disconnect). All other modules, regardless of slot position, continue to function until you disappear from grid exactly 5 min later.

Initial Post

I had some trouble finding a definitive answer to what happens if you get disconnected while engaged with NPCs during a mission, so I wanted to recount my experience. I inadvertently burned my missile launchers out while running the Burner Serpentis mission leaving me with no working offensive modules (experiment gone awry). However, I was running a cap stable Hawk fit so I could tank him indefinitely with my shield booster running. He had me scrammed and webbed of course, so there was no getting away from him. At 35 m/s, it would have taken me many hours to move far enough from the warp-in point to get him to disengage, so I had no choice but to log out.

I can confirm that active modules in your mid slots (and presumably your low slots as well) will continue to function during the 5 min NPC aggression timer. I logged back in after about 10 min and found myself sitting at the mission gate with no damage, so my shield booster must have continued to function until my ship was removed from the grid. I docked up, repaired my launchers and warped back to the mission to finish up with no issues (the Serpentis Daredevil was simply hanging around about 100 km from warp-in where I had disappeared).

This is one of the best reasons I’ve seen yet to use cap stable burner fits. If you DO get a disconnect, you won’t lose your ship. Maybe others knew this, but after a search, all I could find was vague innuendo regarding the action of mid and low modules following a DC. Presumably your high slot modules WILL shut down, but I can’t confirm that.

UPDATE

I ran some additional testing with a second character watching my main. As suggested below, I had my alt simply jump into the mission room in a cheap frigate, get destroyed and then observed my mission ship from the pod. I ran several tests against both the Burner Serpentis Daredevil (2 point scram) and the 3 Burner Talos (1 point disrupt) using cap stable ships. The Talos mission also requires the use of a prop mod to speed tank. My observations follow - some of which appear to be new information:

1. Log off detection: If you log off manually, the server immediately declares you logged off and you drop from fleet and disappear from local. If you get a disconnect (that I simulated by simply turning off my wifi), the server declares you logged off exactly 4:15 later. I know 4:15 is an odd number, but it was perfectly consistent across numerous runs.

2. Module functionality prior to log off: Until the server declares you logged off, ALL modules continue to function as you left them and your ship continues following your last command. Your guns will continue to fire until they run out of ammo. Obviously, this only applies to a disconnect since log off is immediate if done manually.

3. Module functionality after log off: Once the server declares you logged off, all offensive modules, to include guns, webs and scrams immediately deactivate. However all other tested modules, to include shield boosters, armor reppers, hardeners and prop mods continue to function until the 5 min aggression timer elapses.

4. Ship status if pointed: If you’re scrammed (2 points) OR disrupted (1 point), you stay in the mission pocket after log off until the 5 min aggression timer elapses (with all defensive and prop mods functioning). At that point, you simply disappear from grid. If you log back in before 5 min elapses, you come back to your ship in the pocket just as you left it with defensive modules and prop mods functioning and the ship following the last commands given.

5. Ship status if NOT pointed: If you are NOT scrammed or disrupted, then you immediately align and auto-warp out of the pocket as soon as the server declares you logged off (which happens immediately in the case of a manual log off or 4:15 later in the case of a disconnect). If you log back in before 5 min elapses, you subsequently auto-warp back into the pocket - at which point, defensive modules will continue to operate, but prop mods will not be active and your ship will come to a stop.

6. NPC actions: The NPC continues to engage as long as your ship is on grid regardless of your log in status. It moves back to the mission beacon once you disappear from grid or auto-warp away.

7. Actions when aggression timer elapses: The 5 min aggression timer begins when the server declares you logged off. When it elapses, you ALWAYS disappear from space regardless of where you are (at the auto-warp point or in the mission pocket) or whether you’re being scrammed or disrupted. This means that, in the case of a disconnect, it takes exactly 9:15 to disappear from space (4:15 for the server to declare you logged off plus the 5 min aggression timer). In the case of a manual log off, it takes 5 min to disappear.

8. Logging back in: If you log back in after the aggression timer elapses, you reappear at the acceleration gate with all modules deactivated. If you log back in before the timer has elapsed, you either rejoin your ship in the mission pocket (if pointed) or auto-warp back into the pocket (if not pointed).

I know there’s a lot of information there, but I tried to make it as clear as possible.

5 Likes

Yea I remember seeing that thread, but I think I missed some of the updates. Definitely was seeing the the 4:15 disconnect timer typically plus a few seconds in my testing. I put in a bug report on that, going to updated it with a link to that post.

imo the 4m 15s timer to even disconnect is a bit nuts given your ship will die on almost any DC unless you overtank it. If you are pointed or in bastion that is a 9m15s window, which just seems crazy to me. I just can’t imagine that as being intentional.

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying, but that upper limit of 9:15 in the event of a DC makes sense in terms of current server mechanics. The 4:15 disconnect timer reflects the life of a ping packet (255 seconds). And then the additional 5 min reflects the NPC aggression timer. In order to change it, they’d have to alter the mechanics governing one of those. The final outcome may or may not be what they intended, but each value represents a conscious programming decision.

I don’t see them messing with the aggression timer, but you could probably make a good case for lowering the TTL of the ping packets that confirm your computer is still active (255 sec is the maximum possible value). 4:15 to detect a DC does seem like a long time. I’m hard pressed to see the disadvantage of reducing it to something like 70 sec (anything greater than an invulnerability timer). Of course, I’m not a programmer so I have no idea if that’s an easy or hard adjustment. Might be a worthy topic to pass on to a CSM or at least post to the Features and Ideas forum.

1 Like

I’m under the assumption that it is unintended as I have had connection/cashing issues in the past and never lost ships then.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I wonder what changed and why? The DC mechanics are one of those undocumented aspects of the game that they seem to modify without patch notes.

2 Likes

If you want an idiot proof setup, this idiot runs a passive Rattlesnake. I have disconnected several times in the past on a certain public connection and had no problems when I managed to log back in.

3 Likes

I concur with a passive Snake as being pretty idiot proof. Below is my variation on it. Instead of passive tank, it’s a cap stable active tank configured to run all of the other modules you might need during a mission (things like tractor beam, MJD and AB). Defensive modules continue to run during a DC, so it will permatank most sites until reconnect or warp off. Obviously, it can be modified to taste as long as you can maintain the cap stability.

[Rattlesnake, Cap Stable Active Tank]

Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Gist X-Type Shield Boost Amplifier
Large Micro Jump Drive
Pith X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Gist X-Type 100MN Afterburner
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Heavy Missile
Small Tractor Beam I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit II

Federation Navy Hobgoblin x5
Salvage Drone I x5
Hornet EC-300 x5
Gecko x1
Gecko x1

1 Like

I generally run this if I am worried about connection. Depending on the mission, I will swap out the power relays for damage mods, or damage mods for power relays. Playing around in EFT, it can get pretty solid, especially if you run T2 purgers.
The Gist X-Type Fields keep the costs down and are still great. If you’re not worried about gankability, I guess you could go Pith or Officer?
If you log back in and find that you are pointed by an NPC and your gecko or whatever was lost, you have ECM drones to break free and warp out if need be; or I suppose if mission ganker shows up… if that’s a thing?
Can swap out that 500mn for a MJD if you want to get out of dodge after a re-log-in…

[Low Slot]
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Caldari Navy Shield Power Relay
Caldari Navy Shield Power Relay

[Mid Slot]
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II ---- Tracking Script
Gist X-Type EM Ward Field
Gist X-Type Thermal Dissipation Field
500mn Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive

[High Slot]
Cruise Missile Launcher II
Drone Link Augmentor II

[Rig Slot]
Large Core Defense Field Purger I

[Drone Bay]
1x Gecko
2x (Race-specific Sentry II drones)
5x Hobgoblin II
1x Hornet EC-300
1x Hornet EC-600
1x Hornet EC-900

1 Like

why you simply do not use tach Oracle on some missions? good for blitz, no problems with cap, if you disconnect - you warp immediatly out (by game).

1 Like

if by immediately you mean 4m15+ later as shown in the thread…

1 Like

do you ever tried to use an ABC on a missions?
tach Oracle - more than 500 dps on 100-130 km, you faster (base speed) than any NPC ship except spider drone.
a few days ago a game thought that i am not in game and warp me out from mission

1 Like

I’m just not willing to trust that mechanic at this time. I’m somewhat interested in ABCs for mission running, but they are a little too glass cannon for me right now. I could see them working as a disposable low/nullsec use. And in highsec I think they get massively overshadowed by the mach, giving BS sized fitting, and even faster warp speed.

Passive snake is an option, Picked one up cheap with t2 purgers (hurray for being online when the pirate bs thread went up)

Also this is what I came up with for blitzing Dread Pirate, my current in game fitting actually has less tank, but it was breaking in one of the rooms so I EFT’d a bit more. I made a very similar Mach fit, but I don’t know that I trust the tank. Also looks like it needs a gist booster which is more than I want to spend.
[Vargur, arty cap stable]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Shield Boost Amplifier II
Shadow Serpentis 500MN Microwarpdrive
Pith B-Type Large Shield Booster

1400mm Howitzer Artillery II, Republic Fleet EMP L
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
Bastion Module I

Large Projectile Burst Aerator II

[Machariel, MWD 1400s warp speed Shields cap stable]
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Power Diagnostic System II
Power Diagnostic System II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Gist B-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Shadow Serpentis 500MN Microwarpdrive

Small Tractor Beam II

Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Warrior II x5
Warden II x4

1 Like

Maybe this fit, cap stable same tank with more EHP and better DPS.

EDIT - Sorry just noticed that you have a X-Large not Large. That would have more tank but this still has 1500 which is fine for Missions.

[Vargur, Test - Vargur]

Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Damage Control II

Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster
Gist X-Type 500MN Microwarpdrive

Bastion Module I
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Large Projectile Burst Aerator II

1 Like

perma SB running tengu with missiles. using TP to aggro the whole room > orbit a wreck and melt everything.

1 Like